+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split

manu.yoganand

Dec 28, 2017
If you reside in Ontario, you can split your given name by applying for a name change certificate.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name#section-0

Once you obtain the name change certificate, you can then change the name in bank account, driving license, health card by visiting any Service Ontario centre.

You can then change your name in SIN by visiting any Service Canada centre.

Then you can change the name in your PR card by submitting a renewal application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace.html

Simultaneously, assuming you are an Indian passport holder, you can split your name in your passport too.

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/new_ppt.php

As someone who has done all the above process, I can say that it will take around 5 to 6 months. Good luck :)

Hi Vishal,
This is required if you are doing a Legal Name Change. You don't need to do this if you are splitting your name.
For name split simply get your Indian passport corrected. Once you have a corrected passport reach out to CIC to correct your PR card. Post that get your DL, OHIP and SIN corrected

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Hi Vishal,
This is required if you are doing a Legal Name Change. You don't need to do this if you are splitting your name.
For name split simply get your Indian passport corrected. Once you have a corrected passport reach out to CIC to correct your PR card. Post that get your DL, OHIP and SIN corrected
I did around 5 years back. May be this got changed. Thanks for updating though.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi Vishal,
You have a point mate. I thought the same thing too. When I reached out to Service Canada, the agent there told me that even if my passport would be corrected, they wouldn't correct my SIN number. They told me they would accept only a document such as Name change document. Hence, the reason for me applying for the same.

manu.yoganand

Dec 28, 2017
You have a point mate. I thought the same thing too. When I reached out to Service Canada, the agent there told me that even if my passport would be corrected, they wouldn't correct my SIN number. They told me they would accept only a document such as Name change document. Hence, the reason for me applying for the same.
Well, I did mine in 2017.. and didnt have to go through a legal name change. Just get my passport corrected, then the PR card.. then other documents.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Well, I did mine in 2017.. and didnt have to go through a legal name change. Just get my passport corrected, then the PR card.. then other documents.
That was fortunate.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
The key to his success, I believe is to get your PR card corrected before SIN card. If you get your PR card corrected, they should be willing to accept that.
Yes that probably would have worked. In the end, the name change process is behind me :)