+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

may 2020 intake (general discussion)

Vshneo

Mar 30, 2020
I have emailed my college and asked them to reduce the fees as an online experience is not the same as a live in-person classroom experience. I'm yet to hear from them. My college is SAIT.

Please email your college and tell them the same. This is totally unfair and especially to international students who pay a significantly higher rate for this education only because it is in Canada and has high standards.

We need to create a petition for this and get thousands of students to sign it.
This is the reply i got from them: If you are outside of Canada you can always study online without a study permit, however as of right now the IRCC has not given clarification about the post-graduation work permit eligibility. At this point, only students in Canada with a study permit are allowed to study online without any repercussions, students outside Canada can decide for themselves if they want to take the risk of starting their first semester online. We hope to receive more information from the IRCC soon.

Vshneo

Mar 30, 2020
Hey..Did they said you can do online classes from india...? Because most of the students visa is in process for may intake.some may get rejected,by the time they would have started their classes online..so they may expect us to come Canada and do online classes in isolation..
This is there reply : .... its totally the loss of our tution fees... if we attend one semester and got refuse for another by ircc... this is stupidity to join without study permit as they are saying......;::If you are outside of Canada you can always study online without a study permit, however as of right now the IRCC has not given clarification about the post-graduation work permit eligibility. At this point, only students in Canada with a study permit are allowed to study online without any repercussions, students outside Canada can decide for themselves if they want to take the risk of starting their first semester online. We hope to receive more information from the IRCC soon.

Vshneo

Mar 30, 2020
My college(SAIT) has confirmed that studying online from my home country will not impact the PGWP in any way. They mentioned that IRCC will consider this special circumstance. I have not seen any literature from IRCC.
My college is even same.. and there international department replied me this... its strange ... i got this mail 12 hours back... If you are outside of Canada you can always study online without a study permit, however as of right now the IRCC has not given clarification about the post-graduation work permit eligibility. At this point, only students in Canada with a study permit are allowed to study online without any repercussions, students outside Canada can decide for themselves if they want to take the risk of starting their first semester online. We hope to receive more information from the IRCC soon.

Vshneo

Mar 30, 2020
Well, SAIT is a govt institution. Anyway, I am waiting for an official update from IRCC. I want to see it on their website. As they are the authorities for final permit issuance.
Brother can we connect over whatsapp?? Kindly mail me on manusharma230@gmail.com... i taken admission in sait may 2020... and the situation is so confusing... they say something before and later another statement come

jinujose90

Apr 4, 2020
I reckon Canada embassies in India are not functioning due to Covid. There is no progress I see in my profile. I submitted one document through webform, but they rejected stating reduced number of staffs. I hope they will start assessing application after the lockdown period.

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
This is there reply : .... its totally the loss of our tution fees... if we attend one semester and got refuse for another by ircc... this is stupidity to join without study permit as they are saying......;::If you are outside of Canada you can always study online without a study permit, however as of right now the IRCC has not given clarification about the post-graduation work permit eligibility. At this point, only students in Canada with a study permit are allowed to study online without any repercussions, students outside Canada can decide for themselves if they want to take the risk of starting their first semester online. We hope to receive more information from the IRCC soon.
This is exactly my question.

Let us consider the scenarios.
1) Starting from outside Canada and not receiving Study permit - Will college refund tuition fee as it would have if the visa was refused? Or will it say that you already started the course and you cannot get a refund.
2) Guaranteed visa for people who start online - Will they assure everyone who starts the program will receive a visa for sure? If they do not, how can a international student take the risk of starting the program paying thousands of dollars?
3) Work Permit for all students who start online from their home country - This is not clear and the university is also in doubt. They are saying that all online programs will receive PGWP but not clarified that they will get a PGWP if they start the program from their home country.

Amidst all this uncertainty, how can students gamble with their future?

A clear cut solution is required for any decision to be taken.

If we are to start an online program, the following assurances must be given
1) Visa will be issued under any circumstances
2) PGWP will be issued regardless of online/offline program in home country or in Canada

Without this, I am not going to spend thousands of dollars for a MOOC which would be otherwise available for free online.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello everyone,
is anyone from Centennial college here, May 2020 intake . my program got suspended as it was practical based program {biotech} but they are providing transfer option.
So, is it good to transfer to management online course rather than waiting for September intake ?
do anyone has any idea about how Global Management Program is?
please help me!
These courses are usually nonsense courses, if you just want to get the PGWP its fine but dont expect much, a lot of them are created just so international students can get PGWP.

malumarinhoo

Jan 28, 2020
Is anyone inside canada who wants to apply for the Emergency fund? Or know if we can apply? It sucks to pay so much for college fees and see the rest of the money going to rent and other goods because of this situation.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Is anyone inside canada who wants to apply for the Emergency fund? Or know if we can apply? It sucks to pay so much for college fees and see the rest of the money going to rent and other goods because of this situation.
If you are talking about cerb international students can apply but the criteria is the same about making 5000 last year and having lost your job because of covid. Some schools are also giving out some cash assistance.

Meet577

Nov 4, 2019
This is exactly my question.

Let us consider the scenarios.
1) Starting from outside Canada and not receiving Study permit - Will college refund tuition fee as it would have if the visa was refused? Or will it say that you already started the course and you cannot get a refund.
2) Guaranteed visa for people who start online - Will they assure everyone who starts the program will receive a visa for sure? If they do not, how can a international student take the risk of starting the program paying thousands of dollars?
3) Work Permit for all students who start online from their home country - This is not clear and the university is also in doubt. They are saying that all online programs will receive PGWP but not clarified that they will get a PGWP if they start the program from their home country.

Amidst all this uncertainty, how can students gamble with their future?

A clear cut solution is required for any decision to be taken.

If we are to start an online program, the following assurances must be given
1) Visa will be issued under any circumstances
2) PGWP will be issued regardless of online/offline program in home country or in Canada

Without this, I am not going to spend thousands of dollars for a MOOC which would be otherwise available for free online.
This is the latest official update that you can study online classes from your home country (upto 50% of your course) and your PSWP will not be affected for sure so you don't have to worry. Check the link below

Advantages
1)Big saving on living expenses and your gic money will be saved.
2)Some colleges and universities are cutting down fees if you are taking online classes and it is expected that others will follow

Even considering this, it is never a wise decision to take up online classes without an approved visa so it is better to take a deferral for September. Even i applied for my sds visas on 26th march for may intake and waiting for the dicision.

Official website Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html?utm_source=SMAC#restrictions-students

Last edited:
Reactions: tanzirmahim

Sarahelsa

Feb 18, 2020
This is the latest official update that you can study online classes from your home country (upto 50% of your course) and your PSWP will not be affected for sure so you don't have to worry. Check the link below

Advantages
1)Big saving on living expenses and your gic money will be saved.
2)Some colleges and universities are cutting down fees if you are taking online classes and it is expected that others will follow

Even considering this, it is never a wise decision to take up online classes without an approved visa so it is better to take a deferral for September. Even i applied for my sds visas on 26th march for may intake and waiting for the dicision.

Official website Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html?utm_source=SMAC#restrictions-students
Hey i received my visa on 15th march and the college has asked me to start my online classes next month. So is this ok? They did inform me that pswp wont be affected.