+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple Sclerosis Medications

HajarAgag

Dec 8, 2017
Private insurance won't help you. Private insurance won't cover preexisitng conditions or any treatment / medication required for preexisting conditions. Insurance companies are in the business of making money - so they aren't going to sell you a policy that's going to cost them more than you pay in insurance premiums.
okay. what would you recommend? as a person who knows different ways of getting insurance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your only option is to find a job with extended health benefits. Given your medication costs I am surprised you were given PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry misinterpreted that you had been accepted. Not being mean. It is the reality of medical inadmissibility.

Hunnie91

Aug 1, 2017
Hi. We are planning to apply for Canada PR. But my wife has MS. She is doing fine with medications now. She is also employed and lives a normal life with medications.

The cost of her medications is around 40K /month in India. She is taking Tecfidera pills which costs more than $20000 per annum in Canada.

Do we pass the medicals and get Visa? Please reply.

I heard from many colleagues to hide the medical history as MS cannot be found in normal tests. Also, once i get PR, there wont be any issue.

Is it fine to hide her medical history? But she has developed cataract due to steroids usage in the past. Please suggest.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi. We are planning to apply for Canada PR. But my wife has MS. She is doing fine with medications now. She is also employed and lives a normal life with medications.

The cost of her medications is around 40K /month in India. She is taking Tecfidera pills which costs more than $20000 per annum in Canada.

I heard from many colleagues to hide the medical history as MS cannot be found in normal tests. Also, once i get PR, there wont be any issue.

Is it fine to hide her medical history? But she has developed cataract due to steroids usage in the past. Please suggest.
With that level of costs, there is a very high chance she would be deemed medically inadmissible. If the medication is not typically covered under provincial healthcare, you would need to show a strong mitigation plan to continue covering the costs yourself.

Regarding not declaring the condition in your medical, doubt you will get much help here to commit misrepresentation/immigration fraud.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW

I think you know the answer to the last question.
You just have to wait and see what they decide in your case, whether you are admissible to Canada or not.

I'm sorry, but it makes me sad that someone will hide their medical/criminal/family history and come to Canada as a permanent resident and get the same treatment as those who are absolutely honest and have no issues with admissibility.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
NO, it’s not fine to hide information relevant to your application. It’s illegal. Your colleges are idiots! It’s misrepresentation and honestly, you will always have to be concerned that they will find out and revoke your PR status (if you get it) for lying on your application. There is no limitation on misrepresentation and it can be dealt with even after you become a citizen (as in loosing it).

Reactions: YVR123

DPF8

Dec 10, 2018
Dear All,

I am considering to apply for the Canadian PR in the nearest future. I have heard that those foreigners who had already been diagnosed with MS in their home country and got subscribed to local medication programs are able to present this evidence to the Canadian officials. Thereby, it is possible to prove a newcomer to be not becoming a burden for the Canadian health care system.

Does anyone know anything about that?
How is it possible to arrange pills/injections delivery?

I would be also pleased to hear some more real stories about your personal experience on the matter.

Unfortunately, most of the messages here are fairly abstract as they don't contain enough helpful information. Migrants are thinking of law violations because they don't see the existing legal options. So, when the health of your dearest is at stake, you start thinking of hiding these preexisting conditions. I understand them.

Best wishes,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have heard that those foreigners who had already been diagnosed with MS in their home country and got subscribed to local medication programs are able to present this evidence to the Canadian officials. Thereby, it is possible to prove a newcomer to be not becoming a burden for the Canadian health care system.
This is incorrect information and IRCC will not accept this as evidence the newcomer will not be a burden. IRCC will assess the applicant based on the costs of the treatment / medications in Canada.

Smileyman

Jun 11, 2019
No, you are wrong.

In BC, if you are eligible, provincial health insurance does cover medications.
Hello Beautiful People,
My wife got diagnosed with MS in pakistan 6 months ago, she is not on any sort of medications as her condition is (Clinically Isolated Syndrome), the doctors have told her that she does not required any medication as her condition is absolutely stable and not at all progressive thanks to almighty GOD.

We are looking to apply for Canadian immigration via Federal Skilled Immigration program, my wife will be the primary applicant. What are the chances of not passing the medical exams due to declaring Multiple Sclerosis?

I have read on alot of posts that if your medication exceeds $20,000/- you are medically inadmissable but if you are not on any sort of medications at all and completely fine since in some people MS stays in them forever but never hurts them, nor progress nor does it affect their physical or mental ability.

Does the IRCC calculate the average cost of medication in canada via assessing the medications the applicant is on or its dependent the sort of disease and its stage? whats the criteria please and what should we be expecting?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Beautiful People,
My wife got diagnosed with MS in pakistan 6 months ago, she is not on any sort of medications as her condition is (Clinically Isolated Syndrome), the doctors have told her that she does not required any medication as her condition is absolutely stable and not at all progressive thanks to almighty GOD.

We are looking to apply for Canadian immigration via Federal Skilled Immigration program, my wife will be the primary applicant. What are the chances of not passing the medical exams due to declaring Multiple Sclerosis?

I have read on alot of posts that if your medication exceeds $20,000/- you are medically inadmissable but if you are not on any sort of medications at all and completely fine since in some people MS stays in them forever but never hurts them, nor progress nor does it affect their physical or mental ability.

Does the IRCC calculate the average cost of medication in canada via assessing the medications the applicant is on or its dependent the sort of disease and its stage? whats the criteria please and what should we be expecting?
It isn't just medicine. IRCC will evaluate all expected costs over a 5 or 10 year period following the medical. Given your wife's disease, they will likely use the 10 year projection. If it exceeds the Excessive Demand Threshold, she would be medically inadmissible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/refusals-inadmissibility/excessive-demand-on-health-social-services.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Beautiful People,

MS is a progressive disease so not sure how your doctor can assure that she will remain stable. There are certainly different forms but to say there will be no health consequences is very unlikely.

Smileyman

Jun 11, 2019
MS is a progressive disease so not sure how your doctor can assure that she will remain stable. There are certainly different forms but to say there will be no health consequences is very unlikely.
For many people MS is not progressive and stays the same for 50 years or so....in some who have lesions in the spine have progressive RRMS...

Smileyman

Jun 11, 2019
It isn't just medicine. IRCC will evaluate all expected costs over a 5 or 10 year period following the medical. Given your wife's disease, they will likely use the 10 year projection. If it exceeds the Excessive Demand Threshold, she would be medically inadmissible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/refusals-inadmissibility/excessive-demand-on-health-social-services.html
according to below mentioned link it states the 5 year projection plan, it even gives an example of a MS patient in his 50's and on MS medication of which the calculations were done and since he was beyond the $20,000/- threshold. Hence medically inadmissable.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/excessive-demand.html

What do you think about this? as they do mention of patient being on specific medicines which cost (XYZ) in canada. but if someone is diagnosed and not at all on any sort of medication nor have any sort of disability. I mean the physician wont even know she has MS until we tell him because thanks to Almighty God there are nothing to be diagnosed of it physically. Only keeping the right diet.