+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple Citizenship Disclosure

Desperate202

Jan 10, 2019
Dear All,

thanks in advance for reading this and I’ll try to keep it short

I’m currently filling out my renewal for permanent residency card application. I came across an interesting section which want me to list my country(ies) of citizenship(s). No I’ve acquired another Citizenship since I became a Canadian permanent resident. So in other words, I applied with a one and attained another one.

What extra checks/delays that it would cause if I put it on the form? and what are the consequence of NOT putting it on the form (it’s technically not lying as I just chose not to list it which ISN’T considered misrepresentation)

It’s already almost 6 months without this extra bit of information because of coronavirus and I don’t want to wait for over a year if there are more delays by mentioning my second citizenship

please let me know would you do if you’re in my shoes

thanks

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/document-misrepresentation.html

Withholding required information is considered misrepresentation because you are making a false statement (i.e. saying that you did not acquire the other citizenship when, in fact, you did). Canada allows multiple citizenships, so you do not have a legitimate reason for not disclosing it. Committing misrepresentation as a PR will most certainly cause your PR status to be revoked, which will lead to you getting deported, and banned from entry into Canada for at least five years. So if 'I were in your shoes', I would disclose the other citizenship, as well as anything else that is asked on the application.

Desperate202

Jan 10, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/document-misrepresentation.html

Withholding required information is considered misrepresentation because you are making a false statement (i.e. saying that you did not acquire the other citizenship when, in fact, you did). Canada allows multiple citizenships, so you do not have a legitimate reason for not disclosing it. Committing misrepresentation as a PR will most certainly cause your PR status to be revoked, which will lead to you getting deported, and banned from entry into Canada for at least five years. So if 'I were in your shoes', I would disclose the other citizenship, as well as anything else that is asked on the application.
Thanks for the answer.

I’m more than happy to provide the answer. However, I’m merely enquiring as to what extra checks that would happen , if any, that would cause my application to take longer to process

also, the question on the application is simply asking to list citizenships. It wasn’t specifically asking if I’ve got multiple citizenships.

so by listing the one I used to come to Canada and not listing the other isn’t really considered misrepresentation because it won’t affect any administrative decision and there’s no lie that I actually did

if the question was ,for example, ‘do you have more than one citizenship?’ And I answered no, then that would be considered misrepresentation

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So if the question says ‘list citizenships’ then if I read that I would take to mean all citizenships purely by fact it says citizenships (plural) and not citizenship (single)

You would be lying by hiding the fact you have more than one citizenship so if you want to put your Canadian citizenship to add to your collection at risk as well as potentially your PR status guess is your decision. In the current situation everything is taking longer so everyone just has to be patient and accept will take as long as it takes.

Cannot answer whether makes any difference in processing other than fact maybe you might be asked for citizenship(s) proof plus of course never conceal anything from IRCC it really is not worth it

Last edited:

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks for the answer.

I’m more than happy to provide the answer. However, I’m merely enquiring as to what extra checks that would happen , if any, that would cause my application to take longer to process

also, the question on the application is simply asking to list citizenships. It wasn’t specifically asking if I’ve got multiple citizenships.

so by listing the one I used to come to Canada and not listing the other isn’t really considered misrepresentation because it won’t affect any administrative decision and there’s no lie that I actually did

if the question was ,for example, ‘do you have more than one citizenship?’ And I answered no, then that would be considered misrepresentation
So there have been multiple Case Laws / Jurisprudence . Brooks [1974] S.C.R. 850 is an example...and also, as per IRPA, Misrepresentation 40 (1) "A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter
that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;"
the key words/phrases included are "indirectly" & "withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter"

Conclusion is should detail out.

Best wishes!

I am not a legal expert...view it as another opinion!

Desperate202

Jan 10, 2019
So there have been multiple Case Laws / Jurisprudence . Brooks [1974] S.C.R. 850 is an example...and also, as per IRPA, Misrepresentation 40 (1) "A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter
that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;"
the key words/phrases included are "indirectly" & "withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter"

Conclusion is should detail out.

Best wishes!

I am not a legal expert...view it as another opinion!
Thanks and I agree! Please consider the following more of clarification than defending the point:

The key points you mentioned are exactly right. However, the rest of the sentence mentions that the misrepresentation would happen if it induces or could induce errors in the administration process. The piece of information I’m withholding would in no way, shape or form affect the administration process! The only thing that matter in the case of permanent residency renewal is the number of days spent inside/outside Canada from what I gathered

For everyone’s reference, the full description I found online is:

Section 40 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a permanent resident or foreign national is inadmissible to Canada for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of Canada’s immigration laws

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The fact is... IRCC asks for the citizenships you hold.
It's up to them, not to you, to decide what is relevant to an application.

And, IMHO, knowing that you can use different passports to enter and leave the country is absolutely relevant, regarding the calculation of days you spent in Canada. Not telling them that you hold citizenship B, COULD mean that you wish to hide the fact that you left the country with the second passport without wanting them to know. The consequences are yours to discover if they find out...

Please answer fully and truthfully. No-one here will tell you otherwise.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I do not think anybody here really understands why you feel the need to hide your citizenships unless of course you have something to hide in the country you are not declaring which you feel may delay your PR card renewal that might be some peoples conclusion.

Obviously it is up to you what you declare or not having signed a formal legal declaration that all information is truthful and accurate so technically any omission could be regarded as misrepresentation.

These omissions of information often come back on people when they make an unintentional slip up so maybe keep that in mind as well as and when you want to apply for Canadian citizenship should you decide to continue with the deceit.

Good luck

Reactions: Buletruck