+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife just arrived in canada and is giving birth in a few weeks

Justin Suarez

Star Member
Aug 27, 2018
will our baby get msp right away? Will our baby's hospital expenses get covered or not?

Mother doesnt have active msp.
I, the father, am a canadian citizen with active msp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
will our baby get msp right away? Will our baby's hospital expenses get covered or not?

The baby will be covered. Your wife won't. You will have to pay for the birth.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Is there a rule about reimbursement for my wife's hospital expenses? My wife is due February 2 and her msp will be active on March 1.
Which province do you live in (not sure what MSP means)? Some cover new immigrant immediately, but others have a 3 month wait (e.g. Ontario). If you are in a province with a 3 month wait, then ANY medical costs incurred in the 3 months will NOT be covered (i.e. you will have to pay for them yourself unless you already have private medical expenses cover).

cnvz

Oct 14, 2018

Medical expenses aren't covered. You aren't covered for the rest of the month your wife returned to Canada plus 2 months if you're a citizen. Is she a citizen? As far as I know, you aren't able to get any medical fees reimbursed. To be sure about all this, I suggest you call the MSP hotline and speak with a representative. Good luck & congrats on your soon to be born baby.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is there a rule about reimbursement for my wife's hospital expenses? My wife is due February 2 and her msp will be active on March 1.
No. She can't be reimbursed for expenses that will occur when she does not qualify for coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If her MSP is only active March 1st and there is a 2+ month wait to get coverage why would she get reimbursed retroactively? There is a waiting period for coverage in the most popular provinces for immigration to prevent new Canadians and Canadians living abroad for returning just to seek medical care. Would contact your local hospital because most require payment in advance of at least some form of deposit if you are planning to give birth without coverage.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
Just a side note, in some provinces midwives are available for people that have no coverage. It would be worth it to call a midwife service where you live to help with costs.

funboy101

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
If your wife has visitor status she most likely will not be covered as long as she has that status, at least until she gets AOR or AIP, depending who you ask (in addition to the 3 month residency rule). I don't know about other provinces but one of the only ways visitors can get coverage in Ontario is when they are deemed eligible to apply for PR - which is AOR or AIP (opinions seem to differ on which it is). Regardless, a visitor here for 6 months still wouldn't be eligible without reaching this determination point after PR app is submitted.

Last edited:

Addus

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga - Inland
App. Filed.......
27-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
Med's Request
24-09-2018
Med's Done....
25-09-2018
LANDED..........
11-04-2019
BC is especially strict. I was on implied status for 2 days between work permits and lost my MSP coverage and I had to start the 3 months countdown for coverage again.
Luckily my employer offers a “welcome” private coverage for new overseas hires which they pay for and they were nice enough to put me on that even though I wasn’t new.
I’d say you have 0 chance of getting anything out of MSP for your wife.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your wife has visitor status she most likely will not be covered as long as she has that status, at least until she gets AOR or AIP, depending who you ask (in addition to the 3 month residency rule). I don't know about other provinces but one of the only ways visitors can get coverage in Ontario is when they are deemed eligible to apply for PR - which is AOR or AIP (opinions seem to differ on which it is). Regardless, a visitor here for 6 months still wouldn't be eligible without reaching this determination point after PR app is submitted.
It's AIP+ 3 months but you often have to fight a bit so actually could be a bit longer. Usually saves you a month or two.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's AIP+ 3 months but you often have to fight a bit so actually could be a bit longer. Usually saves you a month or two.
Different for BC. No AOR or AIP.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/health-drug-coverage/medical-services-plan/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Gotcha. They are usually considerably cheaper, so worth looking into.
Possibly. However what happens if it's not a straightforward birth and the mother needs a C-section or advanced medical care?