+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

may 2020 intake (general discussion)

tanzirmahim

Mar 26, 2020
Hey i received my visa on 15th march and the college has asked me to start my online classes next month. So is this ok? They did inform me that pswp wont be affected.
if you're okay with online courses, you should be fine considering you have your study permit approved and the pgwp wont be affected. good luck!

Sarahelsa

Feb 18, 2020
if you're okay with online courses, you should be fine considering you have your study permit approved and the pgwp wont be affected. good luck!
Ok then its fine i guess. ive been looking forward to this for a very long time, so i think il go forward with this and fly to canada once everything is okay, anyway Thank You.

Meet577

Nov 4, 2019
Ok then its fine i guess. ive been looking forward to this for a very long time, so i think il go forward with this and fly to canada once everything is okay, anyway Thank You.
First thing first. Since you have received visa before 18th march so you can anyways fly to canada. Taking online classes within canada doesn't create PSWP issue. Question comes when you take classes from india.

Official message from IRCC
If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, your eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program won’t be affected. This includes students who have a study permit or who have been approved for a study permit for a program starting in May or June but who are unable to travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions. International students in this situation may begin their classes while outside Canada and may complete up to 50% of their program while outside Canada if they cannot travel to Canada sooner.

Are per my understanding from this message, you have to fly to canada and take online classes sitting inside canada as your visa has already been approved before 18th march so traveling restrictions is not for you. So you can't take online classes sitting in india unless international flights are not working to take you to canada. If you're taking online classes from India even if flights are functional then it might create an issue. Just clearing incase, consult about that with your consultant too.

Also you can try to get discount in fees from your college because of online classes for which consultancy can help you.

Reactions: Paras1012

tanzirmahim

Mar 26, 2020
First thing first. Since you have received visa before 18th march so you can anyways fly to canada. Taking online classes within canada doesn't create PSWP issue. Question comes when you take classes from india.

If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, your eligibility for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program won’t be affected. This includes students who have a study permit or who have been approved for a study permit for a program starting in May or June but who are unable to travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions. International students in this situation may begin their classes while outside Canada and may complete up to 50% of their program while outside Canada if they cannot travel to Canada sooner.

Are per my understanding from this message, you have to fly to canada and take online classes sitting inside canada as your visa has already been approved before 18th march so traveling restrictions is not for you. So you can't take online classes sitting in india unless international flights are not working to take you to canada. If you're taking online classes from India even if flights are functional then it might create an issue. Just clearing incase, consult about that with your consultant too.

Also you can try to get discount in fees from your college because of online classes for which consultancy can help you.
she cannot fly at the moment unless certain airlines are still operating to fly to canada and I'm pretty sure that is not the case atm.

tanzirmahim

Mar 26, 2020
Yes im aware of that and it will most likely to start from next month
your interpretation of PGSP being affected if you attend classes from india is majorly flawed. It clearly states in the statement that if you have been approved a study permit for the may intake and can't travel to canada due to travel restrictions(since there aren't any airlines operating to fly you to canada atm that counts as restriction as well) your PGSP WON'T BE AFFECTED.

Meet577

Nov 4, 2019
your interpretation of PGSP being affected if you attend classes from india is majorly flawed. It clearly states in the statement that if you have been approved a study permit for the may intake and can't travel to canada due to travel restrictions(since there aren't any airlines operating to fly you to canada atm that counts as restriction as well) your PGSP WON'T BE AFFECTED.

That was my statement where i mentioned "unless" as an exception so read the highlighted statement. Please from next time read everything properly before thinking of starting any argument.

getsthingsdone

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
The latest clarification from IRCC clearly states that students who have a valid visa can study upto 50% of the program from their home countries without impacting eligibility for PGWP.

tanzirmahim

Mar 26, 2020

"Question comes when you take classes from india."
yeah that explains a lot.

Sarahelsa

Feb 18, 2020

My college has adviced me to only travel when its safe and until then i can take online classes fron India and pgwp wont be affected.

Sadia06

Mar 25, 2020
My college has adviced me to only travel when its safe and until then i can take online classes fron India and pgwp wont be affected.
Which college are you going to? My college asked me to defer even tho my visa was accepted before 18th march

Sarahelsa

Feb 18, 2020
I've applied to M college, montreal. As now the new rules are in place maybe you should email the college once more and it is clearly stated that PGWP wont eb affected for students who are taking classes online until it is safe to travel.