Hello Symq,I received my PR card and the time of applying for other services is when I realized that full name is in given name. I have got the name rectified in the passport but for Name Change in Ontario, the Service Ontario site puts the condition "Have lived in Ontario for past 12 months". Any ideas on how to go about this since it has not been anywhere close to 12 months since landing?
That is correct. The process is simple but time consuming.
Question : This happened due to your issue on your passport originally which you have rectified ?
- Correct your Indian Passport - which you have already done. But this is not enough to update the Canadian documents
- Wait for 12 months in Ontario and then Apply for Legal Name Change Certificate (By mail / Service Ontario). There is no option other than waiting for entire 1 year before application. We recently completed the same for my spouse and recieved a certificate.
- Use this certificate to update you DL and OHIP @ Service Ontario (15 minute job when you visit them)
- Use this certificate to update you SIIN information @ Service Canada (15 minute job when you visit them)
- Fill out a PR Card Renewal form and mail it to the Nova Scotia address : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/how-to-apply.html
- You will receive the new PR card with updated name in the mail.
- if you need additional help - reach out to me via email firstname.lastname@example.org and I can help you further if required.