+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My (bad) Quebec experience

anonymoose

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I came here in October and to be honest, I feel like it was a downgrade from my life in western Europe.

• The range of apartments I've seen goes from disgusting to acceptable. If you want a small apartment considered nice by European standards, expect to pay $ 1300 a month. Finding one is a pain in the ass because everyone is trying to trick you into wasting your time with fake ads. They advertise one apartment and show you another (which is obviously way worse). Expect your landlord to have a key to your apartment and to enter it all the time for various reasons - which is partially even covered by the law.
  • It is hard to find a job (if you do not speak French?). In the few interviews you get they will all try to push you into a junior position with a relatively low salary. I accepted one and now I see that the job market is really saturated. One job posting a company puts out there gets around 100 applications. They will not spend much time looking at your resume so having a good one is essential.
  • Taxes are really high. Around 35 % deductions from your paycheck. 15 % sales tax. Even 10-15 % sales tax on used(!) cars!
  • Car insurance will be pretty expensive in the beginning. Expect 1400 CAD annually.
  • Phone plans are expensive at around 60 $ per month, and they have horrible customer and network service. Expect to call them at least twice to get issues resolved after signing up.
  • The majority of people here are extremely unreliable and rude. If you make an appointment, you need to confirm it three times or they will simply forget or not show up. Of course there are exceptions. Also I have not yet heard a Quebec person admitting a mistake they've made.
  • Quebec culture sometimes seems a bit autistic to me.
  • Your rights as a tenant or employee are far less developed than in Europe. 2-3 weeks annual vacation only. High weekly working hours. Low pay. Apartment leases that last for a year after which your landlord can increase the rent as they wish.

If you come from a poor country or a country with problems you might be better off here but if you have a decent life wherever you are, reconsider coming here. You will sacrifice a few years of your life to return to your previous status and it needs to be worth it for you.

andy108

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
**-09-2017
Please see my comments below.

anonymoose said:
I came here in October and to be honest, I feel like it was a downgrade from my life in western Europe.

• The range of apartments I've seen goes from disgusting to acceptable. If you want a small apartment considered nice by European standards, expect to pay $ 1300 a month. Finding one is a pain in the ass because everyone is trying to trick you into wasting your time with fake ads. They advertise one apartment and show you another (which is obviously way worse). Expect your landlord to have a key to your apartment and to enter it all the time for various reasons - which is partially even covered by the law.

I think you only compare to Austria/Germany? Go to the UK or France, or Italy - housing standards are appalling

• It is hard to find a job (if you do not speak French?). In the few interviews you get they will all try to push you into a junior position with a relatively low salary. I accepted one and now I see that the job market is really saturated. One job posting a company puts out there gets around 100 applications. They will not spend much time looking at your resume so having a good one is essential.

I lived in Germany, i speak German - i could get a job, but if you dont speak German its a challenge beyond a simple one - to find a job. Same in Austria btw. Expect similar.

• Taxes are really high. Around 35 % deductions from your paycheck. 15 % sales tax. Even 10-15 % sales tax on used(!) cars!
  • Car insurance will be pretty expensive in the beginning. Expect 1400 CAD annually.
You can use your No-claim bonus to bring it down.

• Phone plans are expensive at around 60 $ per month, and they have horrible customer and network service. Expect to call them at least twice to get issues resolved after signing up.

Is Austria much better?

• The majority of people here are extremely unreliable and rude. If you make an appointment, you need to confirm it three times or they will simply forget or not show up. Of course there are exceptions. Also I have not yet heard a Quebec person admitting a mistake they've made.

Integrate!

• Your rights as a tenant or employee are far less developed than in Europe. 2-3 weeks annual vacation only. High weekly working hours. Low pay. Apartment leases that last for a year after which your landlord can increase the rent as they wish.

I guess the more capitalism is there, the less "social benefits" you get, which is also good.

If you come from a poor country or a country with problems you might be better off here but if you have a decent life wherever you are, reconsider coming here. You will sacrifice a few years of your life to return to your previous status and it needs to be worth it for you.

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
anonymoose,

I spent nearly five years as a PR in Quebec and had a few thoughts to add (I am now in Toronto).

anonymoose said:
Add $500 to $1,000+ for an apartment that's similarly close to the city in Toronto. The same ads appear here; it's something that's common everywhere and you have to be very careful. The law in Quebec is clear with regard to a landlord entering your apartment; it's similar in Ontario.

anonymoose said:

Finding employment is indeed difficult in Quebec if you do not speak French due to the language laws and the fact that many jobs that involve direct contact with the general public will be closed to you. French is, after all, the official language of Quebec and that's made very clear during the immigration process. You are expected to learn French if you choose to settle in Quebec. Opportunity does exist in many fields but one must be creative in how they find these opportunities. I used connections in the U.S. and was able to find a well-paying position in my career field after about two months.

anonymoose said:
Income and sales taxes are somewhat lower in Ontario but not by all that much. In my opinion, the real issues in Quebec are more centered in the cost of basic items (milk at ~$7/4 liters minimum by law and gasoline fluctuating daily by as much as $0.20/liter for no logical reason in ALL stations). You have far fewer choices in just about any store and also online (retailers can't ship certain items to Quebec).

anonymoose said:

Double it (or more) for Ontario. Quebec underwrites a large portion of the medical part of auto insurance. Consider yourself lucky! If you have 30+ years of driving experience with records showing no accidents, tickets or insurance claims then you might pay $1,200 - $1,400 in Ontario, if not...

anonymoose said:
Add $10-$25 for Ontario phone plans from the same vendors (Bell, Fido), perhaps more. Network service is better in downtown Toronto but about the same outside of the city.

anonymoose said:
With the exception of the last sentence I found your words a bit strong. The "wasn't me" part of the culture is something I noticed and it definitely bothered me. I'm the first to admit a mistake or error; it's the way I was brought up. I've had many interesting conversations with coworkers and friends in Quebec about admitting fault!

anonymoose said:
Again a bit strong. Different, yes.

anonymoose said:
The North American standard, especially for a new employee is 2-3 weeks with more weeks added over time.

A landlord in Quebec actually can't raise the rent "as they wish" in Quebec - you may want to examine the following link:

https://www.rdl.gouv.qc.ca/en

If your rent was increased more than would be deemed reasonable you can file with the Regis. NEVER accept the landlord's "first offer" for a new rent in Quebec.

anonymoose said:
I came from the U.S. and was generally happy in Quebec. However, in order to continue to grow in my career I had to leave Quebec and move to Ontario. It's difficult to thrive in Quebec if you don't know French or can't (or won't) learn it, but there are still opportunities there, just not as many perhaps as elsewhere in Canada.

anonymoose

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right, I did use some strong language there but that was because I just returned from a really bad experience when I typed that and I was pretty angry. Thanks for your opinion.

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
anonymoose,

No issue - and I've probably shared many of your frustrations over the years. The worst was being screamed at in the middle of the Grande Bibliotheque by an extremist (older guy) because I had the unbelievable nerve (in his opinion) to quietly speak to my three-year old son in English rather than French while waiting in line. Of course, he was screaming at me in English. What was he saying? Oh, thinigs like "you are not wanted here", "go back to the U.S., you piece of <insert explicative here>", etc. Both of my very young children were quite scared by that. Several people in line finally told him to be quiet (and apologized for his behavior). In my opinion the reaction of the bystanders shows the true soul of Montreal and the comments of the extremist reflect an aging minority in Quebec.

When it comes to general quality of life, Quebec (and Montreal in particular) is a wonderful place to live. In comparison to most major cities major crime is not nearly as high, the parks are large and beautiful, and there are so many festivals and family things to do. The cost of electricity is very low, water and sewer are free (very expensive in Toronto) and there isn't as much of a "bleed money from the population through fees" mentality in Government. Fees for just about everything imaginable are an issue in Toronto and this narrows the income tax differences somewhat.

I should add that I understand and read French quite well; however, I was often hesitant to speak it conversationally because I have difficulty with pronunciation (strong accent) and was often made to fell uncomfortable about that, even by close friends.

Vinc360

Oct 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO Sydney N.S / CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
AOR Received.
03-03-2016
Med's Request
11-07-2016
Med's Done....
18-07-2016 (30-07-2016 Medical Results Received)
Passport Req..
Decision made: 06-12-2016. No PPR (Visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 09-12-2016
LANDED..........
18-12-2016
I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience, OP. I hope you find happiness here! As with everywhere else, there are positives and negatives... But it is everyone's responsibility to do what they can to make our society a better place.

As for the language issue, Montreal is pretty accomodating if you speak english. I would however recommend taking some of the free french classes. Please ignore some of the french extremists that still lurk around. As a QC native french speaker myself, I can't help but feel disturbed / ashamed when I meet people like that. Please don't think they represent the mentality of all natives and don't let it dissuade you from integrating and helping shape our culture!

elchar

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
Wow I must admit that I felt a little bit confused while reading about your experience in QC since my perception is candadian are very friendly and kind people.

I´m planning migrate with my spouse and child and feel nervious because I don´t speak frech. I´ll like to learn it of course but that is not a real yet.

I have to say that find very useful this post since I know through your experience what to do and what not to do, and where is the best place to settle (montreal) for a guy like me as well

Thanks