+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My work experience not continuous for 1 year ?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RH1983. Have a look at your total hours that you worked for each job as you may be over the minimum of 1560 hours for it to be classed as one year of full time work experience.

As you did 11 months in your first role and most people work 40h per week that would be about 1900h in total.

I just got my COPR with an equivalent of 4 years of work experience from lots of different jobs some full time some not. None of which lasted more than 10months. (They were all under the same FSW NOC code). But i did have a run of more than 1y in one type of job. I also had 2.5yrs in the middle where i was back at uni and then had a different career completly.

I got complete reference letters showing all the requirements for 2.5yrs of work experience. Then for the other jobs i used old contracts, job descriptions, payslips and governement tax letters to prove that they were real.

They look at work experience over the last 10 years so i reckon if youve got more than 1560h in one role then you should be good to go.
The bolded statement is incorrect and will only confuse others.

An applicant cannot count more than 30 hours per week of work. Also, in order to claim a year of work experience the applicant must work for a period of one year (assuming full-time). One cannot count 11 months as a year of work experience, it doesn't matter if the person worked 40, 50 or 60 hours per week.

For those who think "hey, I work 60 hours a week, I will have a year of work experience in 6 months!" are simply mistaken.

Reactions: drunkun

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey here are my exact dates of Hours and Months I worked

Job A - Company A - Sept 2007 - Feb 2008 - 40 hrs/week
Job B - Company B - May 2008 - Aug 2008 - 40 hrs/week
Job C - Company C - Oct 2008 - Aug 2009 - 40 hrs/week

can this be considered continuous ?
Not continuous.

Redrock

Sep 1, 2017
For those who think "hey, I work 60 hours a week, I will have a year of work experience in 6 months!" are simply mistaken.
Hey, i totaly agree with this part. That would be ballsey but wrong if someone tried that.

Cic also says
  • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
So if the op has worked for 21months out of 24 surely she has overcome the min working hours.

And again i totally understand thier experience does not tick the box of continuous. Im just hopeing tht the case officier who asses a profile would have some discretion and see that they are experienced.

Sorry rh1983 to keep your head spinning. It may be worth jist calling CIC to speak to an advisor. +1 (613) 944-4000 from outside canada i think.

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
I have 2 masters in engineering and i applied and got my copr under the NOC as a cook. From my experience the two (degree and trade) are unrelated and just seem to tick boxes to get you points.

The rest of your post i have no idea about soz.
Thank you so much for answering my question, Redrock! When did you get your PR in Canada? What was your points for ITA? Do you mind to share about your background in work experiences when you are applying under NOC as a cook? Thank you!

Last edited:

Rh1983

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Hi! Can you answer this for me - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/experience-letter-question.517185/
Hey, i totaly agree with this part. That would be ballsey but wrong if someone tried that.

Cic also says
  • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
So if the op has worked for 21months out of 24 surely she has overcome the min working hours.

And again i totally understand thier experience does not tick the box of continuous. Im just hopeing tht the case officier who asses a profile would have some discretion and see that they are experienced.

Sorry rh1983 to keep your head spinning. It may be worth jist calling CIC to speak to an advisor. +1 (613) 944-4000 from outside canada i think.

Akm.bappi

Jan 20, 2018
Dear seniors, need advice
In last five year I have 3 and 1/2 year of work experience across 2 Noc.
In company A- supply chain officer(2 years)
In company B - senior executive officer ( 1.5 years and counting in a Bank)
So I have total 3.5 years of work experience.will it be sufficient for full point on work e

anandekraj

Jun 6, 2018
Hi
I need advise, can I get reference letter from my senior or colleague on white paper and signed by them and do I need to notarize by lawyer or self attested by them is good enough.

ECA is compulsory to have or not necessary.

How can I get PNP from India is there any way

ayaleeLA

Feb 21, 2019
Hi Guys,
I'm really confused about my case here. I'm applying for FSW. Can anyone help?

My work experiences are as follow:

Part time :2015/9 to 2016/5 (20 hrs/ week), Employer A
Full time: 2016/4 to 2016/12 (50 hrs/week), Employer B

There is no gap in between. These two jobs are under the same NOC, but these are two different employers. Is this considered as ONE YEAR CONTINUOUS work experience?

Thanks in advance!!
In my case, there were no gap in between the companies.
In my case, there were no gap in between the companies.

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
Hi Guys,
I'm really confused about my case here. I'm applying for FSW. Can anyone help?

My work experiences are as follow:

Part time :2015/9 to 2016/5 (20 hrs/ week), Employer A
Full time: 2016/4 to 2016/12 (50 hrs/week), Employer B

There is no gap in between. These two jobs are under the same NOC, but these are two different employers. Is this considered as ONE YEAR CONTINUOUS work experience?

Thanks in advance!!
A full time employment should be at least 30 hours/week for 12 months(1,560 hours).

Since you have 9 months worth of part time, assuming you started at the start of 2015/9, 20hrs/week (20hrs x 4 weeks x 9 months = 720 hours)

So your full time experience is minimum 30hrs x 4 weeks x 9 months =1080 hours

*Note: It does not matter that you have 50hrs/week for full time, the minimum is 30hrs. E.g if you worked 11 months at 50hrs/week which is more than the minimum required, you are still considered as 11 months, and not 1 year.

Total is 720hrs + 1080hrs = 1800 hrs

So I would say yeah you got the one year continuous work experience.

Last edited:

ayaleeLA

Feb 21, 2019
A full time employment should be at least 30 hours/week for 12 months(1,560 hours).

Since you have 9 months worth of part time, assuming you started at the start of 2015/9, 20hrs/week (20hrs x 4 weeks x 9 months = 720 hours)

So your full time experience is minimum 30hrs x 4 weeks x 9 months =1080 hours

*Note: It does not matter that you have 50hrs/week for full time, the minimum is 30hrs. E.g if you worked 11 months at 50hrs/week which is more than the minimum required, you are still considered as 11 months, and not 1 year.

Total is 720hrs + 1080hrs = 1800 hrs

So I would say yeah you got the one year continuous work experience.
Thanks very much, TLOU. I really appreciate your help. I just wanna make sure that I can actually combine my part-time and full-time work experiences together to have one year continuous work experience.

Jun 6, 2019
You should be able to, depending on what you did in between those jobs. For example, if you changed job after your first 11 months, and then started job 2 right away, you are good to go.
Hi
I worked in usa for a month and then came back started working in India (different noc)can I count that towards my experience? Thanks in advance

TLOU

Dec 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2017
Hi
I worked in usa for a month and then came back started working in India (different noc)can I count that towards my experience? Thanks in advance
One of your experience should be related to your NOC. Sounds like your work experience in USA is from a different NOC. 1 month is not enough for the visa application.