+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split on Indian Passport

basith_ab

Feb 23, 2019
A couple of questions related to the name split process I'm about to begin, based on my research, I would like to request some help from you guys.
Name on passport : Firstname: XY Lastname: blank.

The options while filling out the application forms as of 2022 are as follows

Passport Type
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory

Applying for* Fresh Passport Re-issue of Passport:cool:
Reissue Reason
Change In Existing Personal Particulars :cool:
Validity Expired Within 3 Years/Due To Expire :cool:
Exhaustion Of Pages
Damaged Passport
Lost Passport
Validity Expired More Than 3 Years Ago

(when Change In Existing Personal Particulars is selected the following options under please specify appear)
Please Specify
Given Name:cool:
Address
Spouse Name
Signature
Delete Ecr
Appearance
Date Of Birth
Surname:cool:
Others:cool:

If other, specify: GIVEN NAME IS ONLY SOUGHT TO SPLIT

Type of Application* Normal:cool: Tatkaal
Type of Passport Booklet* 36 Pages :cool: 60 Pages

:cool: - indicates the option I selected.

If we consider the required documents checklist from BLS for renewal of passport - checklist-and-information-booklet-for-Passport-May-13.pdf (blsindia-canada.com)

+Additional documents as per applicable case below: Re-issue of Passport with change in personal particulars
(ii) Change of name (other than above) (k)Two public documents issued by Government authorities (l)Original Newspaper advertisement/clippings from two leading newspapers.

my questions are as follows:

1)should I just select others in the application form and specify GIVEN NAME IS ONLY SOUGHT TO SPLIT or should keep given name, surname checked as well? (because in reality my given name or name isn't changing it's just the given name XY is split into X under first name and Y under last name).

2) I see from the discussion a written declaration is enough for name split should I Follow the same or the requirements as per BLS mentioned above at +.

3) if I have to follow BLS checklist, what are the two documents being asked for(how can I get them) and should I get the newspaper advertisement?

considering the scenario, I have got the name split on the passport successfully

4)can I use the TRV stamped on my old passport with a blank Lastname to travel or should I apply for a TRV again once I get the passport with the name split updated? (TRV - temporary resident visa)

5)should I get my name changed on my work permit? if so what would be the process?

If everything goes as planned I'm expecting the following process:

step 1) apply for renewal along with name split application first

step 2) upon receiving the updated passport get the work permit updated

step 3) once work permit is updated get SIN, DL and health card udpated

now that all my documents are consistent and updated apply for PR with the latest changes.

Thanks, everyone for the support

Snehathomas

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi,

I had my updated my Indian passport with the name split, now it has both first and last name.
I'll be applying for Canadian Citizenship in the next 2-3 months and I'm wondering now:
If I should apply for Legal Name Change in Canada and then the DL, SIN, Healthcard etc before citizenship application to have both first and last name on the Canadian Citizenship and passport.

Has anyone went through the process?
Thanks

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I had my updated my Indian passport with the name split, now it has both first and last name.
I'll be applying for Canadian Citizenship in the next 2-3 months and I'm wondering now:
If I should apply for Legal Name Change in Canada and then the DL, SIN, Healthcard etc before citizenship application to have both first and last name on the Canadian Citizenship and passport.

Has anyone went through the process?
Thanks
You probably should be able to get the DL changed on basis of your Indian passport WITHOUT undertaking a separate legal change of name procedure in Canada (they should recognize that), and after that, change healthcard and SIN (for example). Those should really only take a couple months.

Then you can apply for citizenship under new name. Frankly I'd apply for replacement PR card just before and show IRCC you'd applied for that as well (I think that might take the longest).

If you have any issue at any of these then sure - do the change of name procedure in your province.

But whatever you do: my suggestion is 'pick a lane.' Don't try to change name after submitting the citizenship app.

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
You probably should be able to get the DL changed on basis of your Indian passport WITHOUT undertaking a separate legal change of name procedure in Canada (they should recognize that), and after that, change healthcard and SIN (for example). Those should really only take a couple months.

Then you can apply for citizenship under new name. Frankly I'd apply for replacement PR card just before and show IRCC you'd applied for that as well (I think that might take the longest).

If you have any issue at any of these then sure - do the change of name procedure in your province.

But whatever you do: my suggestion is 'pick a lane.' Don't try to change name after submitting the citizenship app.
Hi, please don't do this. According to another post, in another thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-split-in-passport-copr-and-pr-card.394798/post-10580473
PR Card renewal doesn't honor the change in name in passport.

If you are like me, and have citizenship required days, almost finished, and want to get a canadian citizenship with proper name, all you need to do is:
Do name change process in Provincial Government office. For Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-name#section-0
You can choose to update Driving License and other documents, upto you. Not necessary.
Then when you get the certificate of name change, while filling out the citizenship application as described in:
All you have to do is, upload the name change certificate. More information is linked here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#AppendixA

Then after citizenship, if you were Indian desendant, you can apply for OCI, with the name change certificate too. https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Toronto-OCI-Miscellaneous-Checklist-Rev-8.0.pdf
Read name variation section in this PDF

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, please don't do this. According to another post, in another thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-split-in-passport-copr-and-pr-card.394798/post-10580473
PR Card renewal doesn't honor the change in name in passport.
You'll note from the other that they did NOT do what I suggested, getting supporting ID in Canada like Driver's License.

That said: I agree that going through the provincial legal Change of Name procedure is likely the most reliable. (Although I don't know how it gets reflected in laws of other countries, eg could you change your foreign passport on basis of Canadian change of name).

Anyway my main comment: do your change of name before or after the citizenship app, not during.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

khushsangha

Sep 14, 2023
I started this thread to get straight answers but unfortunately the weird problem it was - There was no sure shot directions to correct the problem statement described at the start of the thread .

As i have gone through the whole cycle of correcting my passport , Canadian Federal/Provincial IDs and last not the least PR card successfully today , I thought it becomes necessary i share within this forum .

Actually the process takes 4 Months , if every step is cleared within normal stipulated time . for me it took 7 months .

First Step((Mid Feb to Mid March) - Corrected my Indian passport which was about to expire and waiting for renewal .
- I used correction along with renewal as an opportunity of completing two things in one shot .
- Passport renewal checklist has this option -  If given name or surname is only sought to be split:
  1. Please ensure that the form is filled as per the desired name
  2. Written declaration explaining the reason you want your name split
I followed this step and filled my form in beginning of February and around the time of the start of this thread - I have the Indian Passport renewed with name splitted as intended .

Second Step ( Mid June - End of Aug) - As you would have noticed that i was in dilemma when i asked to pursue legal name change process in Canada , OR try to write a cover letter to CIC while my PR Card renewal to explain the situation and hope its just works ( I have read for only person it worked - could be a kind visa officer) . One if it would have worked - I would have used my updated PR card to change federal/provincial IDs/Docs . Chance of latter working in my favour were low as it could be possibility that visa office would not have entertained my cover letter or explanation and would have requested a legal name change document or if would have agreed and reflected changes to PR card . May be Federal or Provincial Govt agencies would have asked for the legal name change document instead PR Card as an Proof. I chose to go with Legal Name change Process first .

I filled Form Number: 007-11155E "Application to Change an Adult's Name" and went to below address for Submit in person along with completed form, payment(137$) and required documents/proofs . Good part of going in person "oath" and all happens within the same office which is time and effort saving aspect .

ServiceOntario
47 Sheppard Avenue East, Unit 417, 4th Floor
Toronto, ON
M2N 5N1

As per office it take 8 weeks to get the legal name change certificate if and all everything is correct. I had a bummer where i assumed the officials in office will ensure everything is fine with documentation and proofs , and unfortunately i missed one signature in the long application form . After applying around Mid June , Around Mid of July i get the whole application back to be asked to put the god damn signature . I fumed like hell for 1-2 days in anger . Gathered my patience and sent the documents again and reviewed it "n" no of times before dropping it to the Canada post office .

By around End of August I have the Legal Name change certificate with me .

3rd Step ( One Day ) Again i was dilemma shall i update my federal/provincial documents now that i have a legal name change document or do I wait once my PR Card gets updated and then go for it . I was sure about provincial ( OHIP and DL ) IDs has nothing to be worried about , but was not sure of SIN , As SIN and PR Card are both federal documentation . On some day i chose to ignore my delimma and went to update successfully my SIN , DL , OHIP . Please note SIN gets updated in Service Canada whereas DL and OHIP in Service Ontario in case of Doubts .

Huuuuuuff so 3 Steps are covered , now it was time to put a final nail on the box.

4th Step - ( End of Sep - End of Oct) . Finally i was ready with my PR Card renewal application , Where is checked the check box for "Legal Name change" and provided the necessary proof . It took almost a month Today I received my PR Card renewed successfully with name splitted as intended.

The long wait of correcting my documents are finally over , Took almost 7 months but as I said if you are ready for above steps reading above information and you are living in Ontario - All these steps will minimum take 4 months and people bit lazy like me could double the time :) .

I hope my experience helps somebody who is in similar problem .

Thankyou , I can sleep peacefully today .

Would you be able to still go back home and come back canada before you changed your name. As I have same issue and wondering can I still travel and re enter canada if my India passport have no last name and my pr card have no given name. ??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would you be able to still go back home and come back canada before you changed your name. As I have same issue and wondering can I still travel and re enter canada if my India passport have no last name and my pr card have no given name. ??
Should be okay if the names are the same. But: check with the airline. CBSA at port of entry will almost certainly be fine.

cboy585

Mar 7, 2023
I have a old passport with given name xxxx yyyy and surname as blank and I applied for tourist visa with that name which was refused for other reasons, now I have a new passport with split name given name is xxxx and surname as yyyy, while applying for visitor visa can I choose i have previous names and mention the above one? or do i need to provide any letter for this?