+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor Child (Dependent) sponsorship

albak

Star Member
Sep 5, 2017
Hello,

My husband and I are PRs (acquired through Express Entry) are planning to relocate as a family to Canada in the coming weeks to maintain our residency obligations. My minor child is a US citizen who was born after we received our PRs. He was born outside of Canada (in the US). I understand that we can apply for his PR only after moving to Canada but saw that the processing time for family sponsorship is 17 months. Is this really the case even when the minor dependent child is the only applicant?

If yes, then my child is only allowed short visits of upto 6 months without a visa as a US citizen. What other options exist for him to stay with us until his application is processed? would an eTA suffice? Should he get a TRV/TRP? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: Kiva667

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

My husband and I are PRs (acquired through Express Entry) are planning to relocate as a family to Canada in the coming weeks to maintain our residency obligations. My minor child is a US citizen who was born after we received our PRs. He was born outside of Canada (in the US). I understand that we can apply for his PR only after moving to Canada but saw that the processing time for family sponsorship is 17 months. Is this really the case even when the minor dependent child is the only applicant?

If yes, then my child is only allowed short visits of upto 6 months without a visa as a US citizen. What other options exist for him to stay with us until his application is processed? would an eTA suffice? Should he get a TRV/TRP? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
First, ignore the timeline dates/processing estimates. Look at the dependent children threads to see, but they're only an estimate.

Your child can enter as a US citizen and then simply request a visa extension every six months.

Pay attention to insurance and health care, depends on province, but you do want to have your child covered somehow.

namzy4u

Oct 28, 2022
Hello,

Hi can you let me know what did you provide as a proof of entry/visitor record into Canada for PR sponsorship application?

san777das

Sep 30, 2022
Were you able to sponsor your US born child? I am in the same situation and need help filling out the forms?