+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MBA students can be rejected?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You study at MUN too?
No but I've visited there. It is a relatively small school and the MBA program is relatively new which in one of the reasons it is less expensive, it hasn't established itself and not a program many would know about or consider. Also pretty remote so not an area where a professor can come in easily to teach a class if they are not a full-time professor at the school. Assume you are a pharmacist. You should be aware that there is a surplus of pharmacists in Canada and salaries in community pharmacy have been decreasing for the past 10-15 years and good full-time jobs are harder to find. The one exception is Quebec because most Canadian graduate and internationally trained pharmacists don't speak French.

Reactions: trang.ng.pharm

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
No but I've visited there. It is a relatively small school and the MBA program is relatively new which in one of the reasons it is less expensive, it hasn't established itself and not a program many would know about or consider. Also pretty remote so not an area where a professor can come in easily to teach a class if they are not a full-time professor at the school. Assume you are a pharmacist. You should be aware that there is a surplus of pharmacists in Canada and salaries in community pharmacy have been decreasing for the past 10-15 years and good full-time jobs are harder to find. The one exception is Quebec because most Canadian graduate and internationally trained pharmacists don't speak French.
I did some research about MUN, it won best MBA in Canada in 2017, it’s ranked in top 10 best comprehensive universities in Canada. I think the ranking now is the 8th not 5th anymore. The PM Trudeau just joined a town hall with MUN I think in Oct to present funding program for the school, I think that’s one of the reason why the tuition is cheap. You are right, the only bad thing about Memorial is it’s remote. About the pharmacist job prospect and salary, where did you get this information? I haven’t heard pharmacist salary decreases by time. It’s still one of the well paid occupation there right?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I did some research about MUN, it won best MBA in Canada in 2017, it’s ranked in top 10 best comprehensive universities in Canada. I think the ranking now is the 8th not 5th anymore. The PM Trudeau just joined a town hall with MUN I think in Oct to present funding program for the school, I think that’s one of the reason why the tuition is cheap. You are right, the only bad thing about Memorial is it’s remote. About the pharmacist job prospect and salary, where did you get this information? I haven’t heard pharmacist salary decreases by time. It’s still one of the well paid occupation there right?
Where are you getting your rankings? MUN is nowhere close to being ranked top 10 in any type of reliable rankings
https://www.macleans.ca/education/unirankings/best-business-universities-in-canada-2017-ranking/#gallery/best-business-universities-in-canada-2017-ranking/
Macleans the most accurate rankings doesn't have them in top 20

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
Where are you getting your rankings? MUN is nowhere close to being ranked top 10 in any type of reliable rankings
https://www.macleans.ca/education/unirankings/best-business-universities-in-canada-2017-ranking/#gallery/best-business-universities-in-canada-2017-ranking/
Please search for comprehensive universities, MUN is strong in research and has wide range of fields. This is the link for your reference (from the reliable website you ref above): https://www.macleans.ca/education/university-rankings-2020-canadas-top-comprehensive-schools/

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
I am not here to argue about the ranking of my university, but you seem so certain your perspective is correct so I just show you mine (with reference from reliable source of course, I don’t plug this ranking stuff from the air). Again thank you for your sharing.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I am not here to argue about the ranking of my university, but you seem so certain your perspective is correct so I just show you mine (with reference from reliable source of course, I don’t plug this ranking stuff from the air). Again thank you for your sharing.
Yeah, I'm not trying to bash any institutions either but just saying the primary attribute that matters for a business school is its network. If you are happy with yours then that's all that matters.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please search for comprehensive universities, MUN is strong in research and has wide range of fields. This is the link for your reference (from the reliable website you ref above): https://www.macleans.ca/education/university-rankings-2020-canadas-top-comprehensive-schools/
Ranking on comprehensive programs has nothing to do with MBA ranking. I have attached the business school ranking in Canada which is more relevant. Unfortunately MUN isn't on the top 20 list.

https://www.macleans.ca/education/canadas-best-university-business-programs-2021-rankings/

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am very familiar with the market for pharmacists and yes salaries for retail pharmacists have been decreasing for around 10-15 years in most markets for community pharmacists which is the most common jobs. It is also hard to find full-time jobs many are working part-time at a few stores without benefits. Canada let way too many pharmacists immigrate while also increasing enrolment in Canadian schools. Would be happy to find more proof that salaries are decreasing. If you do a little bit of research there is a lot of information. Based on the level of education and time needed you could do many things and get paid a lot more. In the cities the going salaries are very low compared to other professions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pharmacy/comments/83g70s

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This study was almost 10 years ago. The job market has gotten much worse in 10 years and affect most of the country. The really remote jobs where they do enough scripts are the best compensated but it is for a good reason. Another pharmacist is ready to work for less than you which means that owners don't feel the pressure to pay well or give annual raises. Ruined a good stable career for many.

http://www.pharmacistsgatewaycanada.ca/documents/Gregory_Austin_CPJ_article_000.pdf

trang.ng.pharm

Sep 13, 2019
I am very familiar with the market for pharmacists and yes salaries for retail pharmacists have been decreasing for around 10-15 years in most markets for community pharmacists which is the most common jobs. It is also hard to find full-time jobs many are working part-time at a few stores without benefits. Canada let way too many pharmacists immigrate while also increasing enrolment in Canadian schools. Would be happy to find more proof that salaries are decreasing. If you do a little bit of research there is a lot of information. Based on the level of education and time needed you could do many things and get paid a lot more. In the cities the going salaries are very low compared to other professions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pharmacy/comments/83g70s
thanks for sharing. Even though I am not planning to become a registered pharmacist since taking PEBC exams is no joke, it takes time and money, but knowing these insights is helpful.

Last edited:

Shaild

Oct 17, 2019
Yes, we've seen students from this school refused. It's an extremely low ranked school. It frankly doesn't make sense for someone to pay so much money to come to Canada to study at such a poor institution. They pretty much accept anyone into their program. IRCC knows this and that's why refusals happen.
I had a chat with few Alumnus on linkedin and most of the recent graduates were pretty happy with the quality of education & were placed in good positions on completion of studies. Yes, it is private but the professors teaching there are also lecturers in high end public universities. However, I did notice the ones who cleared in past years were quite unhappy. I believe they recently had a change in management & it is not that easy to get directly into their MBA program. If you don't have good education background or experience you have to do a foundation course for 3 months & only then take the MBA course. But I do understand why you say that, but for someone with limited funds, this can be the only option as most public universities are more expensive.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had a chat with few Alumnus on linkedin and most of the recent graduates were pretty happy with the quality of education & were placed in good positions on completion of studies. Yes, it is private but the professors teaching there are also lecturers in high end public universities. However, I did notice the ones who cleared in past years were quite unhappy. I believe they recently had a change in management & it is not that easy to get directly into their MBA program. If you don't have good education background or experience you have to do a foundation course for 3 months & only then take the MBA course. But I do understand why you say that, but for someone with limited funds, this can be the only option as most public universities are more expensive.
Most get positions based on their work experience before coming to Canada. Many of the students wouldn't know how to compare their MBA to an MBA program at a university like UBC and most previous students aren't willing to bash their degree. Same thing as the few schools that are primarily international students in BC which consultants recommend regularly because approval is pretty much guaranteed and I assume they pay consultants a commission.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks for sharing. Even though I am not planning to become a registered pharmacist since taking PEBC exams is no joke, it takes time and money, but knowing these insights is helpful.

[/QUOTE

]If you are wanting work in the pharmaceutical industry the industry is pretty small in Canada and many companies have downsized in Canada in the past 20 years. If you have a good job in India your opportunities and lifestyle are probably better in industrial pharmacy in India.