+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

Veejaysingh

Star Member
May 19, 2020
Hey Guys, Put me out of this Misery. So heres the Scenario.
I got my passport renewed in 2021 and split my name while my pr application was in process. updated the details to IRCC via Web form and they confirmed that they have received the details. But Copr was sent to me with old passport details and name. My pr card says Name- ''XXX YYY'' in a single line. I am not sure if its the right format. Cause as i have split my name in the new passport which is given name XXX and surname YYY.

Now i am planning to travel different countries next yr for three months, Do you think this is going to create a problem when i re-enter to Canada while immigration. Cause my only problem is the format my name is written on the Pr card. I mean its the same person,Do you think I should get my name format rectified on my pr card. or is it the right format or how it should be.My only worry is if i can re- enter canada with the current pr card.

In case i have to get my name change on pr card, do you think i need to get 'legal name change certificate' from ontario which is mentioned in the thread.if so, what are the documents required. i am aware i need to fill an application , apart from that i am not sure what else is needed.

Help me out here folks i would really appreciate all your efforts as you guys have been through similar situation.

Mucha Gracias

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hey Guys, Put me out of this Misery. So heres the Scenario.
I got my passport renewed in 2021 and split my name while my pr application was in process. updated the details to IRCC via Web form and they confirmed that they have received the details. But Copr was sent to me with old passport details and name. My pr card says Name- ''XXX YYY'' in a single line. I am not sure if its the right format. Cause as i have split my name in the new passport which is given name XXX and surname YYY.

Now i am planning to travel different countries next yr for three months, Do you think this is going to create a problem when i re-enter to Canada while immigration. Cause my only problem is the format my name is written on the Pr card. I mean its the same person,Do you think I should get my name format rectified on my pr card. or is it the right format or how it should be.My only worry is if i can re- enter canada with the current pr card.

In case i have to get my name change on pr card, do you think i need to get 'legal name change certificate' from ontario which is mentioned in the thread.if so, what are the documents required. i am aware i need to fill an application , apart from that i am not sure what else is needed.

Help me out here folks i would really appreciate all your efforts as you guys have been through similar situation.

Mucha Gracias
I think you don’t need any legal name change. All you need is to ask IRCC to correct your name on COPR and PR card. It looks like a mistake on their part. They will correct it.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hello All,

I have an Indian Passport and wanna change my Name and Address on it. To do this, I need to make an "Affidavit" and advertise my name change in 2 newspapers (One in Toronto and One in India).

My question is:
1. Where can I make an Affidavit in Toronto?
2. What newspaper would be best for the name change Ad in Toronto ?

Thank you in advance!
You do not need an affidavit in Toronto. The easiest way to change name (not split) while being in Canada is to:
1> change name official in through Ontario change of name service, and wait for the certificate to come.
2> use this certificate to update name on Ontario drivers licence and health card.
3> publish an ad in Toronto Star, and another ad in an English newspaper in India. Get physical copies of both.
4> apply for Indian passport renewal using the documents obtained in steps above.
5> apply for a new PR card once you get the updated Indian passport.

The process would take 8-10 months to complete end to end.

shunjaruff

May 7, 2018
Hey All, please help.
Is there anyone here who has traveled to canada who had blank last name on passport? How did you book the ticket/how your name was printed on the ticket? Did airport security guy/airlines staff/immigration gave any trouble?
My passport-
First name: Xxxx Yyyy
Last name: blank

Veejaysingh

Star Member
May 19, 2020
You do not need an affidavit in Toronto. The easiest way to change name (not split) while being in Canada is to:
1> change name official in through Ontario change of name service, and wait for the certificate to come.
2> use this certificate to update name on Ontario drivers licence and health card.
3> publish an ad in Toronto Star, and another ad in an English newspaper in India. Get physical copies of both.
4> apply for Indian passport renewal using the documents obtained in steps above.
5> apply for a new PR card once you get the updated Indian passport.

The process would take 8-10 months to complete end to end.
Hey man, what form did you use when you renewed your pr card and documents required. could you send me the link. there's many forms with different IMM kinda confusing. thanks

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hey All, please help.
Is there anyone here who has traveled to canada who had blank last name on passport? How did you book the ticket/how your name was printed on the ticket? Did airport security guy/airlines staff/immigration gave any trouble?
My passport-
First name: Xxxx Yyyy
Last name: blank
You can put LNU (Last Name Unknown/Unavailable) for airline ticket. This is how I used to travel with a first-name-only passport.

Reactions: shunjaruff

Kkrr123

Oct 13, 2020
You need to apply for renewal of PR card. Other declaration/letter that you would attach would support the renewal. DO NOT TICK ON LEGAL NAME CHANGE.

Ensure to attach copies of old passport and new passport. With a highlighter mark the place where new passport has old passport no.
Hi , did you apply for renewal by paper application or online application? If it’s online application how to apply ?
I am waiting for passport from BLS with spilt name change .
Thank you

Kkrr123

Oct 13, 2020
Yup I was thinking the same of sending without checking that box. Thank you once again!
I'll explain the situation well in the cover letter/ declaration.
Can you please update your status ? We’re you able to update pr card ? I am in same boat and waiting for passport form BLS .
Can you please share your email id in case if I have any doubts . I need to do this soon. Because my new born son documents should not mess up due to my spilt name issue .
Thanks in advance

bhvuan

Star Member
Oct 15, 2017
So as per some, we can split the name without it being a 'legal name change'? I wish I did that while I had my PR.

I recently got canadian citizenship, now wondering what's the easiest way to split name. Can it be done through a simple letter? If yes, to whom?

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
So as per some, we can split the name without it being a 'legal name change'? I wish I did that while I had my PR.

I recently got canadian citizenship, now wondering what's the easiest way to split name. Can it be done through a simple letter? If yes, to whom?
No you can’t do it without the legal name change process. Unless the process has changed recently that I am not aware of.

manu.yoganand

Star Member
Dec 28, 2017

I don't believe there is any other option other than legal name change after getting your citizenship.. name correction was an option based on Indian pp..