+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change when landing

Ahzdeen

Nov 14, 2019
Out of curiosity, my wife (PR applicant) didn't change her last name here in the US because we got married in Canada and they don't recognize name changes with just a marriage certificate here. We sent our spousal application (Outland, if that matters) with her maiden name because all her ID and everything is in that name. Does anyone know if it is possible to change her last name when we land so she can have that name on her PR card? Or do we have to get the PR card with her name as applied and change it later?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Out of curiosity, my wife (PR applicant) didn't change her last name here in the US because we got married in Canada and they don't recognize name changes with just a marriage certificate here. We sent our spousal application (Outland, if that matters) with her maiden name because all her ID and everything is in that name. Does anyone know if it is possible to change her last name when we land so she can have that name on her PR card? Or do we have to get the PR card with her name as applied and change it later?
Her PR card will be the name on her passport.

GodSend

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
I would land a take care of that at some later date. With all the things you need to worry about for the first few months after landing, why add another thing to the mix.