+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor study permit parents with study/work permit outside Canada

TateeF

Jun 10, 2019
My husband is applying for an study permit, I’m applying for an open work permit and our children 12 and 4... we are filling the study permit forms but some questions doesn’t Apply to them and we can’t continue... help please. Does anybody has the same issue

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
My husband is applying for an study permit, I’m applying for an open work permit and our children 12 and 4... we are filling the study permit forms but some questions doesn’t Apply to them and we can’t continue... help please. Does anybody has the same issue
in most provinces your dependent children do not require study permits. jus state on you application that you intend to take them with you. so they will only require a TRV. Once you get to the boarde you will receive a permit that allows them to remain in Canada for the duration of your permits

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
in most provinces your dependent children do not require study permits. jus state on you application that you intend to take them with you. so they will only require a TRV. Once you get to the boarde you will receive a permit that allows them to remain in Canada for the duration of your permits
Hi Tracy, I am from Guyana and wanted to ask a question regarding taking my daughter 6 years with me ... She already had a valid TRV, so on my student permit I stated that she will not accompany me because I did not want to let it be a case of rejection.How did you go about your application when you mentioned about your kids? Thanks

Last edited:

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi Tracy, I am from Guyana and wanted to ask a question regarding taking my daughter 6 years with me ... She already had a valid TRV, so on my student permit I stated that she will not accompany me because of additional funding to show... How did you go about your application when you mentioned about your kids? Thanks
I indicated that I wanted to take my daughter with me and had to show the extra funds. She was given a TRV when we got to the boarder they gave her a permit to remain for the duration of my study. Im not sure why the procedures would be if she already has a TRV. I have friends who did not mention their child on their application and brought the child along with them and was given the same permit to remain however those children were US citizen so I don't know if that made a difference. But I would think that if the child is already able to enter then It wouldn't be a problem especially since alot of schools don't require a study permit and if your really need one for the child you could apply for it at the boarder later.

Reactions: gychemist

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
I indicated that I wanted to take my daughter with me and had to show the extra funds. She was given a TRV when we got to the boarder they gave her a permit to remain for the duration of my study. Im not sure why the procedures would be if she already has a TRV. I have friends who did not mention their child on their application and brought the child along with them and was given the same permit to remain however those children were US citizen so I don't know if that made a difference. But I would think that if the child is already able to enter then It wouldn't be a problem especially since alot of schools don't require a study permit and if your really need one for the child you could apply for it at the boarder later.
Hi Tracy, Thanks for the clarification. I have seen your other threads. And noticed you traveled already... I submitted my medical waiting for an answer this week hopefully. You already register your kids for school ... how was the process ? I am heading to New Newfoundland.. you are in Moncton New Brunswick if I am correct.

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi Tracy, Thanks for the clarification. I have seen your other threads. And noticed you traveled already... I submitted my medical waiting for an answer this week hopefully. You already register your kids for school ... how was the process ? I am heading to New Newfoundland.. you are in Moncton New Brunswick if I am correct.
Ok, good luck with the application. regYes,haven't I am in NB. I haven't registered her yet. In order to do that she needs to have insurance so I've applied for our NB Medicare so I'm awaiting that approval. If that doesn't work out then I'm gonna wait until I'm registered for school and add her to my insurance plan.

Reactions: gychemist

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Ok, good luck with the application. regYes,haven't I am in NB. I haven't registered her yet. In order to do that she needs to have insurance so I've applied for our NB Medicare so I'm awaiting that approval. If that doesn't work out then I'm gonna wait until I'm registered for school and add her to my insurance plan.
Hi TracyAT, Hope you are settled by now. I wanted to ask if you started registering your kids for school, if so what documents they usually ask for. I wanted to start collecting the necessary documents from here before I travel. Thanks.

TracyAT

Star Member
Jan 2, 2019
Hi TracyAT, Hope you are settled by now. I wanted to ask if you started registering your kids for school, if so what documents they usually ask for. I wanted to start collecting the necessary documents from here before I travel. Thanks.
I am almost settled at this point and getting to know the area. I however have still not completed the registration process as to do so I require insurance, so I have applied NB Medicare and am awaiting approval. Nonetheless, in addition to insurance you will require
Birth certificate
Immunization record
Past school record
Child's status (child's passport and the letter you will receive from immigration)
Your passport and permit
Custodian authorization if only one parent is present at the time of registration.
Proof of address.

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
I am almost settled at this point and getting to know the area. I however have still not completed the registration process as to do so I require insurance, so I have applied NB Medicare and am awaiting approval. Nonetheless, in addition to insurance you will require
Birth certificate
Immunization record
Past school record
Child's status (child's passport and the letter you will receive from immigration)
Your passport and permit
Custodian authorization if only one parent is present at the time of registration.
Proof of address.

Thanks so much very useful. Best wishes