+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2018 - Citizenship Applicants

Evgenii

Feb 20, 2015
Friends,

My local office (Kitchener) is among the slowest offices based on the spreadsheet and word of mouth. Is it legal if I change my address to Edmonton (or elsewhere) where my friend lives? That way I could hope for a faster processing.

I know most people's citizenship applications are not that time sensitive, but US denies me visa because of my nationality and I had to defer my admission to a US university a couple of times by now. It is a terrible situation for people like me with the current administration in states. So the only hope I have to start school is to obtain my citizenship.
You have to submit proves for urgent processing. There was one case in July thread where a guy has already received his passport.

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Friends,

My local office (Kitchener) is among the slowest offices based on the spreadsheet and word of mouth. Is it legal if I change my address to Edmonton (or elsewhere) where my friend lives? That way I could hope for a faster processing.

I know most people's citizenship applications are not that time sensitive, but US denies me visa because of my nationality and I had to defer my admission to a US university a couple of times by now. It is a terrible situation for people like me with the current administration in states. So the only hope I have to start school is to obtain my citizenship.

Changing the address to the address where you are not residing may get you in trouble specifically in the middle of the application process. The best shot to fast track your application is to write a detailed letter and request for Urgent Processing. Cite the dates when the new courses will start and it may work.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
Changing the address to the address where you are not residing may get you in trouble specifically in the middle of the application process. The best shot to fast track your application is to write a detailed letter and request for Urgent Processing. Cite the dates when the new courses will start and it may work.
Jango and Evegeni thank you very much. Also congrats to Evegeni for DM. That is awesome.

I have considered sending an urgent request a while back but decided not to. I was worried the citizenship officer might start questioning why I am applying for citizenship when I am going to live in States for the next 4 years (in all honesty I want to come back to Canada after my studies are over). Looking back, I think that there is no basis for my concern as the Bill C-6 specifically removes the "intent to reside in Canada" requirement. Don't you guys agree with my argument?

Of course, there is no guarantee that the citizenship officer approves my urgent request. Nevertheless, I have a long letter ready to send both to citizenship as well as my Kitchener MP.

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Jango and Evegeni thank you very much. Also congrats to Evegeni for DM. That is awesome.

I have considered sending an urgent request a while back but decided not to. I was worried the citizenship officer might start questioning why I am applying for citizenship when I am going to live in States for the next 4 years (in all honesty I want to come back to Canada after my studies are over). Looking back, I think that there is no basis for my concern as the Bill C-6 specifically removes the "intent to reside in Canada" requirement. Don't you guys agree with my argument?

Of course, there is no guarantee that the citizenship officer approves my urgent request. Nevertheless, I have a long letter ready to send both to citizenship as well as my Kitchener MP.

You should frame the letter conservatively i.e. state that there is a specific course in the US and good equivalents are not in Canada. Also, you intend to build a career within Canada and that course will immensely help you. Do not mention visa denials but the potential of tightened immigration laws under the new administration. Then, cite the dates of the course and request if the application can be fast tracked as it will enable you to build a productive career in life.

Take a shot and there is 60% chance it may work out. A letter to an MP may not help. If you can, speak with an Immigration Lawyer in Kitchener who may help you frame the letter better or give you ideas. Most lawyers will happily speak with you for an hour or two without any fees.

Before you do that, also call CIC and check whether your background, security and criminality checks have been completed. If yes, things will get fast tracked even further.

Reactions: hamoonExpressEntry

lopazos

Nov 13, 2018
Hi There, please see my application details
App Type: Single
Physical days : 1106
App. Sent: Nov 1st
App. delivered : Nov 5th
AOR received : N/A
In Process:N/A

Thanks, Lopazos

Empirical

Star Member
Sep 4, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2016
Reactions: lopazos

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
You should frame the letter conservatively i.e. state that there is a specific course in the US and good equivalents are not in Canada. Also, you intend to build a career within Canada and that course will immensely help you. Do not mention visa denials but the potential of tightened immigration laws under the new administration. Then, cite the dates of the course and request if the application can be fast tracked as it will enable you to build a productive career in life.

Take a shot and there is 60% chance it may work out. A letter to an MP may not help. If you can, speak with an Immigration Lawyer in Kitchener who may help you frame the letter better or give you ideas. Most lawyers will happily speak with you for an hour or two without any fees.

Before you do that, also call CIC and check whether your background, security and criminality checks have been completed. If yes, things will get fast tracked even further.
Thanks a lot Jangotrick. Both of what you suggested are making a lot of sense. I will look for an immigration lawyer (who might even help with the US visa problem). Also will try to call CIC first thing tomorrow. I will ask about Background, Security, and Criminality.

Reactions: jangotrick

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks a lot Jangotrick. Both of what you suggested are making a lot of sense. I will look for an immigration lawyer (who might even help with the US visa problem). Also will try to call CIC first thing tomorrow. I will ask about Background, Security, and Criminality.
When you call CIC, ask them politely the following two questions. Do not push but request :

a) Is this application marked as Routine or Non-Routine?

b) Are background, security and criminal checks completed and passed?

That is, if you get an answer YES to both the above, you are good to go. Good luck and do let us know how it goes.

Reactions: hamoonExpressEntry

Capetown80

Dec 26, 2013
Hi all...Just a small update on our file.

Citizenship Test completed this afternoon in Calgary for 2 applicants.
Test passed thankfully.

Thanks for updating.
Ps..
All the best for all waiting for their next steps.

Reactions: jangotrick

AmirATM

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
When you call CIC, ask them politely the following two questions. Do not push but request :

That is, if you get an answer YES to both the above, you are good to go. Good luck and do let us know how it goes.
I called today and I actually was told that my application is indeed routine ..(without asking him) ..and few weeks ago I was told that I passed background check completed and just wait for a test .. Not sure if criminal/security check are another step? anyway ..its been exactly three months since IP ...kinda annoying... I am in Montreal ... Anyone in the same page?

Empirical

Star Member
Sep 4, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2016
I called today and I actually was told that my application is indeed routine ..(without asking him) ..and few weeks ago I was told that I passed background check completed and just wait for a test .. Not sure if criminal/security check are another step? anyway ..its been exactly three months since IP ...kinda annoying... I am in Montreal ... Anyone in the same page?
Most of us have not received a test invite yet. Why do you keep calling them?

Reactions: Supercanadian

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015

I have met many fine people on this forum in the past 7 years, but I think many on our May thread agree that you are by far the kindest, most knowledgeable, and most data-driven person around. I will let you folk know about the outcome.

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018

Background Checks are done by the officer who checks your documents and their validity, Security Check is done by CSIS and Criminality Check is done by RCMP. The answer is YES or NO to these checks. The agents can actually see in great detail what the processing officer has written on file. Next time you call, ask specifically about the three checks. This should put you at ease.

I actually spoke to a very nice agent who possibly had spoken to someone distraught over delays :). She said to me that agents work on files in round robin fashion, they are opening new files and starting processing, they are making entries for existing files, sending out requests for various checks etc. etc. Agents work on one file, then move to another, then come back to third etc. etc. which are in different stages of the applications. Same agents are pulled out for conducting tests, for grading tests and for interviewing people. Seems like they are overloading and filled up to the brim.
Some agents get simple files i.e with minimum travel history and nothing much to be done, others get complex cases. Once the agent completes the process, they queue up the file for second inspection and then a test is scheduled.

So, do not worry, the queue system will work its way. I hope you gets yours soon. Do let us know what info you get on the three checks. Ask specifically and no harm calling twice.

Last edited:

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
I have met many fine people on this forum in the past 7 years, but I think many on our May thread agree that you are by far the kindest, most knowledgeable, and most data-driven person around. I will let you folk know about the outcome.
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind comments. We are all here to support each other. I hope things work out for you soon.