+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2018 - Citizenship Applicants

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Background Checks are done by the officer who checks your documents and their validity, Security Check is done by CSIS and Criminality Check is done by RCMP. The answer is YES or NO to these checks. The agents can actually see in great detail what the processing officer has written on file. Next time you call, ask specifically about the three checks. This should put you at ease.

I actually spoke to a very nice agent who possibly had spoken to someone distraught over delays :). She said to me that agents work on files in round robin fashion, they are opening new files and starting processing, they are making entries for existing files, sending out requests for various checks etc. etc. Agents work on one file, then move to another, then come back to third etc. etc. which are in different stages of the applications. Same agents are pulled out for conducting tests, for grading tests and for interviewing people. Seems like they are overloading and filled up to the brim.
Some agents get simple files i.e with minimum travel history and nothing much to be done, others get complex cases. Once the agent completes the process, they queue up the file for second inspection and then a test is scheduled.

So, do not worry, the queue system will work its way. I hope you gets yours soon. Do let us know what info you get on the three checks. Ask specifically and no harm calling twice.
Thanks man for the great reply ... I am sure it will sort itself out at the end ..Ill give them a week and call again ..

Reactions: jangotrick

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Hi all...Just a small update on our file.

Citizenship Test completed this afternoon in Calgary for 2 applicants.
Test passed thankfully.

Thanks for updating.
Ps..
All the best for all waiting for their next steps.
How many people were there for the test approximately ?

pearl2018

Oct 14, 2018
Hi all...Just a small update on our file.

Citizenship Test completed this afternoon in Calgary for 2 applicants.
Test passed thankfully.

Thanks for updating.
Ps..
All the best for all waiting for their next steps.
Many congratz...

I just want to ask all of them who recently appeared in test that approx how many questions are from current affairs or government...??

MARCHIE

Jan 8, 2011
Vancouver ....Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC LONDON UK-----Transferred to PVO 7Feb 2013
NOC Code......
3152 ( Registered Nurse )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
Guys its exact 3months since my file is in the process....14 Aug...now 14 Nov...still no news...or updates coming up....will there be a finger printing required or background check? what will be the next step...my PR card is also expiring in Feb 2015...
Any suggestion are welcome....thanks...

Lionhearted

Star Member
Sep 17, 2018
Guys its exact 3months since my file is in the process....14 Aug...now 14 Nov...still no news...or updates coming up....will there be a finger printing required or background check? what will be the next step...my PR card is also expiring in Feb 2015...
Sit tight you should be getting test date in few days. I got mine exactly three months and one day after file went in processing

Reactions: jangotrick

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Within 90 days if you do not get FP request or residency questionnaire, you will probably not get it. Processing to Application timelines is averaging 97 days and even extending further. Do not get worried and as Lionhearted has said, Sit tight. CIC agents are overloaded.

If you meant that PR card is expiring in Feb 2019, apply now if you have travel plans. If not, by then, you should have got your citizenship.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind comments. We are all here to support each other. I hope things work out for you soon.
I called CIC today and a very helpful agent responded. She told me that my application is routine, that the criminality check is passed, but that they are waiting for the security check results. She mentioned that things look quite normal and that they have not requested an FP request.

I think, and please correct me if I am wrong, that an urgent request cannot help with the security check. Given this, would you recommend requesting an urgent process?

You mentioned in a post recently that the Security Check is done by CSIS. Any words on how long this step usually takes and what it usually involves? Is this when they check the travel history among other things? I have traveled only once during this period and for one week (and it was to US).

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
I called CIC today and a very helpful agent responded. She told me that my application is routine, that the criminality check is passed, but that they are waiting for the security check results. She mentioned that things look quite normal and that they have not requested an FP request.

I think, and please correct me if I am wrong, that an urgent request cannot help with the security check. Given this, would you recommend requesting an urgent process?

You mentioned in a post recently that the Security Check is done by CSIS. Any words on how long this step usually takes and what it usually involves? Is this when they check the travel history among other things? I have travelled only once during this period and for one week (and it was to US).
First of all congratulations on getting some more information about your file. To your questions, you are right that request for fast track will not speed up the security checks. They are independently done by CSIS and CIC cannot influence that process.

Security check usually takes 30 to 90 days from the date of submission. Of course, you do not know when the processing office submitted the request. A slow office will submit at a later date.Call back in 2 weeks and check again. If there is anything unusual in the file, usually it will be marked as non-routine. So it seems you are in good shape that you app is routine. Security checks involves checking what info the agency already has on you and then carrying out a more detailed check with multi-national agencies. Most of these checks are database query checks but in countries where processing is paper-based, these are made using paper requests by agents in local office.So, the delays.

No, this is not the time to make an ATIP request. Wait 5-6 months into processing and then if your security is not cleared, then only request it. If you have an adverse information report on file, first your file will be marked non-routine and then you will directly get a decision made notification without getting a test notification. So, relax, give it some time. It just seems like a procedural delay.

Do speak with the immigration lawyers in any case to see how to speed up your file.

Reactions: hamoonExpressEntry

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
I applied May 7, application returned on July 4, then I have re applied on July 5 and IP was in Oct 2nd. I am aware that I am behind then May applicant. Although I've called today for my curiosity to know what stage my application at this moment. The agent told my background check has been passed already.
Does anyone know from IP normally how long background check should be passed.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
First of all congratulations on getting some more information about your file. To your questions, you are right that request for fast track will not speed up the security checks. They are independently done by CSIS and CIC cannot influence that process.

Security check usually takes 30 to 90 days from the date of submission. Of course, you do not know when the processing office submitted the request. A slow office will submit at a later date.Call back in 2 weeks and check again. If there is anything unusual in the file, usually it will be marked as non-routine. So it seems you are in good shape that you app is routine. Security checks involves checking what info the agency already has on you and then carrying out a more detailed check with multi-national agencies. Most of these checks are database query checks but in countries where processing is paper-based, these are made using paper requests by agents in local office.So, the delays.

No, this is not the time to make an ATIP request. Wait 5-6 months into processing and then if your security is not cleared, then only request it. If you have an adverse information report on file, first your file will be marked non-routine and then you will directly get a decision made notification without getting a test notification. So, relax, give it some time. It just seems like a procedural delay.

Do speak with the immigration lawyers in any case to see how to speed up your file.
Thanks so much for all this invaluable information

upandgoing

Star Member
Mar 9, 2018

You mentioned in a post recently that the Security Check is done by CSIS. Any words on how long this step usually takes and what it usually involves? Is this when they check the travel history among other things? I have traveled only once during this period and for one week (and it was to US).

When is the best time to call CIC?

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
When is the best time to call CIC?
You can call anytime during their office hour, all you have to wait at least 20-45 minutes. I have called this afternoon and waited 20 minutes. Morning is the best time to call since call volume is comparably low.

May 6, 2018
Hi Can anyone update my status to decision made 14-Nov-2018, I just check it but not sure when it was updated to decision made , also can anyone let me know where can we see what the decision .... we just get to know decision made but what it is we dont know .

Last edited:
Reactions: sunnybh