+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my naija people??? how far

fathertee

Star Member
May 25, 2006
Hi omerese, when did your wife apply for immigration?, cos this will help a lot to we nija folks as to how long it takes for a visa to issued.

Regards

Jul 31, 2007
yemkik said:
David Cohen is a good one

Hi Yemkik,

I just started this canadian Immigration stuff by filling the assessment form with David Cohen but please help to answer the following questions...
1. David cohen seems reliable but how reliable is he?
2. Are you in Canada and was he the one you used for the processing, if you are?
3.With Cohen, how long will the processing take? And lastly, how much does he charge or how do i get to know this?

Thanks

yemkik

Star Member
Sep 6, 2004
Hi cyriacusuno@yahoo.com,

Answers to your questions one by one:
1. David Cohen is one of the reliable immigration lawyers I can recommend to anyone. I was introduced to firm through two of my friends who are already in Canada and what I love about the firm is the professional way they handle your case. If someone handling your case goes on vacation another one takes over and you are notified immediately about this and asked to update your records, they are also polite which is a good attribute as some of them could be rude or impolite .

2. No, I am not yet in Canada, I started this process in 2004 and if the current timeline is correct I guess I still have like 2 or 3 more years to go (2009 or at most 2010 maybe)

3. I am afraid lawyers don't influence the processing times which is often due to many applications received from the Accra embassy of the Canadian High Commission. What a lawyer can do for you is to make sure that your application is handled in a very professional manner so that there won't be any delays or discrepancies. The forms to fill are many and these guys have the experience in filling and submission of such forms added with all the 'jara' they add. At the end of the day if you are lucky the interview might be waived for you.

For all information on how much the firm charges and every other information you desire just visit the site:
http://www.canadavisa.com/
and then go to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp
to first of all take the self-assessment test to determine whether you are qualified for Canadian immigration or not.

All the best my brother and pls keep in touch through this great forum!

fathertee

Star Member
May 25, 2006
Hello Yemkik,

I think you are right about David Cohen, the Law firm handles cases like professionals.

Anyway, i applied in 2004 too (Still praying and hoping that one day it will come to pass) I just want to ask you if you have considered taking the IELTS test, co's I am confused. Some say it is necessary, others say so long as you come from a country with English as it's first language, then you don't need to take the test. Please what do you think?

I wish all the Nija guys success in their application.

TorchLite

Aug 13, 2007
Hi guys,

My naija people, i hail o! Hope everybody dey kampe? I'm so glad to have discovered this forum. I mean this forum has open my eyes. I applied in July 2005 and I was thinking by this year or latest next year everything should be through. Infact I have started looking forward to their invitation for interview.

So some of you guys applied since 2001? Old boy, what a long wait! Please somebody should welcome me to this waiting game.

Anyway sha, man go smile one day.

Cheers!

TorchLite.

mile2

Jul 13, 2005
Torchlight u are welcome o!

Just be patient as a vulture.Na turn by turn.
On a more serious note i advise new intending immigrants to apply using the PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAMME cos it appears faster than this Federal way.

Anyway all the best

soj

Feb 23, 2007
hi fathertee,
How are u?hp u are fine.i apllied sometime in 2000 and the processing of my apllication started on july 13,2001.i have gone for interview x done medicals but i didnt sit for IELTS exam.Though i was asked during my interview,i said no and he didnt say anything abt it.i took my GRE result for the interview and he just looked at it but didnt say anything.If u can make the needed point without the english test,i think u are ok.otherwise do it to shoot up your point.soj

fathertee

Star Member
May 25, 2006
Hello my niaja folks, I hope all of una dey kampe? Thanks for your advise soj, i really appreciate it. I think i will go for the test, after all its not a big deal, "no be English way we don dey speak since we dey small".

I wish you all the best in the process. Take care.

yemkik

Star Member
Sep 6, 2004
Hi Fathertee,

I am sorry my response is coming rather late. SOJ has already said it all you can just take the IELTS to 'jerk' up your points, no harm in that.
I did the IELTS just in case anything happens in the future, you never can say the rules change everyday the worst that could happen to you is for the process to reach your turn and you'd be asked to go for the interview and then you would wish you had done it earlier on. It is better to do it now and forget about it. I will advise you do it once and for all and 'close eye'

TorchLite

Aug 13, 2007
Hi yemkik,

I benefitted from your response to fathertee regarding IELTS. I'm yet to take the test myself because I was of the opinion it was't mandatory. Just like you said, it is better to do it now. But the British Council is complicating things. They seem to be overwhelmed with the number of people applying for this test. As at now, they don't accept people and no date is given to check back.

Please, is there any way round this british council people? I welcomed any suggestion from my naija people.

Regards,

TorchLite.

yemkik

Star Member
Sep 6, 2004
Hi TorchLite,

That's news to me because everything was straightforward when I did mine last year.
How are they complicating things? I would really like to know.........

Click on the URL below maybe you will find something useful about taking IELTS in Nigeria and don't forget you should go for the General modules NOT academic modules!

http://www.britishcouncil.org/nigeria-learning-exams-in-nigeria-ielts.htm

maryu

Aug 30, 2007
me i wan know if its safe to give 1600 us dollars non refundable to person make e process something for u wei u nor sure say u go get am?

Goodman

Aug 30, 2007
maryu,

I no sure say u don ready to do anything........life itself na risk, everything in this world na risk. Go through all the articles in this thread then make up your mind. Lawyer or no lawyer If ur papers correct you go get am no fear!

Trust

Oct 31, 2005
Nigeria
Torchlight: Welcome.

Mary U: Cohen is good. First take the eligibility test. Be very truthful about your qualifications. If Cohen says you are OK, believe it, you are. Then you can safely trust your hard earned 1600 to them. Go to sleep (with one eye open in prayers O) you will be ok.

Not to emphasize too much: if u use Cohen or other good lawyers, it means they will thoroughly check your papers, give advice before passing them to Accra.

All us naija peoples - E go betta one day!