+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving abroad after applying - where do you take the test?

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Hi everybody,

Just a quick update to let you know that I sent the address request change on October 2018, on March 2019 I took the test and told the officer that I requested the change of the address to Spain but that it wasn't changed on ECAS. She wasn't very surprised. Well, I received an email yesterday about my application and I have my oath ceremony in 1 month. So there hasn't been any issue with moving abroad. I still got my citizenship and didn't have to fill the RQ.

So, as long as you do everything right and don't lie, there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks again for your help!
Hi there,

Do you mind sharing the link you used to request Change of Address request? We are also moving out of Canada while our citizenship application is in progress. There are different forms/procedures on Canada.ca as well as this forum so it would help if I get some direction from someone who has been through this "Change of address or leaving Canada" scenario himself/herself.

Let me know please.

Thanks,

Sep 19, 2018
Any change of address outside Canada can’t be made online using the Change of Address (e-COA) website, or by calling the call centre. Use the IRCC Web Form Just make sure you’ve added @cic.gc.ca to your email safe sender list so that notices sent by IRCC for the citizenship test or ceremony aren’t delivered to your junk folder. :) You can also request that all correspondence be sent to your email address.

But if you already gave a valid email address in your application, that’ll be done automatically. :)

Hi there,

Do you mind sharing the link you used to request Change of Address request? We are also moving out of Canada while our citizenship application is in progress. There are different forms/procedures on Canada.ca as well as this forum so it would help if I get some direction from someone who has been through this "Change of address or leaving Canada" scenario himself/herself.

Let me know please.

Thanks,

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
I personally know 2 people from work who applied around the end of 2017 (after C-6) and moved out of Canada, one moved just a couple of months after submission, the other one moved after over a year. Both got their test and oath invite while living outside of Canada, and both have become citizens without any RQ
Any change of address outside Canada can’t be made online using the Change of Address (e-COA) website, or by calling the call centre. Use the IRCC Web Form Just make sure you’ve added @cic.gc.ca to your email safe sender list so that notices sent by IRCC for the citizenship test or ceremony aren’t delivered to your junk folder. :) You can also request that all correspondence be sent to your email address.

But if you already gave a valid email address in your application, that’ll be done automatically. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Submitted via Web form today. Fingers crossed now :)

Can-On

May 5, 2020
Hi there,
Thank you for your posts they really help.

So just to sum up, if after applying for the citizenship I have to spend sometime outside Canada “between 6 months and a year”, I have to change my mailing address to a friend for example, and to change my residential address to my new one which I reside-in outside Canada. Not doing so and keep same mailing and residential addresses as was mentioned in my Citizenship application would considered as “Misrepresentation“, right?

I will appreciate your inputs.

Thank you.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi there,

So just to sum up, if after applying for the citizenship I have to spend sometime outside Canada “between 6 months and a year”, I have to change my mailing address to a friend for example, and to change my residential address to my new one which I reside-in outside Canada. Not doing so and keep same mailing and residential addresses as was mentioned in my Citizenship application would considered as “Misrepresentation“, right?

Thank you.
Correct

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi there,

Thank you.
No. There were many people who had different province health card and driver license when they had interview and while showing to officers they showed different ID cards than that was mentioned in the application.

Instructions on why they want us to keep the address up to date:
"If you do not notify us of any change in your contact information, and we can’t reach you, your application could be abandoned or closed."

There is nothing misrepresentation in not updating the address to current.

Reactions: Flandernss

Can-On

May 5, 2020
No. There were many people who had different province health card and driver license when they had interview and while showing to officers they showed different ID cards than that was mentioned in the application.

"If you do not notify us of any change in your contact information, and we can’t reach you, your application could be abandoned or closed."

There is nothing misrepresentation in not updating the address to current.
Thank you @harirajmohan for your detailed clarification.
Thank you @smash1984 for your response.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . if after applying for the citizenship I have to spend sometime outside Canada “between 6 months and a year”, I have to change my mailing address to a friend for example, and to change my residential address to my new one which I reside-in outside Canada
I largely agree with the observation posted by @smash1984 with some qualification: Failing to provide IRCC with a change of address, or providing a residential address other than where you actually reside, is misrepresentation.

Whether or not this will cause problems, and even if so to what extent, is NOT easily forecast. There are many no-problem reports.

While it is rare to see formal enforcement actions taken for misrepresentation in these situations, there are reports of various problems likely triggered by this (remember, IRCC generally does not inform applicants why it does things like issue RQ). The problems reported tend to be about non-routine processing, RQ-related processing, or lengthy delays in processing.

The observation by @harirajmohan, to the extent that it suggests advising IRCC of a change in residential address is discretionary, is not accurate. Applicants are required to timely notify IRCC of any change in information that is provided in the application.

Separate and apart from this, the applicant verifies (in the signature box on the application) she will notify IRCC of ANY CHANGE in the information provided in the application.

The applicant is obligated to notify IRCC of any change in residential address.

While fudging the address information is widespread and in effect gotten-away-with by many, the applicant is nonetheless obligated to TRUTHFULLY report the address where the applicant actually resides. Including after applying and while the application is in process.

Using someone else's address is misrepresentation. Whether it is a material misrepresentation depends on additional factors. Whether IRCC makes an issue of inconsistencies in address information varies considerably.

Similarly the failure to notify IRCC of a change in address. Misrepresentation by omission. Direct enforcement is infrequent but collateral consequences are not, ranging from delays in processing to issuing RQ.

Reactions: smash1984

michel_hammamet

Aug 14, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
Paris
Hi everybody,

Just a quick update to let you know that I sent the address request change on October 2018, on March 2019 I took the test and told the officer that I requested the change of the address to Spain but that it wasn't changed on ECAS. She wasn't very surprised. Well, I received an email yesterday about my application and I have my oath ceremony in 1 month. So there hasn't been any issue with moving abroad. I still got my citizenship and didn't have to fill the RQ.

So, as long as you do everything right and don't lie, there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks again for your help!
So you took your oath in Spain?

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
I largely agree with the observation posted by @smash1984 with some qualification: Failing to provide IRCC with a change of address, or providing a residential address other than where you actually reside, is misrepresentation.

Whether or not this will cause problems, and even if so to what extent, is NOT easily forecast. There are many no-problem reports.

While it is rare to see formal enforcement actions taken for misrepresentation in these situations, there are reports of various problems likely triggered by this (remember, IRCC generally does not inform applicants why it does things like issue RQ). The problems reported tend to be about non-routine processing, RQ-related processing, or lengthy delays in processing.

The observation by @harirajmohan, to the extent that it suggests advising IRCC of a change in residential address is discretionary, is not accurate. Applicants are required to timely notify IRCC of any change in information that is provided in the application.

Separate and apart from this, the applicant verifies (in the signature box on the application) she will notify IRCC of ANY CHANGE in the information provided in the application.

The applicant is obligated to notify IRCC of any change in residential address.

While fudging the address information is widespread and in effect gotten-away-with by many, the applicant is nonetheless obligated to TRUTHFULLY report the address where the applicant actually resides. Including after applying and while the application is in process.

Using someone else's address is misrepresentation. Whether it is a material misrepresentation depends on additional factors. Whether IRCC makes an issue of inconsistencies in address information varies considerably.

Similarly the failure to notify IRCC of a change in address. Misrepresentation by omission. Direct enforcement is infrequent but collateral consequences are not, ranging from delays in processing to issuing RQ.
Regarding mis-representation...the Act Part 7, Offences, section 29.2(2) reads,

"Every person commits an offence who knowingly
(a) for any of the purposes of this Act, directly or indirectly, makes any false representation, commits fraud or conceals any material circumstances;
(b) communicates directly or indirectly, by any means, false or misleading information or representations with the intent to induce a person to make, or
deter a person from making, an application to become a citizen, to obtain a certificate of citizenship or another document establishing citizenship or to renounce citizenship; or
(c) refuses to answer a question put to him or her at an interview or a proceeding held under this Act."

There has to be basis for applying misrepresentation. It maybe material circumstances or facts or relevant matter that result in or that induces or could induce an error in the administration of the Act

Some good reference..
D'Almeida v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2018 FC 870
Khalil v. Canada ( Secretary of State ), 9360 (FCA), [1999] 4 FC 661

My reading is by not maintaining Canada address, you risk getting the communication timely...as IRCC is only obliged to inform at the last updated Canadian address.

I am not legal expert...kindly see it as another opinion!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

"Every person commits an offence who knowingly
(a) for any of the purposes of this Act, directly or indirectly, makes any false representation, commits fraud or conceals any material circumstances;
(b) communicates directly or indirectly, by any means, false or misleading information or representations with the intent to induce a person to make, or
deter a person from making, an application to become a citizen, to obtain a certificate of citizenship or another document establishing citizenship or to renounce citizenship; or
(c) refuses to answer a question put to him or her at an interview or a proceeding held under this Act."

There has to be basis for applying misrepresentation. It maybe material circumstances or facts or relevant matter that result in or that induces or could induce an error in the administration of the Act

Some good reference..
D'Almeida v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2018 FC 870
Khalil v. Canada ( Secretary of State ), 9360 (FCA), [1999] 4 FC 661

My reading is by not maintaining Canada address, you risk getting the communication timely...as IRCC is only obliged to inform at the last updated Canadian address.

I am not legal expert...kindly see it as another opinion!
There is no doubt that giving an inaccurate residential address when applying for citizenship is a misrepresentation, and probably readily deemed a material misrepresentation (although whether or not it is material in the particular case could depend on additional circumstances). That is, this information is for sure relevant and most likely would be considered material, and thus if it is not truthful it is a misrepresentation. (Most of the address related cases I am familiar with deal with the applicant's address history; there is one case (Raslan 2010 FC 189) however, for example, where the applicant purportedly lived in Montreal but in applying used an address in Mississauga pursuant to a consultant's advice it would be processed much faster there and the FC upheld CIC's summary denial of his application for the misrepresentation.)

There is also no doubt about an applicant's duty or obligation to notify IRCC if there is a change in the information provided. And the applicant must verify this. The signature box states: "I agree to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath." This is followed by a verification the applicant "understands" the consequences if the applicant "conceals any material circumstances relevant to my application."

In the latter regard, it warrants noting that the Raslan decision put significant emphasis on the fact that the applicant's address at the time of applying was material because it determined which local office processes it. Thus, the FC rejected the argument that since Raslan was actually present in Canada as represented in the application, the erroneous address used to file the application in Canada did not affect his eligibility for citizenship.

There is no shortage of cases definitively declaring that a finding of misrepresentation may be based on an omission, on the failure of the applicant to give information the applicant is obligated to provide.

All of which adds up to the rather obvious: a failure to give IRCC accurate information about where one is living is a misrepresentation. This should not need to be said. It almost goes without saying that giving IRCC inaccurate information, or withholding information the applicant is obligated to provide, is misrepresentation. That part should be simple and straight forward.

THE REAL QUESTION has to do with consequences; the practical question is to what extent will IRCC give such misinformation much attention let alone take action based on it, let alone pursue the more severe sanctions.

Which is why I couched my previous comments with the following:

That is, the prospect of being prosecuted and potentially imprisoned pursuant to the statute you cite, Section 29.2(2) in the Citizenship Act, is indeed low if not remote.

So let's be clear: it is misrepresentation. The practical question is what is the likely impact. As I noted, this is NOT easy to forecast.

SUMMARY
(for which I will offer the longer explanation in a following post):

Make no mistake, giving IRCC untruthful information is a misrepresentation. Failing to give accurate information, even after applying, likewise constitutes a misrepresentation.

The impact of a misrepresentation may depend on whether it is deemed a "material" misrepresentation, with more severe consequences for serious, material misrepresentations. (To be elaborated on in next post.) At the other end of the spectrum, inaccurate information may be considered an inadvertent error, a minor mistake or oversight, or otherwise considered insignificant enough to not have much if any negative impact. In between, many inconsistencies, discrepancies, or omissions of fact, tend to mostly affect how IRCC decision-makers perceive the applicant's credibility, with predictable results (again, to be elaborated on in the next post).

Whether it is a material misrepresentation or not will depend on other factors. This can be, to a significant extent, a judgment call. Meaning it can go either way depending on the decision-maker's assessment.

How important is it to update changes to information, like the applicant's address? That is a more difficult question.

For those who want to avoid any perception of being an unreliable reporter of facts, they will promptly notify IRCC of any change in residential address. But obviously there are scores of situations in which a change of address is of little import and IRCC is not likely to jump on the failure to promptly update the information.

However, if asked about current address or such in the interview, obviously it is then much more important to be truthful. These days it appears this is not commonly asked. I was asked in mine, but that was many years ago now.

Overall, while the range of POSSIBLE consequences can vary from minimal or none to the most severe, which I outlined above. The most common RISK is that a decision-maker recognizes the discrepancy and has a more negative perception of the applicant's credibility because of it. RQ-related processing tends to be the most serious problem encountered.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
To better understand the range of potential impact for failing to properly notify IRCC of a change in the information provided in the application, including change of residential address, understanding the range of potential consequences should help. In particular, it should be helpful to more specifically enumerate the potential consequences, generally, for giving inaccurate information or failing to give information as obligated. Not all inaccuracies or omissions are created equal. The consequences can range rather widely, including:

-- inaccuracy or omission is not detected; historically it appears that fudging the address appears to be something many applicants do and get-away-with; to be clear, not getting caught does not mean it was not a misrepresentation​
-- little or no effect, treated as either an oversight, minor mistake, or insignificant omission​
-- noticed and considered, mostly in context and in conjunction with other elements of the application, as one factor among many which may or may not affect the decision-maker's perception of the applicant's credibility; this itself can have a varied impact, including --​
-- -- negative impact on credibility might be small, pursuant to which the decision-maker might exercise more caution in evaluating the information for which the applicant is the primary or only source​
-- -- negative impact on credibility could be substantial, pursuant to which the decision-maker approaches the applicant's information with skepticism, and thus conducts further inquiries or initiates an investigation . . . potentially triggering, for example, RQ-related non-routine processing​
-- -- negative impact on credibility could justify broadly disbelieving the applicant and thus result in findings which largely disregard any representations made by the applicant that are not otherwise verified by objective evidence; NOTE, this would require a finding the misrepresentation is material and the reasons therefore must be documented in the record, leading to . . .​
-- negative decision-making premised on the lack of credibility, which again requires specific findings and documentation​
-- summary denial of application; a serious material misrepresentation justifies the denial of the application even if the applicant otherwise meets all the requirements for a grant of citizenship (Raslan is one example of this)​
-- revocation of citizenship; a serious material representation can be grounds for revoking citizenship, no matter how long the individual is a citizen​
-- a knowing material misrepresentation can result in CRIMINAL prosecution​

You cite the definition of misrepresentation which is applicable ONLY to the last of these, the standard for convicting an individual for a criminal offence which can be punished by imprisonment. That is Section 29.2(2) in the Citizenship Act. This is probably the most uncommon consequence.

"Every person commits an offence who knowingly . . .
It warrants noting that even inaccuracies which are likely or otherwise appear to have been deliberate are OFTEN NOT subject to the severe end of the range of potential consequences. Even the more egregious instances, and particularly those which appear to be made pursuant to a deliberate scheme to deceive IRCC, most often ONLY result in negative decision making pursuant to which the applicant's representations are largely discounted or not believed unless there is objective evidence to establish those facts.

There are very few cases in which applications are denied specifically on the grounds of misrepresentation, and fewer still later result in revoking citizenship. There appear no more than a few criminal prosecutions for misrepresentation.

BEYOND that, the distinction between a simple or mere MISREPRESENTATION and a MATERIAL MISREPRESENTATION LOOMS LARGE:

It also makes a big difference if the misrepresentation is considered serious or not. But this is very difficult to pin down, even though some might say they know the difference between a serious misrepresentation and one that is not serious when they see it, even if they cannot articulate criteria or even a definition.

There are a lot of decisions which focus on whether an inaccuracy or omission constitutes a "material" misrepresentation. Many various approaches to this question are discussed in those decisions. This distinction separates cases in which a negative action can be taken based on a finding of misrepresentation (requiring a finding of material misrepresentation) versus those cases in which misrepresentation affects the decision-maker's perception of the applicant's credibility.

Cases with a significant focus on credibility outnumber those addressing material misrepresentations by at least a factor of ten to one, and probably much higher than that.

That is, unless the applicant is engaging in outright fraud, most of the time the biggest RISK there is in failing to give or update accurate information is mostly the potentially negative impact on a decision-maker's assessment of the applicant's credibility. And in the citizenship application context, one of the ways this commonly influences how things go is in whether or not the applicant is diverted into this or that non-routine processing, with full blown RQ looming as among the more, let's say, inconvenient outcomes.

Bottom-line, however, is failing to ACCURATELY give or keep IRCC apprised of the information in the application is misrepresentation. The consequences can range from no impact at all to the more severe penalties for misrepresentation, but are far more likely to be in the range of compromised credibility, which can influence things like whether the applicant is subject to RQ-related non-routine processing.

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
To better understand the range of potential impact for failing to properly notify IRCC of a change in the information provided in the application, including change of residential address, understanding the range of potential consequences should help. In particular, it should be helpful to more specifically enumerate the potential consequences, generally, for giving inaccurate information or failing to give information as obligated. Not all inaccuracies or omissions are created equal. The consequences can range rather widely, including:

-- inaccuracy or omission is not detected; historically it appears that fudging the address appears to be something many applicants do and get-away-with; to be clear, not getting caught does not mean it was not a misrepresentation​
-- little or no effect, treated as either an oversight, minor mistake, or insignificant omission​
-- noticed and considered, mostly in context and in conjunction with other elements of the application, as one factor among many which may or may not affect the decision-maker's perception of the applicant's credibility; this itself can have a varied impact, including --​
-- -- negative impact on credibility might be small, pursuant to which the decision-maker might exercise more caution in evaluating the information for which the applicant is the primary or only source​
-- -- negative impact on credibility could be substantial, pursuant to which the decision-maker approaches the applicant's information with skepticism, and thus conducts further inquiries or initiates an investigation . . . potentially triggering, for example, RQ-related non-routine processing​
-- -- negative impact on credibility could justify broadly disbelieving the applicant and thus result in findings which largely disregard any representations made by the applicant that are not otherwise verified by objective evidence; NOTE, this would require a finding the misrepresentation is material and the reasons therefore must be documented in the record, leading to . . .​
-- negative decision-making premised on the lack of credibility, which again requires specific findings and documentation​
-- summary denial of application; a serious material misrepresentation justifies the denial of the application even if the applicant otherwise meets all the requirements for a grant of citizenship (Raslan is one example of this)​
-- revocation of citizenship; a serious material representation can be grounds for revoking citizenship, no matter how long the individual is a citizen​
-- a knowing material misrepresentation can result in CRIMINAL prosecution​

You cite the definition of misrepresentation which is applicable ONLY to the last of these, the standard for convicting an individual for a criminal offence which can be punished by imprisonment. That is Section 29.2(2) in the Citizenship Act. This is probably the most uncommon consequence.

It warrants noting that even inaccuracies which are likely or otherwise appear to have been deliberate are OFTEN NOT subject to the severe end of the range of potential consequences. Even the more egregious instances, and particularly those which appear to be made pursuant to a deliberate scheme to deceive IRCC, most often ONLY result in negative decision making pursuant to which the applicant's representations are largely discounted or not believed unless there is objective evidence to establish those facts.

There are very few cases in which applications are denied specifically on the grounds of misrepresentation, and fewer still later result in revoking citizenship. There appear no more than a few criminal prosecutions for misrepresentation.

BEYOND that, the distinction between a simple or mere MISREPRESENTATION and a MATERIAL MISREPRESENTATION LOOMS LARGE:

It also makes a big difference if the misrepresentation is considered serious or not. But this is very difficult to pin down, even though some might say they know the difference between a serious misrepresentation and one that is not serious when they see it, even if they cannot articulate criteria or even a definition.

There are a lot of decisions which focus on whether an inaccuracy or omission constitutes a "material" misrepresentation. Many various approaches to this question are discussed in those decisions. This distinction separates cases in which a negative action can be taken based on a finding of misrepresentation (requiring a finding of material misrepresentation) versus those cases in which misrepresentation affects the decision-maker's perception of the applicant's credibility.

Cases with a significant focus on credibility outnumber those addressing material misrepresentations by at least a factor of ten to one, and probably much higher than that.

That is, unless the applicant is engaging in outright fraud, most of the time the biggest RISK there is in failing to give or update accurate information is mostly the potentially negative impact on a decision-maker's assessment of the applicant's credibility. And in the citizenship application context, one of the ways this commonly influences how things go is in whether or not the applicant is diverted into this or that non-routine processing, with full blown RQ looming as among the more, let's say, inconvenient outcomes.

Bottom-line, however, is failing to ACCURATELY give or keep IRCC apprised of the information in the application is misrepresentation. The consequences can range from no impact at all to the more severe penalties for misrepresentation, but are far more likely to be in the range of compromised credibility, which can influence things like whether the applicant is subject to RQ-related non-routine processing.
With due respects, my submission is, there is no question of misrepresentation, or material misrepresentation, if one informs thru the web form regarding ones overseas travel. One can continue to state that the Canadian address for communication is valid if that is ones preference. IRCC expectation is to be factual. Infact, many lawyers who represent the applicant maintain their address for communication!

(With respect to Raslan 2010 FC 189, again with due respects, I believe it has no relevance at all to the current point by can-on / harirajmohan. That case is a domicile misrepresentation, and was an attempt to influence or induce the outcome of the Citizenship application)

Last edited:

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Im also in the same situation due to personal emergency i had to travel back and not sure when i will return, my application was sent on May last week 2020, AOR also is pending, worried how to handle the situation.