+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MY EXPERIENCE: Re-applying for Study Permit to change DLI

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I'm making a fresh post as a few people have asked me regarding the new application to change my DLI whilst still outside Canada (not landed). I will post my timelines below:

First Study permit:
  • MSc Computer Science at Bishop's university
  • Applied with my 4 kids
  • Application approved in April 2021 for all of us.
  • Validity on counterfoil and LOI was till March 31st 2023
I decided to switch DLI in May. Lots of emails, calls and back and forth with IRCC on whether I should re-apply or change once in Canada. After loads of research and responses from IRCC, the consensus was that I need to re-apply with my new LOA. I did not need to reapply for my dependents.

Second Study permit

• MSc Computer Science at University of Regina
  • Application submitted: May 23rd 2021.
  • Documents submitted:
    • 1. Required docs like Passport bio page, e-medical sheet for upfront etc
    • A new SOP (just a 1-pager saying why I was changing DLI. Not as comprehensive as the first one).
    • New LOA from uRegina ( I also included other LOAs I had from uVic, Concordia, SFU but I added this in the Client Information section).
    • Updated financial documents (just got new ones from bank).
    • In the client section, I uploaded the LOI letter than was issued to me for my first application and a copy of my counterfoil.
  • I didn't re-submit IELTS, employment letter, transcripts, degrees etc.
I received my PPR on 9th of July. My new LOI was issued today, and passport stamped yesterday. The new validity is September 30th 2023.

If there's anything you need clarity on, or any question you have regarding the re-application, I'll be happy to answer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: wonderbly

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
I'm making a fresh post as a few people have asked me regarding the new application to change my DLI whilst still outside Canada (not landed). I will post my timelines below:

First Study permit:
  • Applied with my 4 kids
I decided to switch DLI in May. Lots of emails, calls and back and forth with IRCC on whether I should re-apply or change once in Canada. After loads of research and responses from IRCC, the consensus was that I need to re-apply with my new LOA. I did not need to reapply for my dependents.

Second Study permit

• Documents submitted:
    • A new SOP (just a 1-pager saying why I was changing DLI. Not as comprehensive as the first one).
    • New LOA from uRegina ( I also included other LOAs I had from uVic, Concordia, SFU but I added this in the Client Information section).
    • In the client section, I uploaded the LOI letter than was issued to me for my first application and a copy of my counterfoil.
I received my PPR on 9th of July. My new LOI was issued today, and passport stamped yesterday. The new validity is September 30th 2023.

If there's anything you need clarity on, or any question you have regarding the re-application, I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks for posting this. Also, did you apply using the same GCKEY or did you use a different one?
And, in your second application when did your eligibility review started & when was your medical passed?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks for posting this. Also, did you apply using the same GCKEY or did you use a different one?
And, in your second application when did your eligibility review started & when was your medical passed?
Same GCKey account.
I have mentioned this in another post, but my application was stagnant since the day I applied (except for biometrics that was updated immediately) until the 9th of July. Not even medical was passed. Then everything happened within the same hour - medical passed, BVL received together with PPR.

CMog

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020

First Study permit:
  • Applied with my 4 kids

Second Study permit

• Documents submitted:

Were you using the Pretoria VAC?

Jul 12, 2019

First Study permit:
  • Applied with my 4 kids

Second Study permit

• Documents submitted:

I have recieved PPR for September 2021 , but University has told me that intake is full hence cannot allow to join. I have offer in the same dli for different course in January 2022. Can I attend the January 2022 with study permit of September 2021 ppr. I am outside Canada. DO I need to inform ircc for the same?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I have recieved PPR for September 2021 , but University has told me that intake is full hence cannot allow to join. I have offer in the same dli for different course in January 2022. Can I attend the January 2022 with study permit of September 2021 ppr. I am outside Canada. DO I need to inform ircc for the same?
Yes you can use same SP as long as it's the same DLI.
Because you are deferring for less than 150 days, you don't have to inform IRCC, but you can still do so if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Mabe211

Jun 12, 2021

First Study permit:
  • Applied with my 4 kids

Second Study permit

• Documents submitted:

Hi … I would like to know about your previous qualification as you admitted in many universities.
I also want to go for masters in computer science but i have a bachelors in computer which is only 3 years and no experience. So is there any chance from any university that i can get admission in masters in computer science with a 3 years bachelor in computer.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi … I would like to know about your previous qualification as you admitted in many universities.
I also want to go for masters in computer science but i have a bachelors in computer which is only 3 years and no experience. So is there any chance from any university that i can get admission in masters in computer science with a 3 years bachelor in computer.
Hi, I have a 4-year BSc (Hons) in Computer Science, MBA and 17 years experience in the same field.
I don't know any university that accepts 3-year degree for MSc. All the ones I applied to require 4-year BSc Computer Science or Similar...

Ozzyyy

Dec 25, 2021
Hi I would like to know how long it took for IRCC to reply you after you changed DLI,did they ask to stamp your passport again?and did you wait really long for the change of DLI process and I will also like to know if I can travel after applying for anew study permit because I am currently facing the same situation.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi I would like to know how long it took for IRCC to reply you after you changed DLI,did they ask to stamp your passport again?and did you wait really long for the change of DLI process and I will also like to know if I can travel after applying for anew study permit because I am currently facing the same situation.
All your questions are answered in my main post.
Yes, I had to submit my passport again for new visa/counterfoil. The old one was cancelled and invalidated.
If you have applied for a new SP, you can't travel until it is approved.