+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam validity extension for additional 12 months (new CIC Bulletin)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
I don't think there's anything that can be done until a decision is made or IF they request a new medical. Generally, CIC has the ability to extend a medical if it's within 15 months of the decision date. I believe this is an automatic action for the officers. IF they request a new medical, THEN you can request for the extension to be done. At this point, all you can do is wait to see how it unfolds. There certainly is no point in getting a new one done until you know for sure it is needed!

spicy

Jul 16, 2014
hey all ;

i joined this thread recently

i applied one year ago and they sent me an email asking to redo my medical exam ... i had no idea about the extension and made the exam again and sent them the documents they asked for

any idea about the time .. does it mean that the decision will be made in more than 15 months or what ??

plz plz plz help

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
KellyL said:
I'm a bit confused, my husbands medical exam will expire probably before they make a decision if he is approved to be a permanant resident. How do we go about getting the extension or will they do it automatically because it will have just expired?
It's up to the visa officer to request it - you don't do anything.

sammystorm19

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-13
Doc's Request.
23-09-14
AOR Received.
12-06-13
File Transfer...
27-06-13
Med's Done....
18-01-13
Passport Req..
09-10-14
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-14
LANDED..........
07-11-14
spicy said:
hey all ;

i joined this thread recently

i applied one year ago and they sent me an email asking to redo my medical exam ... i had no idea about the extension and made the exam again and sent them the documents they asked for

any idea about the time .. does it mean that the decision will be made in more than 15 months or what ??

plz plz plz help
If your medicals are over 15 months old they will ask for new ones to be completed. If they have completed your file and all you need are valid medicals - and it's within the 15 months from when the original meds were done - then they will ask for an extentsion. This is what is on the CIC website. Check out the link below. But with this being said....some VO offices don't follow all the rules on the CIC website and they will extend them even after the 15 months are done and your not waiting for a decision. In my case, our meds were sent for an extension April 7 2014 and by the end of the month they were extended as per our GCSM notes. We are still waiting for our file to go in process or even for my hubby to get a call/email to ask for his passport.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/assess/cert.asp

as per the cic website

Reassessments for a new medical certificate
This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by CIC staff. It is posted on the CIC website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

Officers can request a reassessment of an applicant’s medical file by a medical officer or a Health Branch delegated staff. Such request may result in the issuance of a new medical certificate.

Note:
The decision to grant a reassessment is at the discretion of a medical officer or a Health Branch delegated staff.

The process applies only to cases where a final decision is pending due to either:

•the expiration of a medical certificate; or,
•when the validity of the medical certificate is about to expire and the applicant is unable to land before it expires.
The process does not apply to applicants who are inadmissible on health grounds since inadmissible ‘M’ profiles do not expire.

Eligibility criteria for requesting a reassessment of the applicant’s medical file:
•Medical assessment is less than 15 months old (for applicants residing inside or outside Canada); or
•Medical assessment is older than 15 months, and the applicant has been residing in Canada continuously for at least the past 2 years (for applicants residing in Canada only).

sadleirk86

Aug 15, 2014
Hi there,
I done my medical in July 2013 as it was required for my LMO application last year. I applied for PR in January and my status is still at "application received" but it lists "medical results received". I got an email from CIC requesting my residency history in the last 6 months as they need this to re evaluate my medical results. At this point it has been 13 months since I done my medical - anybody any idea if I should be okay by 15 months or is there a chance the process will take longer (keep in mind the fact that they have asked for my addresses to try to re evaluate the medical)

Also is this a good sign that they are re evaluating my medical - as in a good sign I will get PR???! :)

Greatly appreciate any info :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sadleirk86 said:
Hi there,
I done my medical in July 2013 as it was required for my LMO application last year. I applied for PR in January and my status is still at "application received" but it lists "medical results received". I got an email from CIC requesting my residency history in the last 6 months as they need this to re evaluate my medical results. At this point it has been 13 months since I done my medical - anybody any idea if I should be okay by 15 months or is there a chance the process will take longer (keep in mind the fact that they have asked for my addresses to try to re evaluate the medical)

Also is this a good sign that they are re evaluating my medical - as in a good sign I will get PR???! :)

Greatly appreciate any info :)
Yes, it's a good sign. They are probably deciding whether they can extend your medicals based on the countries you've lived in recently or need you to re-do part or all of it. You're reaching the finish line! Congrats =)

ayyan79

Sep 24, 2014
police job

My husband is police officer i sponsor him now my case in London. is police job takes longer time fo approval

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Re: police job

ayyan79 said:
My husband is police officer i sponsor him now my case in London. is police job takes longer time fo approval
Not generally, no.

arleneo1arlene

Jul 9, 2014
ontario,ca
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-October 2014
AOR Received.
22 - NOVEMBER 2014
File Transfer...
26-NOVEMBER 2014
Med's Done....
20-AUGUST 2014
Passport Req..
21- JANUARY 2015
hi everyone for upront medical, can i send the emedical report even if their is additional test to take? were completing our application and to be send in missasauga.

cec2013july

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OhCanadiana said:
There's a new procedure that will allow medical validity to be extended if your application processing is completed within 15 months of the original medical exam and the only thing stopping your application from final approved and PPR is the expiration of your medical results (or ability to reasonably land within the initial year-long validity).

Officers will now be able to submit a request for an extension of the medical exam result validity (as long as they were done within the last 15 months) and they can extend them for an additional 12 months without the need for an additional medical exam. The details are on the CIC website.

Hopefully this saves folks time and expense of extra medical exams.
Hi OhCanadiana,

I am a CEC July 2013 applicant. Got upfront medicals done for self and family in Nov 2013.

All the checks (Eligibility, Medical, Criminality) are set to passed as per GCMS.

I got a request on 08th Oct to provide CIC with updated residence history for 2 years for self and family. To best of what I understand, it was because our medicals are expiring in Nov-2014.

Do you think CIC will be extending our medicals or do we need to re do the medicals?

Pls advise

safa.umair

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Hi guys, my husband did his medicals and police certificate in April 2013 and we sent the file in Nov 2013.

last month Abu Dhabi visa office sent an email to do the re medicals and re police certificate for Saudi Arabia only initially he's from Pakistan and we sent the police certificate for pakistan initially in November.

My status on Ecas is "in process" how long do I have to wait for ppr. It's been one year since I applied.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cec2013july said:
Do you think CIC will be extending our medicals or do we need to re do the medicals?
It's up to the officer, but generally they will ask for new medicals if you have other things pending on your file when they expire.

umer474

Aug 11, 2014
Hi all,
Decision was made on my file in the beginning of August and i am still waiting for PPR request. As my medical was due again in October they requested me medical reassessment for my spouse who is outside of Canada and my file status went back to IP.

My wife had appeared for medical in the mid of October . This time they only asked for X ray

Just wonder is this something to worry about? & how much time they usually take to complete this process.

cec2013july

Star Member
Oct 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
umer474 said:
Hi all,
Decision was made on my file in the beginning of August and i am still waiting for PPR request. As my medical was due again in October they requested me medical reassessment for my spouse who is outside of Canada and my file status went back to IP.

My wife had appeared for medical in the mid of October . This time they only asked for X ray

Just wonder is this something to worry about? & how much time they usually take to complete this process.
Hi umer474,

I do understand it is very frustrating but nothing to worry about. I am in similar situation and hopefully things would work out in our favour before the end of this year. It has already been quite a long wait for a few of us.

Did CIC ask you for the updated residence history for yourself and your spouse for the past 2 years?

Since medical for you and your spouse expired in the end of September, did they not ask you to undergo the medicals again?

How long have you been in Canada?

Thanks