+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving abroad after applying - where do you take the test?

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Hi everybody,

I applied for my Canadian citizenship not long ago after meeting by far the requirements.

Now I have to go back to my home country for a couple of years.

I've read all the FAQs on CIC's website and it says that I can move abroad after applying for citizenship, so I'm not too worried about that.

My question is: where do you take your test and oath ceremony? Is it going to be in the same city where you were living before leaving the country? I'm currently in Vancouver and moving to Europe, so Toronto will be a better city for me to do this things.

Thanks in advance!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The location will be based on your residency. In other word, Vancouver. You will run the risk of getting a RQ due to moving out of Canada during processing.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Also, make sure to keep your canadian address or at least have a postal address in Canada.
IRCC will probably send you the test and oath invitation by email, but if something else is needed (fingerprint request, RQ...), it will be sent by snail mail.

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Also, make sure to keep your canadian address or at least have a postal address in Canada.
IRCC will probably send you the test and oath invitation by email, but if something else is needed (fingerprint request, RQ...), it will be sent by snail mail.
I guess you are talking of changing my mailing address to a Canadian address (a friend's, for example) but changing my home address to wherever I live in Europe, right? Because if I say that I'm still living in Canada it'd be misrepresentation and my application rejected...

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
So, just in case somebody has been able to achieve this, there is no way of choosing a different place to take the test, right? :(

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
So, just in case somebody has been able to achieve this, there is no way of choosing a different place to take the test, right? :(
As far as I know, IRCC makes the decision in regards to where the test is. You have no say.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi everybody,
I've read all the FAQs on CIC's website and it says that I can move abroad after applying for citizenship, so I'm not too worried about that.
While I do not know of any explicit provision, rule, or policy that prohibits living abroad while a citizenship application is in process, NEITHER am I aware of any IRCC information which overtly states it is acceptable.

Without revisiting all the IRCC sources I am familiar with, it is clear IRCC acknowledges that applicants can and do travel abroad while the application is in process. Residing is not the same as traveling.

Please quote and link the IRCC information (CIC is the former name which changed to IRCC in 2015) which, you say, "says that [an applicant for citizenship] can move abroad after applying for citizenship."

I do not doubt you. But it would be helpful to see the precise language and, more significantly, the context. Questions about moving abroad after applying are rather common here. The conventional wisdom and usual observations focus on the numerous and OBVIOUS RISKS inherent in doing this, which frankly tend to be severe enough to weigh heavily in favour of delaying any move abroad until after actually taking the oath UNLESS, of course, there are compelling and unavoidable reasons which, in effect, necessitate GAMBLING, that is, taking the RISK.

In particular, being abroad for sure elevates the risk of not getting notice in time to attend a scheduled event, and while IRCC policy accommodates rescheduling some events at least once, like the test or interview, other than those policies, historically IRCC has NOT allowed being abroad as an acceptable excuse, especially in regards to missing a scheduled Oath ceremony. If, as you say, IRCC explicitly says it is OK to live abroad while the application is in process, that suggests a change or at least mitigation of previous policy which very significantly changes the RISK-CALCULATION for going abroad after applying (it is one thing to risk delays, and a totally different thing to risk being denied). So, this information has importance for many others as well as yourself. So, again, it would be appreciated if you can quote the precise language from the IRCC information and provide a link.

Beyond that, I have been waiting to see reports from applicants who have in fact done this, that is either applied from abroad or who moved abroad after applying.

This includes waiting for reports about how things have gone, generally, as well as about particular details in the process, such as how this affects where events are scheduled, including the test, interview, and the oath ceremony.

Given the change in presence requirements which took effect last October 11, a large number of Canadian PRs suddenly became eligible for citizenship as of that day, among whom a rather significant number had, in the meantime, taken employment abroad or otherwise moved abroad. Thus, many have asked questions related to applying for citizenship from abroad.

And, historically, through the various renditions of qualifying requirements for citizenship, there has been and continues to be a very substantial number of Canadian PRs who meet the qualifications for citizenship and who, for a wide variety of reasons, consider and actually do move abroad after applying but before being actually granted citizenship. And, as others have alluded, historically such applicants at the very least faced a much higher risk of RQ, including lengthy delays and often an overtly skeptical if not suspicious approach from CIC/IRCC. (For a short period of time moving abroad while the application was pending was a sufficient stand-alone reason for outright denying citizenship, due to an intent to CONTINUE residing in Canada requirement in effect from June 2015 until June 19, 2017.)

So far reliable reports are scarce. It is apparent many fudge their residential-address information to, in effect, conceal the fact they are actually living abroad. That obviously has some rather serious risks, and I suspect is successful far less often than many might apprehend . . . even though in the more distant past it probably was often successful.

Assuming that IRCC will, indeed, continue to process a citizenship application notwithstanding the applicant moving abroad (which I am far from sure is how it will work), I tend to agree with observations by others, above, that IRCC is likely to continue processing the citizenship application in the local office where the application has been referred based on the applicant's residential address prior to moving abroad.

BUT my impression is that the forum is waiting for some reliable reporting of actual experience for such applicants who have NOT fudged their address information. (And, indeed, since it is impossible to follow posts in every topic here, if there has been any such reporting already, I would appreciate a cite and link to it, please.)

Hi everybody,

I applied for my Canadian citizenship not long ago after meeting by far the requirements.

Now I have to go back to my home country for a couple of years.

My question is: where do you take your test and oath ceremony? Is it going to be in the same city where you were living before leaving the country? I'm currently in Vancouver and moving to Europe, so Toronto will be a better city for me to do this things.

Thanks in advance!

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Well, here it says that you can leave Canada and the only thing you need to do is keep your permanent resident status http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

I'm sure there are lots of cases where somebody needs to relocate because of their jobs. And that's the reason why I have to go back to my country. My company wants me to do some businesses there, which means that all I'll do is live there for some years while working legally for a Canadian company.

Well, we'll see in a couple of months what happens... I tried to apply for urgent processing but looks like it didn't go through.

I'll keep this post updated with any news in case in the future somebody is the same situation.

Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Well, here it says that you can leave Canada and the only thing you need to do is keep your permanent resident status http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

I'm sure there are lots of cases where somebody needs to relocate because of their jobs. And that's the reason why I have to go back to my country. My company wants me to do some businesses there, which means that all I'll do is live there for some years while working legally for a Canadian company.

Well, we'll see in a couple of months what happens... I tried to apply for urgent processing but looks like it didn't go through.

I'll keep this post updated with any news in case in the future somebody is the same situation.

Thanks.
There are for sure many others in at least a similar situation, recognizing (again) that numerous queries of this sort are regularly posed in this forum. So detailed reporting about how it goes should be helpful for others and will almost certainly be appreciated.

I will make a further much longer post addressing this issue more broadly.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
This post addresses this issue on a broader level and goes LONG; file this one under INFORMATION FOR AVOIDING PITFALLS (if possible):

One looming caveat is that how it goes for one person will only offer some insight into how it MIGHT go for others. Individual case specific factors can and often will loom large. Even during the Harper era rather draconian approach in which applicants PERCEIVED to have applied-on-the-way-to-the-airport typically encountered severe hurdles and suspicion, even then there were often huge discrepancies in how applicants were handled depending on the particular facts and appearances and CIC officer's impressions. There are bound to be very different outcomes for some who are living abroad compared to others, again depending on a range of variable factors specific to the individual.

For example, even during the Harper-era if it was readily apparent the applicant was abroad for a temporary purpose (common example: abroad for a graduate or residency program specifically a year or two years in duration), such applicants oft times sailed smoothly through the process, while others (especially those employed abroad) ran into stringent obstacles (including lengthy delays, which at the time appeared to be possibly deliberate, sometimes including delays in processing so long, YEARS, as to put the applicant's compliance with the PR Residency Obligation at risk).

While there is little reason to apprehend IRCC will resume the Harper era approach, driven by an excessive dread of granting citizenship to those suspected, as they labelled it, of seeking-a-passport-of-convenience, at least not until after the next Federal election, there is no reason, either, to believe IRCC will not approach such applicants (that is, those who APPEAR to have applied-on-the-way-to-the-airport, or who APPEAR to be seeking-a-passport-of-convenience) with at least a significant element of doubt or even suspicion, substantially elevating the risk of non-routine processing, lengthy delays, and potentially seriously skeptical decision-making.

In this regard it warrants emphasizing how large appearances and impressions loom. Historically we have seen scores of anecdotal reports from applicants who returned to Canada just in time to take the test, and had stamps in their passport rather clearly indicating they were indeed just returning from abroad, and the interviewer never blinked let alone asked about those stamps or about travel or location after applying, followed by soon taking the oath. That is, NO PROBLEM. On the other hand, in contrast, historically we have seen scores of anecdotal reports, and more than a few actual cases in officially published decisions, where things went very much in the opposite direction. As in, PROBLEMS, sometimes big problems.

Thus, unless the reasons for going abroad to work and live are indeed compelling, it is prudent to conscientiously consider alternatives that would at least postpone doing so.

There are many, many other topics here in which this subject is addressed in depth. Again, it is indeed a common scenario. It is indeed, for many, a common dilemma.

In any event, this brings the discussion to IRCC's response to the FAQ: Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?

Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:

The language employed is NO surprise. There is NO statute or regulation which makes going abroad a disqualification, even going abroad to live. Thus, IRCC cannot definitively deny or reject applicants on the grounds they are living abroad while the application is pending. IRCC's information must be consistent with the law. And this information is.

There is some hint, rather muted hints, of the risks as to preserving PR status, and as to appearing for scheduled events or responding to communications from IRCC otherwise. These are understated.

This information is reminiscent of the way CIC cautioned prospective applicants about the residency requirement prior to changes making it an actual physical presence requirement. For many, many years prior to June 2015, CIC's response to a FAQ about applying for citizenship with less than 1095 days actual presence was framed rather similar to this FAQ about leaving Canada after applying. Yes. With a rather muted, understated caveat about how only a Citizenship Judge could determine if the residency requirement was met. At the time ALL citizenship applications had to be decided by a CJ. What the FAQ response did not reveal was (1) the huge difference in how long the process would take, and (2) CIC's policy to approach all residency-based (in contrast to physical presence based) applicants skeptically, leaning toward rejecting any applicant who was short of meeting the physical presence test.

There too the FAQ answer was simply accurate according to the law and grossly belied the pitfalls. By a huge, huge margin. A more practical FAQ answer would have emphasized the importance of WAITING to apply only after meeting the physical presence test unless compelling, unavoidable circumstances dictated otherwise.

This in turn leads us back to risks related to timely responding to IRCC communications, including responding to requests as well as appearing for scheduled events. It is rather amazing how much so many take for granted they will receive communications in time and will be able to timely respond accordingly, among whom so many find their application going off-the-rails when STUFF HAPPENS and they have failed to timely respond or appear. While IRCC notices for test or interview events, or the oath ceremony, appear to have gotten more reasonable (mere two or three weeks notice, sometimes a bit less, was common in the past) in last year or two, even now just four to eight weeks appears to be common. And it can be less. And for those living abroad even five or so weeks notice can and will catch more than a few off guard, especially if there is any delay in actually receiving the notice, making it difficult to appear as scheduled.

How things go when there are scheduling issues can vary widely. The key risk to consider is that navigating scheduling problems when abroad tends to get more complicated and is prone to compounding problems. For example, generally an applicant cannot telephone the call centre from abroad, which can make it more complicated and difficult to sort out an issue.

In any case, many applicants are confident, very sure, they will timely respond to any IRCC requests and appropriately appear for all scheduled events. And then they don't.

Which further brings the discussion to how uninformative IRCC information tends to be these days. There are, for example, numerous references to situations in which an applicant needs to give an "explanation," or provide an "acceptable reason," such as submitting a statement to IRCC containing an "acceptable reason" for missing a test or the oath ceremony.

Not all that long ago CIC or IRCC provided more specific information about what constitutes an "acceptable reason," including examples. And that information explicitly stated being abroad was NOT an acceptable reason. This information may still be available, but it has gotten more difficult to find some IRCC information, including PDIs (see remarks I posted recently in a discussion about interviews).

So we do not know IRCC's current policy in regards to missing an appointment, or inability to timely respond to requests, due to logistical difficulties related to being abroad.

Part of why is undoubtedly rooted in things like equitable variables, regarding which it warrants repeating that appearances and impressions can loom large. IRCC probably looks at being abroad temporarily attendant a compelling situation (parent's serious illness or death) more sympathetically than an applicant abroad who appears to have applied-on-the-way-to-the-airport or otherwise who appears to be seeking-a-passport-of-convenience. That is, IRCC probably reserves a great deal of discretion depending on not just the merits but equitable factors as well.

One thing which more than a few have stumbled over is overly-relying on meeting the technicalities, failing to recognize that technicalities can and often do cut both ways, and if IRCC gets the impression an applicant does not deserve citizenship, IRCC too can look to and leverage the technicalities . . . the applicant is still OK UNLESS, for example, there is crack in the case, such as a potential a gap in evidence to prove presence (such as IRCC seeing cause to NOT give the applicant the benefit of an inference of presence between known date of entry and next reported date of exit), or a failure to appear for which the reason is deemed not acceptable, and so on.

Overall, it may be less risky to be abroad these days than it has been in the past (it was extremely risky during the Harper era, in addition to and apart from that brief period when living abroad would constitute a stand-alone reason to deny the application), but anyone who has alternative options would be prudent to seriously consider avoiding or delaying moving abroad while the application is in process.

Sep 19, 2018
If you are eligible for citizenship, you may apply and then leave Canada. There is no residency requirement while your application is in process. As long as you are a lawful permanent resident of Canada and fulfill the residency requirements, you can apply and leave.

If you make mistakes in the CIT application, or do not declare absences from Canada, then you might be asked to complete a Residency Questionnaire. Simply leaving Canada after applying for citizenship will not result in you being sent an RQ.

You will be asked to appear for any CIT events (test, interview, ceremony) at the IRCC local office closest to the postal code you wrote on your CIT application. What's more, you will have to appear in person at that local office where your file is being processed.

After you receive the Acknowledgement of Receipt from IRCC, you may request that your file be transferred to a different local office (i.e. from Vancouver to Toronto) by sending a letter explaining to IRCC why you would like this transfer to happen, and substantive proof of your request (i.e. travel itineraries, copy of work contract from Europe [in English or French]).

Reasonable requests are usually accommodated. I recommend using the WebForm to communicate anything to IRCC regarding your CIT application.

Best of luck.

miglop2014

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Hi everybody,

Just a quick update to let you know that I sent the address request change on October 2018, on March 2019 I took the test and told the officer that I requested the change of the address to Spain but that it wasn't changed on ECAS. She wasn't very surprised. Well, I received an email yesterday about my application and I have my oath ceremony in 1 month. So there hasn't been any issue with moving abroad. I still got my citizenship and didn't have to fill the RQ.

So, as long as you do everything right and don't lie, there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks again for your help!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi everybody,

Just a quick update to let you know that I sent the address request change on October 2018, on March 2019 I took the test and told the officer that I requested the change of the address to Spain but that it wasn't changed on ECAS. She wasn't very surprised. Well, I received an email yesterday about my application and I have my oath ceremony in 1 month. So there hasn't been any issue with moving abroad. I still got my citizenship and didn't have to fill the RQ.

So, as long as you do everything right and don't lie, there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks again for your help!
I personally know 2 people from work who applied around the end of 2017 (after C-6) and moved out of Canada, one moved just a couple of months after submission, the other one moved after over a year. Both got their test and oath invite while living outside of Canada, and both have become citizens without any RQ