+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split on Indian Passport

Mvrsingh123

Mar 1, 2021
I have a question. My Indian passport contains only given name: Xxxx Yyyy. My Canadian passport contains surname as Yyyy and Given name as Xxxx.

When submitting OCI application, do I need to attach any additional document to prove that my name is same, but not split correctly in Indian passport.

I am planning to surrender my passport and OCI application together.

Dogman13

Mar 18, 2021
@Gurindar Thank you so much for this thread, and for your outstanding explanation of the whole process. I'm on the same boat and starting this process (of splitting name on Indian passport and then on Canadian SIN, DL, health card, PR card) now. I was hoping you or anyone here can help answer some related queries:

1) I have a car lease (3 yrs lease ending Sep 2023) with Nissan Financial Services. After name split and DL update- wondering how I'd go about updating name with this. Should I update the DL first, then a) vehicle registration (Service Ontario?), b) Insurance, c) contact Nissan Dealership about this. Or would any other order be better? If anyone has any inputs here, would be super helpful.

2) When you updated the SIN and DL- did the document numbers change?

3) Did you have to get in touch with credit reporting agencies (Equifax/ Transunion) or was this not necessary? Just so my credit file doesn't get affected..

Thank you all again so much. Be safe.

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
@Gurindar Thank you so much for this thread, and for your outstanding explanation of the whole process. I'm on the same boat and starting this process (of splitting name on Indian passport and then on Canadian SIN, DL, health card, PR card) now. I was hoping you or anyone here can help answer some related queries:

1) I have a car lease (3 yrs lease ending Sep 2023) with Nissan Financial Services. After name split and DL update- wondering how I'd go about updating name with this. Should I update the DL first, then a) vehicle registration (Service Ontario?), b) Insurance, c) contact Nissan Dealership about this. Or would any other order be better? If anyone has any inputs here, would be super helpful.
{Guri} - I think once you correct your DL everything will fall into place .
2) When you updated the SIN and DL- did the document numbers change?
{Guri} -No , only names gets corrected
3) Did you have to get in touch with credit reporting agencies (Equifax/ Transunion) or was this not necessary? Just so my credit file doesn't get affected..
{Guri} -No, your SIN is the unique identifier to them also DOB is one more aspect. It wont get affected as it did not for me for sure .

Thank you all again so much. Be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogman13

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
I have a question. My Indian passport contains only given name: Xxxx Yyyy. My Canadian passport contains surname as Yyyy and Given name as Xxxx.

When submitting OCI application, do I need to attach any additional document to prove that my name is same, but not split correctly in Indian passport.

I am planning to surrender my passport and OCI application together.
Sorry i am not sure but reason to stream line passport and canadian documents "only" i did this proactively before gaining Citizenship . But you can give that reason or explanation . Speak with Indian Embassy i would suggest .

skrmenon

Dec 13, 2017
I think the 2 documents got added recently if I am not mistaken . If you have resided in Canada for 3 years - Then get the Ontario Name change certificate first and then use it to update your Canadian DL . Then you have two public Canadian documents .
Hi Gurinder,
it looks like i missed the legal name change part in canada and went ahead submitting the application and taking an appoinment with BLS in Canada. The only issue is that i do not have two supporting documents to show the legal name change.
I did see that thanvi2001 has recommended that you can go ahead with or without the split name.

Any suggestions ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Gurinder,
it looks like i missed the legal name change part in canada and went ahead submitting the application and taking an appoinment with BLS in Canada. The only issue is that i do not have two supporting documents to show the legal name change.
I did see that thanvi2001 has recommended that you can go ahead with or without the split name.

Any suggestions ?
Many people used different names which are known as "alias".

I would go to a notary public and get an alias document.

Dogman13

Mar 18, 2021
@Gurindar, Thank you so much! Very helpful. One last question regarding the Ontario name change form.

Part 4 of the application requires a guarantor falling under specific professions. I don't really know anyone in those professions and was wondering if there was a work around? Also don't know anyone in Canada that falls under :"someone other than a relative who has known you for at least five years".

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@Gurindar, Thank you so much! Very helpful. One last question regarding the Ontario name change form.

Part 4 of the application requires a guarantor falling under specific professions. I don't really know anyone in those professions and was wondering if there was a work around? Also don't know anyone in Canada that falls under :"someone other than a relative who has known you for at least five years".
Have you opened a bank account at your local branch? You might ask there. You might think you do not know anyone well but if the person who opened your account is a signing officer, or even had the signing officer look in (which they probably did even if you weren't paying attention), they might be willing to.

Otherwise almost any religious institution if they know you, even casually.

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
Well its a common problem as informed to me for Indian Passport holders with various reasons .

My Problem
My Indian passport while I became PR of Canada has my full name "XXXXX XXX XXXX" in Give Name and Surname as blank , though i have a surname in my full name (marked) . It was mistake needed to be rectified but couldn't do so .
Now as you all know in Canada/US your surname is mandatory field , having said so ideal scenario is to put your whole name in your surname to counter the enforcement . I did that .
Now my Indian passport was about to expire and my PR card is almost 9 months away from renewal - I have decided to split my name properly and get it consistent across all my Canadian IDs and PR Card .Having read numerous posts at the forum itself . Now as per Name split process without requiring any Legal Name change I have renewed my Indian passport and now Surname field has "XXXX" and Given Name has "XXXXX XXX"
Questions
1. As PR Card or Landing Document was provided to me referencing my Indian Passport , Can i again refer my corrected indian Passport( Not a Legal name change its a Name Split logically ) to correct my name and then refer the PR card to Service Ontario to change ( SIN , Health Card and Driving License ) ?
or
2. Do I need to go Legal Name change process ( which to me is not Name change Logically and is lengthy Process) to first get updated my Canadian IDs and then use that Legal Name change certificate to leverage PR card renewal with Name change .
I would prefer option 1 , but will it be successful for sure if I explain the problem to CIC or do I need to go via option 2 . Expert opinions please
@Gurindar Hi Gurinder,
Thank much for such a detailed explanation. I do have a question about your travel to Canada for the first time. Since you did not have your last name, how the name was written on your visa and how did you book (putting a first name and last name while booking the ticket) the flight ticket when coming to Canada for the first time? Was there any trouble given by the airline or immigration officer in India? Appreciate your help on this.

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
@Gurindar Hi Gurinder,
Thank much for such a detailed explanation. I do have a question about your travel to Canada for the first time. Since you did not have your last name, how the name was written on your visa and how did you book (putting a first name and last name while booking the ticket) the flight ticket when coming to Canada for the first time? Was there any trouble given by the airline or immigration officer in India? Appreciate your help on this.
I came on WP so , my WP had the Full name under Family Name because it can be left blank ( I think immigration softwares are like that) , rest dont worry about flight tickets , if its a mistake in your passport due to which your fill name in Given Name , follow your passport if possible even if you dont follow and put you split the name as well that works fine as well .

I booked my flights always , as my first name and last name filled while booking and never faced any troubles !

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
I came on WP so , my WP had the Full name under Family Name because it can be left blank ( I think immigration softwares are like that) , rest dont worry about flight tickets , if its a mistake in your passport due to which your fill name in Given Name , follow your passport if possible even if you dont follow and put you split the name as well that works fine as well .

I booked my flights always , as my first name and last name filled while booking and never faced any troubles !
Thanks for your prompt reply, really appre. Air canada asked me to put Lnu ( Last name unknown) in last name while booking ticket.
This is how my passport is:
First Name: Abc Xyz
Last Name: blank

and the ticket is:
Abcxyz Lnu

notice no space between Abc and Xyz as Air Canada system does not allow spaces in first name. I was wondering if you or anyone here have had experience with the travel with such format of the name on the ticket.

And even when you came with WP , you must have had a visa (counterfoil) stick on your passport page. How the name was written on that?
Format on visa (counterfoil) is:
Last Name, First Name

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
Thanks for your prompt reply, really appre. Air canada asked me to put Lnu ( Last name unknown) in last name while booking ticket.

and the ticket is:
Abcxyz Lnu

notice no space between Abc and Xyz as Air Canada system does not allow spaces in first name. I was wondering if you or anyone here have had experience with the travel with such format of the name on the ticket.

And even when you came with WP , you must have had a visa (counterfoil) stick on your passport page. How the name was written on that?
Last Name, First Name
All canadian immigration document will be with First Name : blank and Surname as full name . Rest as far as travelling is concerned i never faced any problem as quoted if i split my name correctly across first name and last name .

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015

and the ticket is:
Abcxyz Lnu

Last Name, First Name
Yes, Air Canada would use the FirstName LNU format. I have traveled with such tickets for years. Never had a problem.