+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
Hi,

If your going to split your name in your Indian passport.. It doesn't take 12 months. You need to go to Consulate General of India. It will only take you 1 day. You can do your passport renewal and name split then. After you get it done you can request for new PR card with your split name.
Thank you! Yes the passport name split doesn't take 12 months. It's because all my details in Ontario were entered as a different name, Ontario requires a minimum of 12 months stay for me to process name change for those docs. Also, as @manu.yoganand said, were you able to change your name in PR card with just the new passport as supporting document?

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
So, when I did it, I was a PR for 2 years, but only 6 months in Canada/Ontario.

1. Submitted an application to Consulate for passport renewal with correct name and a letter explaining the issue,
2. Submitted PR card renewal form to IRCC with all necessary documents + copy of letter submitted to Indian consulate, similar letter addressed to IRCC + Copy of old and new passport showing a link (old passport will say cancelled, and last page of new passport will have old passport no.)
3. Once PR got updated, submitted a request to edit DL, OHIP and SIN.

Whole process took about 4 months during pre-pandemic era! Please note, only your PR Card gets updated, COPR never gets updated

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017

1. Submitted an application to Consulate for passport renewal with correct name and a letter explaining the issue,
2. Submitted PR card renewal form to IRCC with all necessary documents + copy of letter submitted to Indian consulate, similar letter addressed to IRCC + Copy of old and new passport showing a link (old passport will say cancelled, and last page of new passport will have old passport no.)

Whole process took about 4 months during pre-pandemic era! Please note, only your PR Card gets updated, COPR never gets updated
Another thing! While submitting the form for PR card renewal, do not select “LEGAL NAME CHANGE”. You are not legally changing your name, just splitting it.

Reactions: speedthestar

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019

Great! So they added the 12 month rule only recently then. Good to know about the PR card, I'll give it a try once my passport is done! And yes noted I won't select legal name change :)
You guys have been great @manu.yoganand and @armoured :D

Reactions: manu.yoganand

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
Nops, the 12 month rule is for “Legal name change”, which I believe has been there for quite sometime.
Oh okay I don't have to go for that category altogether! I just submitted my passport for renewal today, once that comes back I'll apply for the PR card renewal. Thank you again for all your detailed inputs :D

Reactions: manu.yoganand

vjchaurasia

Mar 4, 2020

Can you please share sample letter shared with Indian Consulate and IRCC?

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017
Can you please share sample letter shared with Indian Consulate and IRCC?
I don’t think I will be able to find it.. it was over 4 years ago. Just write a crisp letter mentioning that your name was erroneously captured as that and now you are requesting for an edit. This should be submitted along with passport renewal form.
similarly write a letter to IRCC

kvinod960

Dec 17, 2020
I became PR recently and I applied for PR for my wife as well. She got PPR request and submitted PPR. Today we got our PPR and COPR but on both visa and COPR family name is incorrectly typed.

Actual name : KOLAGANI
On visa: KOLANGANI.

I checked all my documents and after biometrics they updated wrong name in gc key. But the forms provided to us by VFS India have correct name. some where someone did mistake. So What I need to do now. I already booked my tickets and dont know what to do

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I became PR recently and I applied for PR for my wife as well. She got PPR request and submitted PPR. Today we got our PPR and COPR but on both visa and COPR family name is incorrectly typed.

I checked all my documents and after biometrics they updated wrong name in gc key. But the forms provided to us by VFS India have correct name. some where someone did mistake. So What I need to do now. I already booked my tickets and dont know what to do
Follow this article, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html

Lc4life

Aug 9, 2021

Hello I recently had a similar experience. I DM'ed u

Lc4life

Aug 9, 2021
Hello Can you please give reply what you did in this case.
You are correct that amending copr needs to be done after landing. I think possibly you might have an issue with boarding aircraft.

Option 1:
Try boarding aircraft. You might or might not be able to board, which is at the discretion of airline agents.

Option 2:
Go from India -> USA, then cross land border from USA to Canada.
I recommend land border because:
CBSA has to let a PR in regardless, if the PR shows up at the border. However, there will be additional verification of status, and they will sort it out eventually, do not worry.

The only issue for you is that you need to somehow show up at the border.

In my case, I am already inland when I received my copr, so I just filed the amendment process with urgent request. (I asked my employer to write a letter for me) They were able to process it in 3 weeks.

I also dm'ed you with my whatsapp, you can also connect if you have further question.

kvinod960

Dec 17, 2020
we dont have us visa. so landing to us wont possible. May be we need to try to looking a job so that I can send amendent of document with urgent processing