+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Split in Passport, COPR and PR Card

bhvuan

Star Member
Oct 15, 2017
Ah ok, thanks for the quick responses. I'll leave that as is for now, get my new passport, OCI etc. for now. I'll get to name change later when I have documents to travel with me while waiting.

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
Update
I got an email from IRCC a month back stating my name had to be split as per my passport (I'd got my name split in Indian passport first)
It also said they are refunding the $50 fees of the PR card renewal form.
I have not got any new PR card till date and a reply to a webform sent to IRCC just said refer to email sent to you before. The name appears to have been split in their records but if I don't get an updated PR card then I'm not sure how to go about getting it split in Ontario DL/ Health card or SIN records.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Update
I got an email from IRCC a month back stating my name had to be split as per my passport (I'd got my name split in Indian passport first)
I have not got any new PR card till date and a reply to a webform sent to IRCC just said refer to email sent to you before. The name appears to have been split in their records but if I don't get an updated PR card then I'm not sure how to go about getting it split in Ontario DL/ Health card or SIN records.
You'll just have to wait for the PR card, nothign with cards seems to take less than a month, more often several.

Reactions: speedthestar

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Update
I didn't understand, did they process your application successfully or they have returned it and refunded the application fee? what does your online application tracker say?

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
You'll just have to wait for the PR card, nothign with cards seems to take less than a month, more often several.
Thank you!
I understand timelines are crazy, just wasn't sure since the webform reply did not mention anything about the PR card status, since I specifically asked.
Guess I'll have to wait a few months to know for sure.

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
I didn't understand, did they process your application successfully or they have returned it and refunded the application fee? what does your online application tracker say?
Unable to link the application online, tried all variables.
The email said my name would be split and they still refunded the $50, hence my doubt whether they'll be issuing a new PR card.
Also the email header says "Last name First Name" so I know its updated electronically.

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
The email said my name would be split and they still refunded the $50, hence my doubt whether they'll be issuing a new PR card.
Also the email header says "Last name First Name" so I know its updated electronically.
Don't want to discourage you, but looks like they have just returned your application and refunded the fee. The email header last name, first name format comes from, how you chose to fill up the application, not that they have processed it that way. I may be wrong, I suggest calling them to clarify.

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
Don't want to discourage you, but looks like they have just returned your application and refunded the fee. The email header last name, first name format comes from, how you chose to fill up the application, not that they have processed it that way. I may be wrong, I suggest calling them to clarify.
Could be a possibility. The email says that card has name split. But my PR card has first name in bold followed by last name in normal font in the next line.
Now Im thinking whether they just flipped the name in the incorrect order
Calls aren't connecting its always busy, will keep trying, thanks for your input!

riubacker

Jan 10, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I am also facing the same issue with splitting the name on my passport. I live in Quebec. Should I get the name split on my passport done and apply for a renewal of PR with IRCC? Would they accept the application if I just change the passport and provincial ID's? Or is it better to get a court order with a lawyer?

kanwar144

Star Member
Mar 16, 2015
Hello , I would be starting my journey for splitting my name , just wanted to ask have u got your PR card.

speedthestar

Dec 19, 2019
Hello , I would be starting my journey for splitting my name , just wanted to ask have u got your PR card.
I have not got my PR card, they rejected my application. It seems they did not understand what I was asking them to do and they had my name inverted from the start, so now I have 3 different names in my documents lol. I complete one year in Ontario soon, I might just go for the legal name change in the province and get everything sorted that way.

Reactions: kanwar144

tiksh

Dec 8, 2015
Hi All
I got my PR card recently with correct name format. I was in same scenario where my full name was written as my last name and just a dot(.) For first name because of old Indian passport.
-First I renew my Indian passport with splitting my name properly.
- then renew my PR card online with request of splitting my name according to my Indian passport.I also sent birth certificate of my Canadian born son as supporting dacument to show correct format of my name ( I don't think they need any supporting dacument for this request)
- then I changed my name in driving license, vehicle registration and health card.
- now I am applying citizenship

Good luck Everyone

Reactions: kanwar144

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hi Everyone,

I am also facing the same issue with splitting the name on my passport. I live in Quebec. Should I get the name split on my passport done and apply for a renewal of PR with IRCC? Would they accept the application if I just change the passport and provincial ID's? Or is it better to get a court order with a lawyer?
IRCC will always issue PR cards with name exactly how it shows on your passport. They don't care if your name is split, or not split, or whatever. Your firstname/given name from your passport goes to the firstname on PR card, and last name/surname from the passport goes to lastname on the PR card.

If your passport is already updated with correct name, then you do not need a court order. To be on the safer side, just get a name change certificate from the province of your residence.

Reactions: riubacker

jestinjs

Nov 22, 2017
Update: JULY 2023

Similar situation where my old passport had full name together and hence all documents in Canada had my first name field blank and full name in surname field.

After going through all previous posts, I first had my name split in new passport. Applied for PR renewal with letter of explanation and additional notarized self affidavit (one and same name) requesting them to issue new PR card with correct split as per new passport. Did not go with Legal Name change process as it was just name split and no other correction.

However my new PR card was again issued exactly as old one. Full name in surname and they didn't consider my request to split the name (even though my current/new passport had name split). No additional documents or anything else was asked. Back to square one.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190