Med's Done....
Initial 15-01-2015, Re-medical on 11-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
19-02-2016
I am planning to sponsor my parents to Canada.

I have an elder sister who has schizophrenia and she is unmarried. She is doing better now and is self dependent for cooking and taking care of herself. She is 34 and I want to sponsor her along with my parents as a dependent child.

Dependants over the age limit
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
Can this affect their application ? If my sister is deemed not admissible to Canada, Will CIC reject the application of my parents as well or can she be removed from the application if she failed her medical ?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Mc.Sim

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I have an elder sister who has schizophrenia and she is unmarried. She is doing better now and is self dependent for cooking and taking care of herself. She is 34 and I want to sponsor her along with my parents as a dependent child.

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
Can this affect their application ? If my sister is deemed not admissible to Canada, Will CIC reject the application of my parents as well or can she be removed from the application if she failed her medical ?
Thanks in advance.
Yes her application can result in your parents being refused. I am not sure whether she would really be considered dependent on your parents if she is able to be care for herself.

kriskris

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015, IP Since 08-28-2015
Med's Request
07-01-2016
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
19-02-2016
Yes her application can result in your parents being refused. I am not sure whether she would really be considered dependent on your parents if she is able to be care for herself.
She is still financially dependent on them. This is going to be a tough choice but I don't think that parents want to come without her.

kriskris

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015, IP Since 08-28-2015
Med's Request
07-01-2016
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
19-02-2016
Anyone else has any experience with similar issue ?

westernguy416

Jan 31, 2019
Anyone else has any experience with similar issue ?
I'm exactly in this situation trying to sponsor my parents with a 30-year-old Type C dependent child suffering schizophrenia. Based on the rules,
dependent child is exempt from medical inadmissibility rule (excessive demands) as long as they can prove she doesn't cause danger to public safety.

But my main concern is how will CIC determine if a mentally ill person suffering schizophrenia would cause danger to the public? It would be great if someone on canadavisa has gone through this application before...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons/medical-inadmissibility.html

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm exactly in this situation trying to sponsor my parents with a 30-year-old Type C dependent child suffering schizophrenia. Based on the rules,
dependent child is exempt from medical inadmissibility rule (excessive demands) as long as they can prove she doesn't cause danger to public safety.

But my main concern is how will CIC determine if a mentally ill person suffering schizophrenia would cause danger to the public? It would be great if someone on canadavisa has gone through this application before...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons/medical-inadmissibility.html
Your brother is not exempt from medical inadmissibility rule.
That rule only apply if you are a PR/Citizen and applying that for your own dependent son.

Your PGP application is view as a new PR application and your parents and their dependent (your brother) are viewed as a new immigration application. So the medical inadmissibility rule applies.

westernguy416

Jan 31, 2019
Your brother is not exempt from medical inadmissibility rule.
That rule only apply if you are a PR/Citizen and applying that for your own dependent son.

Your PGP application is view as a new PR application and your parents and their dependent (your brother) are viewed as a new immigration application. So the medical inadmissibility rule applies.
It's not clear if the excessive demand threshold is calculated based on per person of the family or the whole family?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's not clear if the excessive demand threshold is calculated based on per person of the family or the whole family?
It's likely per person. But if the dependent or applicant exceed the limit, then the whole family will not be approved.

I will wait for members with more experience dealing with medical inadmissibility to reply.

kemeshia

Star Member
Feb 11, 2009
canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It's likely per person. But if the dependent or applicant exceed the limit, then the whole family will not be approved.

I will wait for members with more experience dealing with medical inadmissibility to reply.
I have a say schizophrenic is probably one that will likely make this inadmissible due to the danger to public if the person goes crazy.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most schizophrenic people are not a danger to others they are more of a danger to themselves if anything. The big issue is that the Canadian mental health system is very overwhelmed and doesn't provide adequate care to Canadians. Schizophrenic patients can be difficult to treat and keep stabilized so the risk of needing hospitalization, ER visits or even jail unfortunately are very high. The biggest issue is after your parents pass away or as the become more frail there is a much higher chance that the state will likely have to assume care for your brother which is very expensive. On top of that there is a huge lack of supportive housing that's why many people who struggle with schizophrenia end up in jail or homeless. Eventually he will also likely qualify for disability payments.

Reactions: kemeshia

BABESANDI

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019

Thanks in advance.
My cousin was sponsering her sister and mom, the sister had a disorder not sure what it is, however the sponsership didnt go through. I believe it was due to the sister medical condition and the strain it would have on the health care system, the mom wouldn't want to leave her anyways.

westernguy416

Jan 31, 2019
My cousin was sponsering her sister and mom, the sister had a disorder not sure what it is, however the sponsership didnt go through. I believe it was due to the sister medical condition and the strain it would have on the health care system, the mom wouldn't want to leave her anyways.
can you please let me know when this sponsorship application happened? as the excessive demand threshold is now $20,000/year instead of $6500 as before...

BABESANDI

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
This was a few years ago, I would say maybe 2007 or around there, so it's been a while. Not sure if things have changed

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This was a few years ago, I would say maybe 2007 or around there, so it's been a while. Not sure if things have changed
It was recently increased (June 2018) to $102,585 over 5 years (or $20,517 per year).

In June 2018, the Government of Canada announced changes to the excessive demand policy. Under the new policy, the cost threshold amount is increased. The new amount is now three times the Canadian average cost for health and social services. We’ll update this amount every year, based on the latest Canadian average.