+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Meeting RO after completing 5 years? Should I wait to applu for PR Card?

Maruchan

Star Member
Oct 9, 2016
Hello, I am currently residing in Canada. My 5 year period after landing ends on Sept 2023. But my 2 years RO will be completednon Dec 2023. Should I wait til Dec 2023 to apply for my PT card renewal?

I am also a daily cross border commuter for work in US. If my PR card expires, can I ise COPR to continue my commute till I get new PR card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But my 2 years RO will be completednon Dec 2023. Should I wait til Dec 2023 to apply for my PT card renewal?
Assuming your info is correct, yes. See below though. (May wish to add another 30 days before applying just to be sure)

I am also a daily cross border commuter for work in US. If my PR card expires, can I ise COPR to continue my commute till I get new PR card?
You can use any document incl your expired PR card since it's mainly identifying you as a PR (the card is not the status) and they just look it up. Note, though, that if this is the case, that you are already right now out of compliance with the RO, you could have problems at any time you cross the border. It is probably more likely (a lot? a little? no idea) if you are crossign with an expired card.

So I suspect you may have miscalculated somehow, please check. The main thing is if you have been out of Canada more than 1095 days since your day of landing - and to be clear, days where the entire 24 hour period you were not in canada, ie. days in which you were in Canada even for a minute, arriving or departing, count as days in Canada.

Have the border officers on Canadian side really never mentioned anything?

Hope you're keepng good records of all your entries/departures.