+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam validity extension for additional 12 months (new CIC Bulletin)

Yasiin

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
30-08-2011
Med's Request
18-05-2012
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
26-01-2012
Passport Req..
02-08-2012 (London vo recieved passport 06-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2012
LANDED..........
13-09-2012 (PR card came in the mail on 14-11-2012)
oreidapennsyltucky said:
I received a medical extension without asking for one. It's great for me because I received my COPR last week and otherwise would have needed to land before this Wednesday, which really isn't enough time to actually move (though I could have landed and moved later). I think it only held back my file by a few weeks.
Did you get your COPR by post or email? I dont know why they have not extended mine. Sometimes it is so weird how the VO's go about their operational decisions. I was asked to redo the medicals because my medicals were going to expire the decision couldnt be made unless the they could either extend it or order the renewal. I happened to be the one asked to do so. i am just wondering how long its gonna take before the result of medical reassessment decision is reached. I know each case is different but it is sometime unfair to see the way they handle situations. Congrats Oreidapennysltucky.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pinkbutterfly said:
Hi ok lang po ba na magpa medical nako without notice na nagrerequest na sila ng medical report ko? Kasi po ifoforward na namin ni hubby yung application namen for spouse sponsorship so, kailangan po ba na magpamedical nako para kasama na sya sa application namin? Ang second question ko po is saan po ako pwede kumuha ng medical form na ippresent ko sa doc. Ko for medical?
Hi - I can try to help if you write this in English. Others can also chime in :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
missmini said:
Thanks OhCanadiana, i should have read it more carefully ;) i hope giving the extension is just a matter of a few phonecalls and emails ;) anyway it's clear for me now that we won't stress ourselves with redoing the medicals (if we reach that close); we'll let them ask or not ask ;) hihihi one less thing to do
No problem! :).

May you not need it ;)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yasiin said:
Did you get your COPR by post or email?
CoPRs are original documents - one copy with photo attached - so you can either get them in person or by post.

Yasiin said:
I dont know why they have not extended mine. Sometimes it is so weird how the VO's go about their operational decisions. I was asked to redo the medicals because my medicals were going to expire the decision couldnt be made unless the they could either extend it or order the renewal. I happened to be the one asked to do so. i am just wondering how long its gonna take before the result of medical reassessment decision is reached.
Since they can only request an extension if everything else is done, your VO may have been trying to shorten your overall process timeline by asking you to get the new medical done while the security and background checks were wrapped up. Each case is unique so sometimes it's just a matter of differences in the details.

Yasiin said:
I know each case is different but it is sometime unfair to see the way they handle situations. Congrats Oreidapennysltucky.
Buffalo has been extending medicals for a while now. In hindsight, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the pilot program. While in this case, sure some people who applied through Buffalo may have had an advantage, it cuts both ways because they have also tested additional requirements for applicants starting with the Buffalo VO so it was a bit more tedious to apply there. So there is more method to the madness than what we may be aware of intially. You win some, you lose some...

Yasiin

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
30-08-2011
Med's Request
18-05-2012
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
26-01-2012
Passport Req..
02-08-2012 (London vo recieved passport 06-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2012
LANDED..........
13-09-2012 (PR card came in the mail on 14-11-2012)
OhCanadiana said:
CoPRs are original documents - one copy with photo attached - so you can either get them in person or by post.
Since they can only request an extension if everything else is done, your VO may have been trying to shorten your overall process timeline by asking you to get the new medical done while the security and background checks were wrapped up. Each case is unique so sometimes it's just a matter of differences in the details.

Buffalo has been extending medicals for a while now. In hindsight, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the pilot program. While in this case, sure some people who applied through Buffalo may have had an advantage, it cuts both ways because they have also tested additional requirements for applicants starting with the Buffalo VO so it was a bit more tedious to apply there. So there is more method to the madness than what we may be aware of intially. You win some, you lose some...
Yeah you are right but i hope this process is over. its getting into my nerve right now. Thanks for info Ohcanaidana

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
medical extension 07-06-12 request sent by VO
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
missmini said:
so they already apply the bulletin....interesting :) i wonder how much the reassassment takes and if they let everyone know that they do ::) if there is a processing time for that too, i would just redo them, if it takes a few days than it's goooooood :)

from what understand from everything is that maybe the medical office will not give the green flag and extension to everyone, do correct me if i'm wrong; maybe it matters of various health or other geographical factors ::)

thanks for sharing ur opinions and experiences!! :)
Hi there, my husband received phone call from Detroit VO on June 7th stating that they were requesting a medical extension for him as he would not have enough time to land before expiration of his medical which was june 13... The VO said it would take 2-3 weeks and my husband should have his documents back. We are heading into the third week, and as of yet still havent heard anything. Just wondering if the 2-3 weeks is an accurate statement. Lord I hope so..
Lasiar

0jenifer0

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 29, 2011 (CPC-M recvd Nov 1, 2011)
Doc's Request.
Feb 13, 2012 (sent June 4, 2012)
AOR Received.
Dec 29, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2012
Med's Request
Aug 13, 2012 (recvd 08-23-2012) (redo 08-30-2012)
Med's Done....
May 26, 2011 exprd.
Passport Req..
Feb 8, 2012 (sent 03-23-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28, 2012 (12-2-12 DM) (12-7-2012 delivered)
LANDED..........
DEC-25-2012

Operational Bulletin 423 - May 24, 2012
Reassessment of a medical file for the issuance of a new medical certificate
Summary

Effective June 1st, 2012, officers can request that an applicant's medical file be reassessed by a Medical Officer (MOF) or a Health Branch (HB) delegated staff for the issuance of a new medical certificate. The process applies to cases where a final decision of an officer is pending only due to the expiration of a medical certificate or when the validity of the medical certificate is about to expire and the applicant is unable to land before it expires. This process is limited to applicants who had a routine immigration medical examination (IME) done by a panel physician within the last 15 months in or outside Canada. The new medical certificate issued will be valid for 12 months.
Issue

This Operational Bulletin aims to standardize the reassessment of a medical file for the issuance of a new medical certificate to ensure alignment with the legislation while fulfilling departmental operational needs. This procedure is limited to situations where the final decision of an officer is pending due only to the expiration of a medical certificate. If anything else is pending, the officer should not use this procedure.
Background

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), sections 30(4) and 72(1)(e)(iii), foreign nationals (FNs) who seek to enter Canada and those already in Canada applying to become permanent residents must hold a medical certificate based on the most recent medical examination to which they were required to submit under the IRPR within the previous twelve months, indicating that they are not inadmissible on health grounds. However, upon request of an officer, HB has been granting ‘extension of IME validity' for periods varying from one to twelve months in order to support operational needs. This process has been reviewed for better alignment with the legislation and strengthening of program integrity.

A medical assessment, which is a medical examination for the purposes of immigration, is the review of an applicant's medical file by a MOF and/or HB delegated staff. The result of the last medical assessment is entered in Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) electronic platforms (such as the Global Case Management System (GCMS) or Field Operations Support System (FOSS) as an ‘M' profile indicating that an applicant is either admissible or inadmissible on health grounds. A medical certificate is an ‘M' profile indicating that an applicant underwent a medical examination within the previous 12 months and is not inadmissible on health grounds (therefore limited to M1, M2, M3, M23, M19, M29, and M39 profiles).
Instructions

When the final decision of an officer is pending due only to the expiration of a medical certificate or when the validity of the medical certificate is about to expire and the applicant is unable to land before it expires, the officer will:

*Issue medical instructions for a new full routine medical examination done by a panel physician if the IME is older than 15 months;
*For in-Canada and overseas cases with an IME done within the last 15 months:
-Contact the Regional Medical Office (RMO) responsible for the file at the following e-mail addresses:
*Beijing: Bejing-mc @ international.gc.ca
*London: London-mc @ international.gc.ca
*Manila- Traditional visa offices attached to RMO Manila: Manil.mc @ international.gc.ca
*Manila- Visa offices previously attached to RMO Singapore: Manil.mc-im @ international.gc.ca
*New Delhi: Delhi-mc @ international.gc.ca
*Ottawa: ime-reassessment @ cic.gc.ca
*Paris: Paris-mc @ international.gc.ca
-Entitle your e-mail ‘Reassessment of an applicant's medical file for the issuance of a new medical certificate';
-Provide the applicant's name, ID number, date of birth, date of initial IME, and country of residence for the last 6 months.

It is recommended that the officer review the validity of the medical certificate of all the persons being part of an immigration application and request the reassessment of the medical file for those eligible for the process if needed.

*Upon receipt of the request for reassessment, the MOF or the HB delegated staff will:
-Review the medical file to determine if there is sufficiently relevant and up to date medical information to provide a new opinion of admissibility on health grounds;
-Request additional medical information if a new opinion based upon the existing information in the medical file is not possible;
-Assess the medical file including any new additional medical information as needed;
-Provide a new opinion of admissibility or inadmissibility on health grounds;
-Enter the new ‘M' profile in the CIC electronic platform (such as GCMS or FOSS);
-Send an e-mail to the officer who requested the reassessment to confirm that the process has been completed.

It is recommended that the officer issue medical instructions for a new full routine medical examination done by a panel physician if the results of additional testing are unlikely to be provided quickly.

*If the opinion of the CIC MOF and/or HB delegated staff is that the applicant is:
-Admissible on health grounds: a new medical certificate will be issued and will be valid for a 12 month period starting from the date of the new medical assessment;
-Inadmissible on health grounds: a new medical certificate will not be issued.
*The new ‘M' profile constitutes the most current opinion of inadmissibility provided to the officer for the final decision of inadmissibility on health grounds.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob423.asp

Tennesseean

May 23, 2012
Lasiar said:
Hi there, my husband received phone call from Detroit VO on June 7th stating that they were requesting a medical extension for him as he would not have enough time to land before expiration of his medical which was june 13... The VO said it would take 2-3 weeks and my husband should have his documents back. We are heading into the third week, and as of yet still havent heard anything. Just wondering if the 2-3 weeks is an accurate statement. Lord I hope so..
Lasiar
Hi Lasiar,

I am in the same situation. Did you receive your passports w/ COPR and visa yet? I have sent my passports in june 1st week, and I was informed by email that they have sent a request for medical exam validity extension. Please let me know if you have heard anything yet. I am looking for some time frame idea. Thanks.

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
Tennesseean said:
Hi Lasiar,

I am in the same situation. Did you receive your passports w/ COPR and visa yet? I have sent my passports in june 1st week, and I was informed by email that they have sent a request for medical exam validity extension. Please let me know if you have heard anything yet. I am looking for some time frame idea. Thanks.
Hi Tennesseean. No I have not heard anything yet.. have received nothing either. was informed of medical extension request via a phone call. on june 7th the officer said it would take about 2-3 weeks. The 3 weeks is up and we have heard nothing more. The time frame is what we all would like to know. so I really don't know more than that. keep us posted as well if anything new happens on your end.
thanks
Lasiar

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
Lasiar said:
Lasiar
don't worry it will come :) i think in the summer the offices work at 80% capacity, including the medical ones, and also there is the long weekend; maybe he meant 2-3 business weeks....let's say if by the end of next week still nothing then try to contact them with an email.....

hmm if asking for an extension takes longer than getting new sets of medicals done, then i'm sure many ppl would prefer getting the new medicals ::) ::) ::)

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
missmini said:
don't worry it will come :) i think in the summer the offices work at 80% capacity, including the medical ones, and also there is the long weekend; maybe he meant 2-3 business weeks....let's say if by the end of next week still nothing then try to contact them with an email.....

hmm if asking for an extension takes longer than getting new sets of medicals done, then i'm sure many ppl would prefer getting the new medicals ::) ::) ::)
Ty missmini :) .. I do hope you are right, nice postive thoughts are exactly what I need. Fingers crossed for news soon Thank you again. :)

Tennesseean

May 23, 2012
Lasiar said:
Hi Tennesseean. No I have not heard anything yet.. have received nothing either. was informed of medical extension request via a phone call. on june 7th the officer said it would take about 2-3 weeks. The 3 weeks is up and we have heard nothing more. The time frame is what we all would like to know. so I really don't know more than that. keep us posted as well if anything new happens on your end.
thanks
Lasiar
Hi Lasiar, Thank you for the information. I hope you will receive it soon. It is really a long wait time. I have sent my passports 4 weeks back, and now it may take additional 2 - 3 weeks. I will keep posted if I receive any information.

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
Hi guys, just popping in to say, still nothing yet! :(....... month has passed since the request and no word of any thing. How about any of you? heard anything?

Tennesseean

May 23, 2012
Lasiar said:
Hi guys, just popping in to say, still nothing yet! :(....... month has passed since the request and no word of any thing. How about any of you? heard anything?
Nothing yet in my case too. Thanks for the update.

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
Well, MP office called me back today, Ottawa says that it shows PP has been viewed and shows that the request was submitted for extension, but that is all they know apparently, don't know where it is now for status. we are going on 6 weeks for the extension, double what we were told. That is all for now that I know. Anyone else have any new updates?
Lasiar