+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Montreal Visa Office ... Let's connect here.

Mar 12, 2020
You are still within the standard processing time, so not much to worry right now. However, if I were you I would request GCMS notes to learn if there's any review required in your process just so you can act proactively if needed.
I did apply for the notes but they have not sent it to you and cic has requested for a 90 days extension. So still waiting for them to send it.

mfsbf_87

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
I did apply for the notes but they have not sent it to you and cic has requested for a 90 days extension. So still waiting for them to send it.
From my experience, I'd suggest you to re-apply for the notes and you might receive the second application first. That's what happened to me. I requested notes in early December and received in early Jan the 90 day extension email. Then on the next day I decided to apply again and received the notes for this second application on early Feb. In early April, I've received the first notes I've requested in December... I don't know if it's common but it's worth the try.

Reactions: Littledreamer0105
Mar 12, 2020
From my experience, I'd suggest you to re-apply for the notes and you might receive the second application first. That's what happened to me. I requested notes in early December and received in early Jan the 90 day extension email. Then on the next day I decided to apply again and received the notes for this second application on early Feb. In early April, I've received the first notes I've requested in December... I don't know if it's common but it's worth the try.
I applied through GCMSBuddy, where did you apply ?

Mar 12, 2020

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Reapplying does not speed up the process of getting the CAIPS / GCMS file; it just over burdens the IRCC department and in turn hurts everyone involved by creating backlogs. 60 day extensions are more common than 90 day but it depends on IRCC's workload as much as it depends on the complexity of an individuals GCMS file. There is some perception in the community that such extensions by IRCC are vexatious and that matter is being investigated by OIC.

mfsbf_87

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
I've never said that reapplying speeds up the process of receiving the GCMS notes. What I said is that whenever you apply for GCMS it's a NEW process and sometimes you can receive the notes from the second application before than the first one. In my case, I had learned from a call with CIC that I was on RR for Eligibility and needed to know ASAP the reason so I could act on it and I don't regret for a second having asked a new set of notes prior to receiving the first one. I do understand what you say in terms of burdening the system but on the other hand they are not doing us any favor - it's a right. Also, it's on them to improve and streamline their system, as my case it one of the many examples that expose a flaw in it: I've received my second request prior to the first and they looked exact the same.

Reactions: dayocanny

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Absolutely agree that's it's your right to obtain the caips / gcms notes and also agree that IRCC needs to improve their processes. gcms notes are handled by the ATIP division within IRCC and for stats at last check in the last year they have received over 80,000 requests and in comparison the next department with the most requests is CBSA with barely 8000 requests. with limited funding from the government you can see why at times gcms notes take longer but even then there is a huge opportunity to streamline like you said.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
I've never said that reapplying speeds up the process of receiving the GCMS notes. What I said is that whenever you apply for GCMS it's a NEW process and sometimes you can receive the notes from the second application before than the first one. In my case, I had learned from a call with CIC that I was on RR for Eligibility and needed to know ASAP the reason so I could act on it and I don't regret for a second having asked a new set of notes prior to receiving the first one. I do understand what you say in terms of burdening the system but on the other hand they are not doing us any favor - it's a right. Also, it's on them to improve and streamline their system, as my case it one of the many examples that expose a flaw in it: I've received my second request prior to the first and they looked exact the same.
Your reply was very timely in terms of having IRCC modernize it's processes to alleviate the problem of gcms delays. the information commissioner released a letter yesterday at https://link.gcmsnotes.com/phase-access-6adba the crux of the letter states "The current crisis has indeed brought new challenges, but I also believe it has created a window of opportunity for bringing about much-needed changes to the operating model of government and the culture that underlies it. "

The above and the anticipated changes from bill C-58 ( https://link.gcmsnotes.com/access-information-de3c4 ) hopefully will improve things

ahmed_hegazy

Nov 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
August 31st 2019
Absolutely agree that's it's your right to obtain the caips / gcms notes and also agree that IRCC needs to improve their processes. gcms notes are handled by the ATIP division within IRCC and for stats at last check in the last year they have received over 80,000 requests and in comparison the next department with the most requests is CBSA with barely 8000 requests. with limited funding from the government you can see why at times gcms notes take longer but even then there is a huge opportunity to streamline like you said.
To be honest, CIC is the one that creates the need for all those applicants to make requests under the Privacy Act or the Access to Information Act. My opinion is if CIC does not want 80K requests a year, they should have a transparent process where progress is communicated in a timely manner with every stage of the application. It is kinda baffling that people need to go as far as using their rights under the Privacy Act for a simple PR application because the Act is not really designed for this particular situation, I believe. Just my two cents :)

Reactions: Joyz

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Echo your comments about transparency; change is in the air and in the coming months we will see what the information commissioner recommends. we were asked to help with the investigation and spoke with their office a few weeks back and one of the considerations is to have IRCC proactively disclose more information in order to eliminate/reduce the deluge of requests IRCC gets

Reactions: ahmed_hegazy

mfsbf_87

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Your reply was very timely in terms of having IRCC modernize it's processes to alleviate the problem of gcms delays. the information commissioner released a letter yesterday at https://link.gcmsnotes.com/phase-access-6adba the crux of the letter states "The current crisis has indeed brought new challenges, but I also believe it has created a window of opportunity for bringing about much-needed changes to the operating model of government and the culture that underlies it. "

The above and the anticipated changes from bill C-58 ( https://link.gcmsnotes.com/access-information-de3c4 ) hopefully will improve things
That's really good to read. I do believe that a positive outcome of this situation will be the modernization and overall improvement of many government processes.

Anks86

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Boston, U.S.A
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2019
AOR Received.
03-09-2019
Med's Done....
16-09-2019
Got this response on the webform request I raised 2 weeks ago-
  • The eligibility verification is currently valid.
  • The security background verification is currently valid.
  • The criminal background verification is currently valid.
I called IRCC today and the agent told me that my file is under final review. And that the last time an officer looked at it to start that review was 2 weeks ago. What does the 'final review' mean? Any idea on how long does that takes?

wdvrdx111

Star Member
Oct 1, 2019
Hey folks,
I learned from my latest GCMS note that my file was transferred from the Ottowa visa office to the Montreal visa office. My stream is FSW-O and Aug 29, 19 AoR.
I just got off the phone call with IRCC agent and was informed that my eligibility was finally passed (been under review for several months). Now security background verification is the only thing yet to start. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Reactions: user28

user28

Jul 3, 2019
Most probably RR is for employment documents. In Montreal if documents deviate even slightly from what is prescribed by IRCC they will put it in RR. That is also one reason Montreal is slow. Good thing you have ordered GCMS notes. We can get more information from GCMS notes.
Thank you @cansha.. Generally how many months does it take to clear RR in Montreal?