+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

sudu89in

Jun 25, 2019
Hello,

I am in the same boat where I have applied to BLS to split my single name as given name and surname on my passport. In order for the PR card to reflect this correction, is name change certificate mandatory from Service Ontario? I read some people saying that IRCC returned their application asking for a legal name change certificate even if it was just a name split. However, after reading manu.yoganand's case, it felt like an explanation letter with both the old and new passport copy is enough for IRCC to issue a new PR card with split names. Is my understanding correct?

Would this explanation work in your opinion?

"Due to an error, the name on my Indian passport was split from xxx yyy under the given name to xxx under given name and yyy under surname. I would like the PR card to reflect this correction. Attached copies of the both th passports for your consideration.

Please not that this request is not to legally change my name on the PR card but just to split the name as per the passport."

I will highlight the name split and the new passport with the old passport number in it and attach both the passport copies in the supporting document section. Hopefully this will be enough.

I appreciate your time and request your feedback on the above.

Thank you.

vijay108

Jul 31, 2020
I had exactly similar case. First I have split the name in Indian passport. After that applied for PR Card renewal with both passports and LOE. Still waiting for my updated PR card.
I will keep you updated if my PR card has split names on it or same as old one.

riubacker

Jan 10, 2023
Hey Guys, just wanted to let you know that I got my PR card, with the name split without any legal name change certificate or Letter of explanation. I just got my passport name split and applied for renewal of a PR card online. When asked 'Name you want to appear on your PR card.' I specified the split name exactly how it appeared on the new passport. No additional documents were asked. Good luck everyone :)

sudu89in

Jun 25, 2019
Hello, when you applied for PR Card renewal for name split is it required to have met the minimum 730 days requirement? I still have sometime before I complete the 730 days completion but my purpose of renewal is just to split the names as there is no separate option for name correction in the PR card. Any supporting documents to provide for this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, when you applied for PR Card renewal for name split is it required to have met the minimum 730 days requirement? I still have sometime before I complete the 730 days completion but my purpose of renewal is just to split the names as there is no separate option for name correction in the PR card. Any supporting documents to provide for this?
If it's a change of name replacement, no.

You'd have to check what docs they ask for change of name replacement.

khushsangha

Sep 14, 2023
I'm in same boat as you guys but my question is can I still travel to india with my pr card and come back and than do all that process?

truthbetold

Sep 25, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I am also facing the same issue with splitting the name on my passport. I live in Quebec. Should I get the name split on my passport done and apply for a renewal of PR with IRCC? Would they accept the application if I just change the passport and provincial ID's? Or is it better to get a court order with a lawyer?
I am in Quebec as well and want to apply for split name for PR card, I already got name split in my passport. What is the next step? Were you able to get it done?

Thanks