+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****MAY 2019 Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

TJ90

Jun 12, 2019
Hi everyone. Did anyone else get restrictions on their work permit? Specifically:

1. Not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching, health service field occupations

yea I got the same restriction, I think it's because the medical testing hasn't been done yet. most people get that restriction on their OWP so no big deal :) unless you want to work in any of those occupations.. in which case you should try to get the restriction removed (which I found some threads on this forum on)

may2019

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
yea I got the same restriction, I think it's because the medical testing hasn't been done yet. most people get that restriction on their OWP so no big deal :) unless you want to work in any of those occupations.. in which case you should try to get the restriction removed (which I found some threads on this forum on)
I don't think it's because of no medical test. I think it's because of no certificate.

Last edited:

Angel_17

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
It actually is a problem because I have been working in the healthcare field for a year and a half now. I did do some research and the only reason for the restrictions I could find was the lack of medical exam, like you said. But the thing is, I did an upfront medical. So I can’t do another upfront to change the restrictions, right?

may2019

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
What certificate is this? Thanks
You said: "Not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching, health service field occupations."
You need certificates to work in such areas that you mentioned above. You shall take test to get such a certificate, or, if you have such experience in your native country, then you do a credential evaluation in Canada.

Angel_17

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
You said: "Not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching, health service field occupations."
You need certificates to work in such areas that you mentioned above. You shall take test to get such a certificate, or, if you have such experience in your native country, then you do a credential evaluation in Canada.
It doesn’t make sense because this is my second work permit. My first one did not have any restrictions and every time I search for a solution on how to change the restrictions, all that comes up is medical exam. This is the first time I am hearing about needing certificates for an open work permit

may2019

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
It doesn’t make sense because this is my second work permit. My first one did not have any restrictions and every time I search for a solution on how to change the restrictions, all that comes up is medical exam. This is the first time I am hearing about needing certificates for an open work permit
This is your second work permit, then I don't know what happen to you. I say of my experience. I was a teacher, but it's not possible for me to work in a public school in Canada until I get a teaching certificate.

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
This is your second work permit, then I don't know what happen to you. I say of my experience. I was a teacher, but it's not possible for me to work in a public school in Canada until I get a teaching certificate.
The certificate has NOTHING to do with it. The certificate is for your employer, not the government. The people saying above that it's about the med exam are 100% correct. You should be able to flag to get the restriction lifted if you've done a med exam already. I would try to head to a land border to see if any of the border officers there can help you.

dmsamy

Star Member
Aug 22, 2019
Hi everyone. Did anyone else get restrictions on their work permit? Specifically:

1. Not authorized to work in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching, health service field occupations
Once your medical s are cleared you can start working on these areas.

Ncik

Star Member
Aug 17, 2019

I had this in my Work and Travel visa. Reason is as far as i know that you cant workt in this sectors if you dont have the medical exam done beforehand.

Reactions: Angel_17

Angel_17

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
Thank you for the replies. I just got off the phone with IRCC. As @Sulwyn said, they do not require any certificates. The reason, however, for my WP restriction was that they did not see the upfront medical sheet with my application. They will be mailing me a new WP but until then, I cannot work. The frustrating thing is they cant give me a date as to when they could send it. Just “weeks to a couple of months”

Eheheh

Mar 14, 2019
Hello everyone, 1 question for those who received their owp, did you guys received any email that the sponsor is eligible to sponsor? I called cic about my husband's plan to quit his job bec of his paternity leave and they said he cant quit not unless we receive a confirmation saying he is eligible to sponsor. Thanks for future responses.

Reactions: may2019

IrrMirr

Star Member
May 8, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Hello everyone, 1 question for those who received their owp, did you guys received any email that the sponsor is eligible to sponsor? I called cic about my husband's plan to quit his job bec of his paternity leave and they said he cant quit not unless we receive a confirmation saying he is eligible to sponsor. Thanks for future responses.
I got my OWP end of July - still no eligibility email received by my husband