Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2016
immig_IT_guy said:
Yes, we had a valid US visa.
I'm not sure about your next question
Hi Bikbis,

I got my my passport stamped last year and am planning to complete my landing this month and have few questions:

X I am currently on H-1B. Will it be ok to enter Canada in the morning and leave in the afternoon by road? I have read somewhere online that the Canadian immigration won't let you apply for the PR card if you tell them that you are not permanently moving in as of yet.

X Besides my passport and CPOR do I need anything else.

X I do not have an H-1B stamping on my passport since I never traveled outside of USA since I changed to H1 from F1. Can I use Automatic Revalidation to enter back in USA? My H1 797 expires in September 2016.

Please share your experience regarding the above items.

Thanks.

jamy

May 25, 2010
Kuwait
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-4-2010
Doc's Request.
july 6-2010
Nomination.....
22-10-2010
AOR Received.
15-2-2011
IELTS Request
sent with documents
File Transfer...
received 6-12 month letter on 23-3-2012
Med's Request
waiting
jamy said:
Experts pls advise . I have a valid PR and will shift permanent in June.
my bank account is there and I am sending my savings in that account(Scotia bank)
do I need to pay any tax for the money I saved while staying outside Canada as I never worked in Canada ?
also I would like to know if I want to buy house after shifting and bring money from my native country will it be tax free ?
e.g I sell my plot and transfer money to Canada to buy house ?

what is advisable in this scenario to take money before I move permanent or to transfer money later on ?
Anybody can answer my queries pls ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
jamy said:
Experts pls advise . I have a valid PR and will shift permanent in June.
my bank account is there and I am sending my savings in that account(Scotia bank)
do I need to pay any tax for the money I saved while staying outside Canada as I never worked in Canada ?
also I would like to know if I want to buy house after shifting and bring money from my native country will it be tax free ?
e.g I sell my plot and transfer money to Canada to buy house ?

what is advisable in this scenario to take money before I move permanent or to transfer money later on ?
1) I assume you have opened a Canadian Bank account from your home country (through the StartRight Program). In that case, no, I don't think you need to pay taxes, IMO. I could be wrong about this, take a second opinion.

2) When you are landing for the first time to activate PR, you can bring how much ever funds you want - tax free (Though you must declare if you are carrying more than CAD 10,000). You can use this money to buy a house there.

Hope I answered your question.

eefromusa

Aug 21, 2015
This forum has been so helpful so I thought to share my experience: Did successful PR landing in Canada and came back to USA on AVR last weekend.
A little background: I applied through FSW last yr.
POE issue: Initially I was confused about POE as my destination in COPR was Toronto but I decided to do landing at Peace Arch/ Douglas border in Washington State.
Although all the forums mentioned that you can land anywhere under FSW, I emailed CIC about the same. I asked CIC if I need any permission to land at any other border or need to fill any form. Even after 40 business days I did not get a response so I did my landing at Peace Arch. I found a friend in B.C so I can use their address. Personally I dint like the idea of landing in west coast and giving an east coast address. Although it can be done as well.
End Result- Canadian VO did not ask me anything about different POE
Rental Car/ flight issue: I live in Nebraska so I flew to Portland, Oregon (my fiancé lives there) and booked an enterprise rental car. I was very confused that if I say I am permanently landing in Canada how will I explain the car rental. One way rental were very expensive so that was not an option. My 2 way car rental agreement said that I am returning the car in Portland, Oregon on <date>. If the VO checks the rental agreement, he may ask me about where I am returning car etc.
So I had both my stories ready
1) I am permanently landing & will return the car in Canada. If he ask more I will explain that enterprise will charge me $200 approximately to drop the car in Canada versus $1000 to rent a one way car.
2) I will return back to USA today & will give a 2 weeks’ notice at my job & will be back in Canada in 2-3 weeks
I decided depending on what they ask- I will choose my story on the fly.
Note- I told enterprise that I am taking the car to Canada & they made a note in their system but that note was not written on the agreement.
Proof of Funds- although everybody said bank statements are fine, I decided that I will take both cashier’s check and bank statements. BOA makes a cashier’s check in $10. First I made a mistake & got a check for $12000 .Later I realized that I will have to declare it to US border officer so I got another check of $9000.
Phone: Verizon had a $2 per day plan for Canada so I took that.
Documents:
• For AVR- I was carrying all my documents just like H1 stamping: Passport, i-94 white paper, all h1s, paystubs, EVL letter, vendor letter, all taxes, address proofs, work products- some emails, timesheets, lca, 129 copy, letters/contracts that I used for h1 extension, original degrees, work exp, org chart, company website printouts, flight ticket, hotel/food bill to show less than 30 days stay.
• For Canada- I had passport, copr, friend address printed on a page, bank statements last 4-5 months, BOA letter, investment account letters & statements, $9000 usd cashier’s check +$600 usd cash, goods accompanying- 2 copies & goods to follow- 2 copies
Now the Landing movie:
Reached Blaine restaurant called “Al Diner’ at lunch. Was continuously checking the border websites and there was a 30 min wait that time. Somehow reaching the diner, being so close to the border triggered a panic attack & I started getting worried.
Leaving my fiancé at the diner, I started driving to the Peace Arch border. By the time my turn came, I was so panicked that I was speaking in broken English. The officer was a young girl and I handed over my Passport & COPR to her. I don’t remember the exact questions but it went something like:
Are you landing today? Yes
How did u get PR? I applied through EE as a FSW
She asked where I live? I told her that I live in mid west & flew to Portland & drove here.
She asked is this your car? I said it’s a rental car & I will return it in Canada.
She asked u r moving here today- I said yes.
She asked if u have all ur stuff in the car? I said yes
She asked about goods to follow- I said I have a list.
I told her I am bringing 9100 cashier’s check & 600 cash

She gave me a yellow slip with her notes- 1* landing, 9100/600 cash, FINTRAC, goods to follow
I parked & went inside the building and stood in line. After 2-3 mins, an indian/candian officer called me and he was chatting with me
Where r u coming from? Where do u live in usa? What is your status in usa? What do u do? Asked me to check the COPR details and initial my name & sign.
He confirmed my COPR details. He joked- did u lie on ur application?
He filled some form with the cashier’s check details and I signed it. He did not check the bank accounts or investment funds, although I offered. He told me we will count the cash later. I counted & told him i have $600 so he said don’t worry & let’s focus on cashier’s check.
He told me to write Canadian address so I gave him the address printout.
I showed him the goods accompanying & he glanced & ignored it as I was only bringing clothes.
He told me to wait & he will do the paper work & then we will do goods to follow later on. After 5-10 mins wait he called me and told me I am PR now & gave flag & explained little.
Again he was chatting and he looked at my goods to follow and said we don’t need to do that. He asked if the clothes are old/worn. I said yes so he told me we don’t need to do that.
Again chatting he asked how are u planning to bring these things. I told him I don’t know yet. At point he said it’s safer to do goods to follow just in case. So he used my goods to follow form & gave me a copy after signing.
He attached the COPR in my passport & told me it’s good to drive between Canada & USA until ur PR card comes.
I drove to Whiterock & opened a bank account. Did not apply for SIN.
Now the AVR movie:
There is no line and the officer was young girl.
I handed over my passport+i-94 white paper +H1b.
She asked where is home? I told city state
She did not understand the city so I repeated & she caught on the state name.
She asked why did u go to Canada? I told her for my PR landing. Again she did not understand. I explained that I applied for Canadian PR & I went for landing.
She filled an orange slip & checked the COPR in my passport. She told me to get a new 1-94 from the next building.
In the building- I made a mistake and had a smile on my face when my turn came. The officer said you look happy to be here. I am still not sure if the officer was very smart & was trying to get info or was just chatting with me. He had this amused expression on his face so I was not sure what he meant.
He asked why do u have the paper 1-94? U r supposed to submit it? I had the blank face & dint know what he is asking. He said the date on 1-94 is from <date>, what have u been doing since then. I told him I was in <city> .
He asked what u do? I explained the job…He said it sounds complex..i told him its detailed oriented …like data mapping…he said he does not know what data mapping means.
We discussed the weather here vs india
He said how did u find this job from india?
I explained him how I travelled from Midwest to Portland and drove to border. I have friend there. I offered to show the flight ticket but he declined.
He asked my address & updated in his system. I offered address proof but he declined.
He did not ask for any document.
He gave me a new paper 1-94 and I paid $6 to the cashier.
Celebrate with lot of shopping & Seattle sightseeing.
Suggestion- I watched a few videos on youtube. It kind of took my fear away about border crossing.

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eefromusa said:
This forum has been so helpful so I thought to share my experience: Did successful PR landing in Canada and came back to USA on AVR last weekend. A little background: I applied through FSW last yr.
POE issue: Initially I was confused about POE as my destination in COPR was Toronto but I decided to do landing at Peace Arch/ Douglas border in Washington State. .............................................. Celebrate with lot of shopping & Seattle sightseeing.
Suggestion- I watched a few videos on youtube. It kind of took my fear away about border crossing.
Hello eefromusa,

Thank you for sharing your landing experience.

Best Regards,

hmisabpk

pratans14

Jan 26, 2016
Hi everybody,

I am a new member and this forum is very informative.

I am currently a resident of UAE from past 10 years and my husband is working in banking sector in corporate banking - SME.

Recently we have started with our immigration proccess and we are in the midst of creating a profile for the express entry pool.

I read some reviews where it said that getting a job is very very difficult for new immigrants and some people are planning to return back to their country. We are bit tensed in this regards.
Would like to know how is the job market there for BANKERS? My husband is of the opinion that we will only migrate upon a confirmed job offer. Is this possible??

please help ...

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
pratans14 said:
My husband is of the opinion that we will only migrate upon a confirmed job offer. Is this possible??

please help ...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless he has exceptional skills in his profession it is highly unlikely that he will get a job offer while abroad.

madhusanthosh

Star Member
Aug 14, 2015
Dear All,

I have a question. I am a PR now and doing my first landing on Mar 4th. My wife and kid are arriving a month later. I will get my PR card only after 3 months. In that case, can I fly back to India and bring my family after a month without PR card in my hand?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
madhusanthosh said:
Dear All,

I have a question. I am a PR now and doing my first landing on Mar 4th. My wife and kid are arriving a month later. I will get my PR card only after 3 months. In that case, can I fly back to India and bring my family after a month without PR card in my hand?
Yes. But while coming back, you will have to apply for a "Travel document" from the Canadian Embassy/Consulate in India. Here's the link -->
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

madhusanthosh

Star Member
Aug 14, 2015
rajkamalmohanram said:
Yes. But while coming back, you will have to apply for a "Travel document" from the Canadian Embassy/Consulate in India. Here's the link -->
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

Thank you Raj!!!

archanai44

Jan 13, 2016
Winnipeg details

I m from Mumbai, & have been nominated under MPNP prgram by Manitoba, I have already send my PR docs to CIC & awaiting reply. My queries are after I receive my visa, can I first visit alone since i m the main applicant & having 2 kids dependant as I m single mother, little afraid to land in an foreign country without a job, house as even my relative who had sponsored me doesnt talk or reply properly. can anybody share winnipeg details - archana

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
archanai44 said:
I m from Mumbai, & have been nominated under MPNP prgram by Manitoba, I have already send my PR docs to CIC & awaiting reply. My queries are after I receive my visa, can I first visit alone since i m the main applicant & having 2 kids dependant as I m single mother, little afraid to land in an foreign country without a job, house as even my relative who had sponsored me doesnt talk or reply properly. can anybody share winnipeg details - archana
Absolutely! You can land alone initially and then your kids can follow!

alinazakat

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
17-10-2014
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Skipped...
Passport Req..
Waiting...
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
Hi All
We plan to land in Canada by the end of March from Europe but it will be a temporary visit to fulfill the landing requirements. Can someone highlight the average PR Card processing time?. The official website says 105 days, is it really the case?. I have seen somewhere that we can request urgent processing, whats the possible timelines for urgent processing.

Would be glad to have the reply from senior members.

Regards
Ali

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......