Passport Req..
1st request: november 2011 // second request: 26th july 2013
VISA ISSUED...
first issue january 2012- SECOND ISSUE 22 AUGUST 2013
LANDED..........
13 October 2013
NN74 said:
All,

I had written down comments about Khalid Subhan as he was painting a picture that is not common here in Toronto!

For fkl, I am writing collectively without any offence to help understand what job market is here, how employers looked at you & when employer could kick you out.

There are three things important for new immigrants:

1. Out of Canada experience
2. Out of Canada education
3. Regulated Profession

Your out of Canada experience is not recognized at all by top-rated Canadian employers; esp your experience in India or Pakistan or Bangladesh or Middle East. So your first 6 or 12 months here are tough. Initially in finding a job & then adjusting with it. Be careful, when employer is giving you a job title like Senior lead or Senior Developer or Senior Manager when you don't have Canadian experience! There's something here!

Canadian job market esp for IT is fast-paced and short-lived. This means full time permanent jobs are limited and short-term jobs are plenty such as programmers, developers etc only for 3 months or 6 months with wage ranges between $55-75 per hour, 8 hrs/day & 40 hrs /week. So look at your employer, what he is paying you, why he has selected you (he is not your guardian to offer you a job while you are out of Canada, there's some profit for him to bring thru LMO etc.) and when can you leave him with POSITIVE REFERENCE. New IT hires from India or Pakistan are the target victims of such employers with JOB OFFER. Like a top Canadian financial group is targeting new immigrants for their Insurance Product sale -on commission basis only- no matter what qualification/experience you carry! So you know what I mean here, be careful of such traps!

Positive reference is backbone of getting new job in Canada. If you came here thru LMO/Job Offer then see what your employer need is! Reference is like a credit history and you will end up a final question from prospective employers 'why had you left your last job?' Also note, Work Permit rules here are the most tough leading to harsh realities!

Though officially, no one could ask or deny out-of-Canada experience but that's fact here. Be a junior programmer or a Senior Manager..... you have to start from scratch. How difficult it is when a senior lead is being put on a junior/learning programming curve & asked to learn Canadain style of work productivity in a week's time! So be careful, what your small-not-a-top-notch employer is expecting from you!

Due to this mentality of employers, attrition rate is too high. Don't be victim of this when you are 3 or 6 months old in Canada and with family of 3 kids and short of funds. Finally you will end up in labor jobs or PizzaPiza, Macdonald, TimHorton washing tables or serving tea ( @ $10.25/h) with all your Java, C++,.NET or ASP skills! Isn't that disgusting for IT skills holders, may Allah saves you from this situation!

No degree needed for IT because it is skill; if you are in grade 4 or 5 or 6 but speak English well and know programming language or Apps development, that's all, employer needs. So no issue however if you want a permanent job or study then such degrees need to be assessed called credential assessment. A minimum of out-of-Canada-Masters (after assessment) is good here to start life (means a job of $80/hr) and you could live a good life for 1 year! Next year you have to plan again, that's North America unlike India or Pakistan where you could survive a single job for more than 10-15 years!

Engineering like Medical, is also a regulated profession but not Computer Engineering. That is considered as a skill!

Hope this gives better idea to fkl & others waiting-in-immigration-line!
Finally a sensible Post.. Thank you... +1

RajeevPillai

Star Member
Jan 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2009
LANDED..........
15-04-2011
I work with the HR division of one of the govt company based in Toronto. Over the past 8 months, we hired nearly 135 candidates in various divisions like Finance, HR, IT, Marketing etc. If I remember well, there were 4-5 newcomers (Permanent Residents) who were hired during this time (I did the background checks for them, and so I remember very well). These guys had experience from Dubai and India, and did exceptionally well during their interviews. And most importantly, all the 5 candidates were sourced from Linkedin. All 5 had connected to our recruitment team on Linkedin which helped them to reach the screening stage :)

RajeevPillai

Star Member
Jan 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2009
LANDED..........
15-04-2011
More than networking from social connects, I have also encouraged people to network at social events. Not typically job search networking events, etc. but, community events, volunteering for a fundraiser, or, at a new restaurant opening, grand opening, food/wine tasting event, etc. Too many times people forget that in a professional setting, your personality and how you let others know you are looking, can help your career at the same time as being engaging in a social setting. Don't show up to events with your resume and clipboard in one hand and business card in the other either... Also, don't be a pest to your connects but find someone who would want to help endorse you and/or stand behind you separate from your work, past and present. The vast majority of successful job seekers who 'used' networking to open up employment opportunities obtained their new job not from someone they knew - but from someone that they were introduced to BY someone they knew. People you already know might hire you - but more likely it is people THEY know who will hire you.

AdnanBhatti

Sep 29, 2013
KhalidSubhan said:
Do let me know if you need any help. I have been an active member of this forum for years and I have been receiving a lot of messages recently. Additionally it is going to be hard for to keep track of each and every post as the first year in canada is very busy as everything is new. So I would create a new email or fb id and would share it with you, so it would be easy for me reply to everyone.

and let me thank everyone for all the help during the immigration process for 3 years.

I wish success to everyone and do remember me in prayers
Hi, Mr. Khalid
I am Adnan from Pakistan and I landed just two months back. I need help regarding my job as I am also a Network Administrator. Please send me your contact details, so that I can discuss with you.
THanks

JigJig

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-14-2010
AOR Received.
16-03-10
Med's Done....
16-10-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2011
LANDED..........
21-08-2011
Guys, patience, perseverance and prayer.

I was ready to wipe tables and wash dishes when VO requested for our passports(FSW with Family).
3 month prior to landing I was already applying online -keeping my hopes up. I got my initial interview when I was still in the Philippines, they told me to contact them once I have landed. But still I kept sending my cv online for other options. Second week upon landing I had 2 interviews - one asked if I could start the coming Monday (this is the company that called me from the Philippines).

Now working as full time.

To the people with ppr, I suggest you do the same. Well, this worked for me.

God bless!

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I am very happy to read the updates on this thread......very informed contributions. Please keep it coming, very beneficial for some of us who are still in the planning stage.
Kudos to you all.

*Mandie*

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
RajeevPillai said:
I work with the HR division of one of the govt company based in Toronto. Over the past 8 months, we hired nearly 135 candidates in various divisions like Finance, HR, IT, Marketing etc. If I remember well, there were 4-5 newcomers (Permanent Residents) who were hired during this time (I did the background checks for them, and so I remember very well). These guys had experience from Dubai and India, and did exceptionally well during their interviews. And most importantly, all the 5 candidates were sourced from Linkedin. All 5 had connected to our recruitment team on Linkedin which helped them to reach the screening stage :)
but some body said you have fake accounts like susan george, and two three more,,what about that...i saw then you abused that guy and talked about her mother...

are you sure you work in hr division of govt?? :eek:

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
mandiebraxton said:
I am very happy to read the updates on this thread......very informed contributions. Please keep it coming, very beneficial for some of us who are still in the planning stage.
Kudos to you all.

*Mandie*
madie braxton you can have my phone no if you like..i am in toronto for last 8 months...i can guide you...i work as customer services representative in cibc bank

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
NN74 said:
All,

I had written down comments about Khalid Subhan as he was painting a picture that is not common here in Toronto!

For fkl, I am writing collectively without any offence to help understand what job market is here, how employers looked at you & when employer could kick you out.

There are three things important for new immigrants:

1. Out of Canada experience
2. Out of Canada education
3. Regulated Profession

Your out of Canada experience is not recognized at all by top-rated Canadian employers; esp your experience in India or Pakistan or Bangladesh or Middle East. So your first 6 or 12 months here are tough. Initially in finding a job & then adjusting with it. Be careful, when employer is giving you a job title like Senior lead or Senior Developer or Senior Manager when you don't have Canadian experience! There's something here!

Canadian job market esp for IT is fast-paced and short-lived. This means full time permanent jobs are limited and short-term jobs are plenty such as programmers, developers etc only for 3 months or 6 months with wage ranges between $55-75 per hour, 8 hrs/day & 40 hrs /week. So look at your employer, what he is paying you, why he has selected you (he is not your guardian to offer you a job while you are out of Canada, there's some profit for him to bring thru LMO etc.) and when can you leave him with POSITIVE REFERENCE. New IT hires from India or Pakistan are the target victims of such employers with JOB OFFER. Like a top Canadian financial group is targeting new immigrants for their Insurance Product sale -on commission basis only- no matter what qualification/experience you carry! So you know what I mean here, be careful of such traps!

Positive reference is backbone of getting new job in Canada. If you came here thru LMO/Job Offer then see what your employer need is! Reference is like a credit history and you will end up a final question from prospective employers 'why had you left your last job?' Also note, Work Permit rules here are the most tough leading to harsh realities!

Though officially, no one could ask or deny out-of-Canada experience but that's fact here. Be a junior programmer or a Senior Manager..... you have to start from scratch. How difficult it is when a senior lead is being put on a junior/learning programming curve & asked to learn Canadain style of work productivity in a week's time! So be careful, what your small-not-a-top-notch employer is expecting from you!

Due to this mentality of employers, attrition rate is too high. Don't be victim of this when you are 3 or 6 months old in Canada and with family of 3 kids and short of funds. Finally you will end up in labor jobs or PizzaPiza, Macdonald, TimHorton washing tables or serving tea ( @ $10.25/h) with all your Java, C++,.NET or ASP skills! Isn't that disgusting for IT skills holders, may Allah saves you from this situation!

No degree needed for IT because it is skill; if you are in grade 4 or 5 or 6 but speak English well and know programming language or Apps development, that's all, employer needs. So no issue however if you want a permanent job or study then such degrees need to be assessed called credential assessment. A minimum of out-of-Canada-Masters (after assessment) is good here to start life (means a job of $80/hr) and you could live a good life for 1 year! Next year you have to plan again, that's North America unlike India or Pakistan where you could survive a single job for more than 10-15 years!

Engineering like Medical, is also a regulated profession but not Computer Engineering. That is considered as a skill!

Hope this gives better idea to fkl & others waiting-in-immigration-line!
perfectly said....we need people like NN74 who talks common sense..

kiala

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
alinec said:
i am using my time very good too bad that all you r comments were bashing bashing.. like really why dnt you tell us your experience...

Ps: im a woman :)
Hello lady,

surely i will share my experience with you..I have been in canada for last 8 months...i am a banker by profession..currently working as csr in cibc bank....when i landed i went to employment ontario for modifications in my resume..i registered with many agencies too...i had many rejected interviews but the good thing i did that i made an awesome cover letter..90% of jobs that i applied i atleast got an interview call..i had almost 25 interviews so i became perfect in giving interviews and i learned the skills so finally hired by cibc... for cibc i used their online career alert services....

https://cibc.taleo.net/careersection/1/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en

my advice to others is keep giving interviews and don't get depressed if you are not hired..your time will also come like every dog has a day..

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Kiala, You are very right.

This guy Rajeev Pillai had used abusive language on my dead mother . He has many accounts on this forum like Mangatholi/ Susan George/ Master Blaster.

I can forgive a person of unsound mind.

lloydnina

May 6, 2010
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
march 2010
AOR Received.
sept 2010
IELTS Request
done
File Transfer...
may 2010
Med's Request
Jan 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 22,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 12, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2012
LANDED..........
January 2013
The above attitude was what really spins my head and i am still not able to believe there could be such fools who are still educated and on public forums.

Exactly my point

Status
Not open for further replies.