+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple Sclerosis Medications

HajarAgag

Dec 8, 2017
Hello all!

I received an ITA before my diagnosis with RRMS (relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis) of a minor grade. I went through all requested medical examinations and provided all scans and medical documents and thankfully they did not comment anything negative until now. They asked me to pay the PR fees (490 CDN) which means that they might be okay with my condition.

My question is regarding the insurance and medications. I know that MS medications are expensive and that the public health insurance doesn't cover any medications. What are the steps and what are the finances for something like this? At least for a period of three months or something until one can find a job (of course all this in the case that I receive my PR for sure). Also do private health insurance plans become expensive in such case?
If you have any links or websites to these topics please let me know them.

Thanks a lot for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to clarify you informed the doctor about your MS during your medical. If not you are supposed to inform CIC about changes in your family, health, etc.

The answer really depend on what province you plan on moving to.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all!

I received an ITA before my diagnosis with RRMS (relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis) of a minor grade. I went through all requested medical examinations and provided all scans and medical documents and thankfully they did not comment anything negative until now. They asked me to pay the PR fees (490 CDN) which means that they might be okay with my condition.

My question is regarding the insurance and medications. I know that MS medications are expensive and that the public health insurance doesn't cover any medications. What are the steps and what are the finances for something like this? At least for a period of three months or something until one can find a job (of course all this in the case that I receive my PR for sure). Also do private health insurance plans become expensive in such case?

If you have to wait three months before you have provincial health insurance coverage, you should expect that you will have to pay for the costs of the medication out of your own pocket. Private insurance won't cover the costs since it's a pre-existing condition.

Once you have provincial health care coverage, if there are costs not covered through the program - you may have to pay for these yourself (i.e. out of your own pocket). It's also possible that once you have a job - that employer may have a benefits package that could cover some or all of these costs. However not all employers offer benefits packages like this and not all medication costs are covered when there is a benefits package offered. So it's difficult to answer your question since there are so many variables.

My recommendation to you is to find out if and how much of your treatment costs are covered by the provincial health care system - and then assume you will have to pay for the rest out of pocket.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all!

No, you are wrong.

In BC, if you are eligible, provincial health insurance does cover medications.

Reactions: HajarAgag

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also wanted to point out that you will have to see a Canadian doctor and most likely a neurologist to get medication. The wait to see a neurologist take a few months minimum. Not sure if you are coming to Canada alone but there is not a ton of support if you are unable to do things on your own. Sometime new Canadians (or Canadians who have never been sick) are unaware of the large gaps in care that exist.

HajarAgag

Dec 8, 2017
No, you are wrong.

In BC, if you are eligible, provincial health insurance does cover medications.
Just to clarify you informed the doctor about your MS during your medical. If not you are supposed to inform CIC about changes in your family, health, etc.

The answer really depend on what province you plan on moving to.
I informed the doctor about my condition and CIC asked for further tests and I did them and nothing happened until they requested the PR fees (490 CAD). I needed to know on average how it might cost for me to get medications (considering Ontario as a first choice).

HajarAgag

Dec 8, 2017
If you have to wait three months before you have provincial health insurance coverage, you should expect that you will have to pay for the costs of the medication out of your own pocket. Private insurance won't cover the costs since it's a pre-existing condition.

Once you have provincial health care coverage, if there are costs not covered through the program - you may have to pay for these yourself (i.e. out of your own pocket). It's also possible that once you have a job - that employer may have a benefits package that could cover some or all of these costs. However not all employers offer benefits packages like this and not all medication costs are covered when there is a benefits package offered. So it's difficult to answer your question since there are so many variables.

My recommendation to you is to find out if and how much of your treatment costs are covered by the provincial health care system - and then assume you will have to pay for the rest out of pocket.
what do you mean with pre-existing condition?

HajarAgag

Dec 8, 2017
I'm
Also wanted to point out that you will have to see a Canadian doctor and most likely a neurologist to get medication. The wait to see a neurologist take a few months minimum. Not sure if you are coming to Canada alone but there is not a ton of support if you are unable to do things on your own. Sometime new Canadians (or Canadians who have never been sick) are unaware of the large gaps in care that exist.
I'm coming alone or with my friend in case she's accepted. My condition is not that bad for now. Private insurance won't cover my medication? unless it is through a job?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In Ontario there is a program called Trillium drug program if your drug costs are a large percentage of your salary especially if you don't have medical coverage. Not all medications are covered and you still pay a large deductible. Also not sure you would be covered until you get OHIP. Many jobs are contract jobs and don't offer medical coverage. Used to be standard but there is chance that your job will Not offer extended health benefits. Not sure where you are coming from but MS without friends will be quite difficult. The health system isn't great when you deal with chronic illness. A lot of costs and responsibilities end up in the individuals. Just want to know what you are up against. People's expectations of the Canadian health care system often don't coincide with reality.

HajarAgag

Dec 8, 2017
It is too much for me to understand!
My medication is not covered in Trillium
another question: is buying private insurance expensive?
sorry guys for asking too much but i'm trying to figure out how it's going to work for me

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is too much for me to understand!
My medication is not covered in Trillium
another question: is buying private insurance expensive?
sorry guys for asking too much but i'm trying to figure out how it's going to work for me
Private insurance won't help you. Private insurance won't cover preexisitng conditions or any treatment / medication required for preexisting conditions. Insurance companies are in the business of making money - so they aren't going to sell you a policy that's going to cost them more than you pay in insurance premiums.