Passport Req..
16-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
May hopefully!
Kazza said:
Hi guys,
I went to the embassy last week to check the status of my application and they confirmed that the last thing they were working on was permanent residence applications. They were working on authorizing visas for people traveling to Canada this weekend. I had gone to the embassy before and this time there were way more people at the waiting room.The lady was super kind, she answered all my questions. I have mixed feelings about this situation as i am obviously affected by it, however I think it is not acceptable that the diplomatic staff of any country is underpaid, especially considering the volume of applications, information and decisions these immigration officers have to deal with. I wonder if a written letter to the government of Canada from all of us who are affected by the strike might put some kind of pressure?
And perhaps a solidarity march on Canada's labour day (the first Monday of September).

CdnMxHusb

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spunkyspunky said:
this may not offer too much help (and i can't say i've been a regular contributor to this board because i think many of my issues were not as relevant as the ones being raised here) but last friday (as in two days ago) i received a letter from Immigration Canada requesting my prescence to (i quote):

"appear for an interview and to receive your Confirmation of Permanent Residence Document"

which i believe is, finally, the end of my process :)

super quick background and timeline:

- i'm in a same-sex (two guys, both of us Mexicans), 9-year relationship, living in Vancouver. my partner became a permanent resident as an investor in 2010 but i had to be removed from the process right at the very end because we didn't qualify for common-law status (i was on a student permit in Canada and he was a tourist so we had not lived under the same roof for 1 year, as specified by CIC). so we had to wait a year and apply again, this time only me.

- this was an in-Canada application. documents were sent to Vergeville, Alberta, on Nov, 2011. Dec 2011 i received my AOR

- only relevant thing that happened in 2012 (April) was that my file was transfered to the Vancouver backlog office.

- february 26th, 2013: the dreaded INTERVIEW

- march 20th, 2013: positive result from the interview, more waiting.

- may 22nd: letter requesting my med's and police certificate from mexico

- june 10th: both medicals were re-done and the SSP police certificate with a certified translation were sent. the documents to request the PGR's datos registrales were fedex'd to the Embassy in Mexico

- june 20th: my lawyer informs me the strike is going from bad to worse. if there's any chance to get the PGR police certificate before my deadline, i should do it ASAP.

- july 5th: PGR police certificate was translated and sent to them (ONE day before the deadline

- july 24th: letter requesting an interview to give me my Confirmation of Permanent Residence is received.

now, things i learnt which i hope i would've known sooner or that i hope someone would've told me. i'd say that the majority of this stuff will only make sense to those people doing in-Canada applications, but who knows, maybe somene will find this useful.

- their online system to check the status of your application is a piece of ! @ #$#!. up until right now, mine *still* says: Application Received and nothing more.

- easiest time to get someone to answer at the call centre are tues/weds REALLY EARLY in the morning

- to the best of my understanding, they're still asking for TWO (yes, TWO) police certificates: the local one from SSP (Secretaria de Seguridad Publica) and the federal one (Antecedentes de Datos Registrales) from the PGR. honestly, i was surprised of how EASY they are both to get. i needed to send my mom to get them for me. she said she got the SSP one in like 20 minutes the same day she went and the PGR one, although officially it takes 10 business days, was ready in 6. (she just kept calling asking for it until they told her it was in).

- AVOID.THE.EMBASSY. even when there is no strike going on, they still take their sweet time in processing things. the average time for the PGR certificate is over a month if you do it through them and just a few business days (as i mentioned) if you get it yourself.

- don't hesitate to contact your local Mexican Consulate/Embassy if you need help. i have to say i was happily surprised by how informed, efficient and helpful were the ladies at the Mexican Consulate here in Vancouver. i really owe them lots.

- for certified translations i used MOSAIC here in Vancouver, but i think they've got offices all around the country. i also owe them my life. i was really close on my deadline to submit the original and translation of the PGR, i explained the situation to the lady there and she had the friggin' translation done in like 2 hours!

- if you have to go through the dreaded INTERVIEW (god knows i was super nervous):

A.- please take the time to review your personal history with your partner. there are things (s)he may remember that you don't and vice-versa which the immigration officer may ask. the devil's in the details. example: my partner and i met online. my interviewer asked specifically on which webpage we both had met.

B.- if you're not legally married (like we both are) there is one thing the interviewer kept on asking: MONEY, MONEY MONEY. shared bank accounts? property? insurance? credit cards? show EVERYTHING, the more you show they better they feel.

C.- although the immigration officer who interviews you may decline, it is possible for your legal representative to be present. my lawyer requested that because he said if my application was denied, we'd sue

D.- speaking about suing, even though it is true that for inland applications and there are no appeals, what they don't tell you is that you can still SUE CIC in a federal court if you feel your application was wrongfully denied.

E.- after asking a couple of people and combining it with my own experience, there seems to be this very peculiar question (or a variant of it) that they ask often: "if i deny this application, what would you do?" it is no surprise your answer should be something along the lines of "fight it, and if fightining doesn't work, then we'll go somewhere else TOGETHER" <-- emphasis on STAYING TOGETHER ALWAYS. apparently, they're trying to catch if the person who has status in Canada would be willing to simply forget about his/her spouse if the process doesn't go through.

F.- just for gags know where EVERTHING is in the house. our interviewer tried to ask this trick question to my partner of what colour the shower curtain was... but we don't have shower curtains! we have crystal doors! and she tried to imply i had indeed mentioned a certain colour to throw him off! (which of course didn't work 'cuz he knew i wouldn't be that dumb to not remember we don't have shower curtains)

G.- know how the finances of the household are run. how much to you spend per month? how much for rent? mortgage? this was a life-saver because although i manage all the household stuff, i didn't know much about our mortgage and bank accounts and vice-versa, so both my partner and i needed to 'compare notes' so to speak to make sure we knew exactly how the house is ran.

in any case, those are my 2cents here. maybe they help, maybe the don't. but to be honest, i've been such a lurker of this board, reading, learning and staying updated that i figured this was the least i could do.

if anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to drop me a line. even if it doesn't relate to this process but maybe my partner's one as an investor which was a whole other adventure on which i learnt A LOT about accounting and business practices in Canada and Mexico... :)

oh! and all same-sex folks out there! marriage fraud for same-sex couples is also on the rise, so make sure you're good at keeping paperwork of everything documenting your relationship with your significant other because CIC peeps are starting to get suspicious about our relationships as well :-(
I think that you gave out some great information! Thank you so much for all the details!. I am one on the waiting list hoping to get my wife up here after a 2 year separation (over 18 years of marriage and 3 children). Now, the total strike. It is so devastating. I dont know what will happen. I am soooooo down. :(

spunkyspunky

May 3, 2013
CdnMxHusb said:
I think that you gave out some great information! Thank you so much for all the details!. I am one on the waiting list hoping to get my wife up here after a 2 year separation (over 18 years of marriage and 3 children). Now, the total strike. It is so devastating. I dont know what will happen. I am soooooo down. :(
thank you! glad you found something useful. i know this board was a lifeline for my immigration questions. i think if people take the time to read and search through the threads, they'll be able to find invaluable information. for my interview i was able to compile a list of over 200 "potential question" the interviewer could ask just by gathering the small pockets of questions people remembered from their interviews and were willing to share here, in these online forums. they were great practice for when the time came.

when i was kicked-out of the immigration process my partner and i started together i was also very disheartened at first :( but figured out the best way to work around this would be to FIGHT BACK and keep on fighting until it was done.

this may or may not be a good piece of advice but... have you and your wife considered maybe having her come over as a student? i was removed from the process close to the time i was about to finish my Bachelor's degree (i was on a student permit here in Canada). this prompted me to apply for graduateschool because i figured that would allow me to keep my legal status in Canada while waiting for the process to be completed, which i did. so i never left my partner's side, we just continued our relationship with him as the PR/sponsor and i as an international student. it makes a huge difference when you get to be close to your loved ones while waiting for this whole thing to end.

i remember someone once said "buraucracy is just like any other business". there's always an angle, some way to negotiate your way through things... just don't lose hope! :)

Frida19

Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2013
Doc's Request.
05-05-2013
AOR Received.
05-05-2013
File Transfer...
28-03-2013
Med's Request
ARC REQUEST 21-02-14 ARC SEND 26-02-14
Med's Done....
14-12-2012
Interview........
19-02-2014APPROVED
Passport Req..
26 -03-2014 PASSPORT SEND 26-03-14
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-14
LANDED..........
28-04-14
This is awful , I hope they end this Soon ... i just cant understand how can they do this to us :'(

Frida19

Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2013
Doc's Request.
05-05-2013
AOR Received.
05-05-2013
File Transfer...
28-03-2013
Med's Request
Med's Done....
14-12-2012
Interview........
19-02-2014APPROVED
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-14
LANDED..........
28-04-14
I Mena why are they doing this NOW , didnt the get paid the same amount of money before too ? Wth do they want ! This is very upseting </3 :'( :'(

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
Hey! someone just posted this thread
CBC wants to hear from people effected by the strike.

check it out and email your story to this lady, This could put a lot of pressure on the government to secure a deal and end the strike

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/for-those-affected-by-the-strike-a-cbc-reporter-wants-to-hear-from-us-t158151.0.html

costacro

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
The PAFSO website has an update today on their website!
http://www.pafso.com/news_releases.php?newsID=160

But what frustrates me is that they seem to only mention tourist study and work permits. Not family sponsorship.

spunkyspunky

May 3, 2013
costacro said:
But what frustrates me is that they seem to only mention tourist study and work permits. Not family sponsorship.
This is also consistent with an email I received on Monday from the university. I quote:

“… although students are encouraged to apply (for visas) as early as possible, the Government of Canada has allocated the necessary resources now to ensure that all students will receive their permits and temporary resident visas on time for the 2013 Winter semester”.

Which makes me believe that the extra staff that is being trained right now will be dedicated to handle the backlog of student permits, work permits and tourist visas, in response to the pressure of big businesses.

Too bad family reunification doesn’t generate revenue for the gov’t. If it did, I bet they would have solved this strike in a week or so :(

marianasanroman

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2013
spunkyspunky said:
This is also consistent with an email I received on Monday from the university. I quote:

“... although students are encouraged to apply (for visas) as early as possible, the Government of Canada has allocated the necessary resources now to ensure that all students will receive their permits and temporary resident visas on time for the 2013 Winter semester”.

Which makes me believe that the extra staff that is being trained right now will be dedicated to handle the backlog of student permits, work permits and tourist visas, in response to the pressure of big businesses.

Too bad family reunification doesn't generate revenue for the gov't. If it did, I bet they would have solved this strike in a week or so :(
Don't worry, i think we're all in the same boat here. I haven't heard of a single person getting their work permit approved and im starting to think only student/tourist visas are being issued... after all, students and tourist generate revenue for the govt while workers dont. :( we'll just have to wait until this strike is over.

smontenegro

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
Doc's Request.
25-05-2013
AOR Received.
12-08-2012 from Miss. 25-10-2012 from Mexico
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
07-08-2013
Just curious to know if anyone who lives in Mexico has tried calling the Visa office just to see what's going? It would be nice to know from them if they are processing family applications as well??

nanediniz

Aug 2, 2012
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo-Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
never
File Transfer...
12-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
Flight booked to Oct 26th
edgarsitow said:
I am baffled and frankly a bit offended when people keep mentioning this old stereotype that Mexico City is unsafe. It's NOT. Unless you're planning to get weed and coke from a dealer in Tepito and then wander around Iztapalapa or Ecatepec, you'll be fine.

Murder rate for some global cities per 100,000 inhabitants.

New York 6.0
Los Angeles 7.5
Mexico City 8.0
Moscow 9.6
Sao Paulo 15.6
Chicago 19.4

So, unless you guys tremble in fear when visiting L.A. or New York, you'll do just fine in Mexico City. Just beware of ever stepping foot in Chicago, you might get shot as soon as you leave the airport!

Sorry for the rant, but don't listen to everything that people say. Mexicans are particularly guilty of spreading this stereotype about Mexico City, yes, your hubbies included.
If you wanna know how scary our numbers are here in Brazil (includes Sao Paulo), check this out:

"170 000 people have died in the 12 major conflicts around the world all together in countries like Iraq, Sudan, Afghanistan, Colombia, Republic of Congo, Sri Lanka, India, Somalia, Nepal, Kashmir, Pakistan and Israel.
In Brazil, during the last 4 years, we had 206 000 victims of homicide (not added up accidental deaths or deaths by sickness)"
This numbers I got from a newspaper.
The detail is that we are not in war or any kind of conflict, it's pure simple violence. (We also don't suffer with earthquakes, hurricanes or anything like that).
You can read more about it here using Google Chrome for translation:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/portuguese/noticias/2011/12/111214_mapaviolencia_pai.shtml
http://www.brasildefato.com.br/node/12564
It's a shame... :-[

costacro

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Hi guys so i just called the embassy in mexico. And the receptionist informed me that there are a whopping 2 people working in the immigration section and they are trying to process applications. I dont know wether to cry or laugh can you imagine what the timeline will be for finalizing applications. This is ridicoulus!

Frida19

Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2013
Doc's Request.
05-05-2013
AOR Received.
05-05-2013
File Transfer...
28-03-2013
Med's Request
Med's Done....
14-12-2012
Interview........
19-02-2014APPROVED
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-14
LANDED..........
28-04-14
costacro said:
Hi guys so i just called the embassy in mexico. And the receptionist informed me that there are a whopping 2 people working in the immigration section and they are trying to process applications. I dont know wether to cry or laugh can you imagine what the timeline will be for finalizing applications. This is ridicoulus!
& those 2 ppl problably arent even working on our applications !!

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
Frida19 said:
& those 2 ppl problably arent even working on our applications !!
There probably drinking coffee and checking facebook :-\

smontenegro

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
Doc's Request.
25-05-2013
AOR Received.
12-08-2012 from Miss. 25-10-2012 from Mexico
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
07-08-2013
LeisaP said:
There probably drinking coffee and checking facebook :-\
I sure hope not :( My husbands passport has been at the VO for almost 2 weeks now and they still haven't sent it back. I doubt that stamping a passport and mailing it back is time consuming for them...ugh this is so frustrating....!!