+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by keypad, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Sorry, I couldn't understand which part of the form you are talking about. You need to fill this form to start your legal name change process in BC.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/forms/vital-statistics/vsa529.pdf

and you should be living in BC for at least one year.
    No need for any newspaper advertisements if you are just splitting your name.
    I started my passport process after getting the new PR card and attached a copy of the same with the application. A few people applied before getting their PR card, though I am not sure what supporting documents they attached with their application.

2. Thank you for your reply.I just came to know that the duration of being staying in bc before applying for name change has reduced to 3 months.And after filling the form ,do we directly go to vital Statistics office?I had a talk with 2 customer service representatives and they confused me,after filling the form and getting the fingerprints,should i visit vital Statistics Vancouver directly or there was written on website service bc representatives can witness your signature,do we need to go to service bc too?or it is done at vital Statistics too?I got pretty confused regarding these.Would be highly grateful if you could help me clear on this?

3. Yes, you are right. They have changed the one-year requirement to only 3 months.
    After getting fingerprint verification, you can either go to service BC location and get your documents attested and submit the application there.
    Or you can get the attestation done with any Notary Public and mail your application to Vital Statistics.
    No need to go to the Vital Stats office, they don't collect the applications there.
    Everything is mentioned in the application form.

4. Hello snitin,

I am in the process of completing the name change process for my wife. her Indian passport is now updated with splitted name XX - YY as required . And we are filling out the Legal name change for Ontario.

1. Was there any police verification / background check needed to be done ?
    2. Did you have to go to the office of the commisioner of oaths for signing that form ?
    3. What documents were required to submit at the Service ontario ?
    4. In your post, i read you mailed the documents.
    So did you send a certified copy ?

Thanks,
    Nitash

5. Hey Keypad,

I see your comment on the Step 3 for sending a copy of the certificate to HIBC

I am working on the same name change process from Ontario. HIBC is the equivalent of OHIP
    Do i need to send something to them, or it gets all updated together in Service ontario ?

Any information will help.

Thanks in advance.

6. Hello nitash.agrawal,

I can't comment on this. This may or may not be the requirement for OHIP. I have got experience with the HIBC only.

Regards