+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

May 2018 - Citizenship Applicants

sunnybh

Dec 11, 2017
AOR received 12 July. Application delivered May 10. Single applicant, Mississauga.
However when I checked online my address is not the same as per form submitted. I am not sure how come CIC is using my old address as a mailing address. Home address is fine. Tried to change mailing address online but not sure how it is going to impact my application
Congrats, updated.

devpsd

Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
19-09-2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
AOR1 15-10-2016 AOR2 2-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
SA 24-10-2016
Med's Request
27-04-2017
Med's Done....
4-5-2017 (passed same day) BGC 11-05-2017 DM 13-05-2017
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
15-05-2017
I am in the same state. I have attached PR copies in my child's application. I am not sure whether they are accepting it. After AOR has been issued, won't CIC say the document is required?
Based on my 8 years of experience of CIC, they are highly unpredictable and inconsistent. i guess if they have to return the application they would do that without AOR. i got my AOR but they might ask me to submit ID online or something else. May be they gave some concession because i submitted application while they were updating their checklists in May. Only time can tell

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Good morning jangotrick,
How much time they open the APP after they received it? I haven't heared from them.:(
Currently, the timeline to open applications and issue AOR (Receipt) seems like anywhere from 54 days to 66 days. Have patience, you will receive your AOR soon.

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Hi,
Is anybody knows what is mean NON-ROUTINE and ROUTINE APP. Thank you very much in advance your feedback
Non Routine application means your application requires extra scrutiny via extended background checks, security clearances or through validation of time spent in Canada. If application is marked non-routine, it can take anywhere from 12 months to 36 months for the application to remain in pending status. Very few applications are marked non-routine.

hamoonExpressEntry

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
21-09-2015
I took the stats from all the processing applications on Canadavisa.com for 2017 and ran a median calculation across the numbers. The results showed that 296 days was median processing time (middle value in the list of all numbers), 217 was the mean (average). Fastest processing was 18 days and longest processing was 346 days. If your application took more than 296 days to process, it would be mostly non-routine application.

I did rough calculations and will try to post a more visual statistics here. The longest processing timeline was Ontario and the fastest processing was Nova Scotia followed by Alberta. I have written separately to CIC so that they can publish their own statistics rather than we tracking our cases using these numbers. It seems that they are paying attention to the suggestions but do not have the resources to publish regular statistics.

Another interesting thing I found from CIC was the urgent processing was mostly for cases where asylum seekers who were granted residence were unable to get the passport from the country of origin for travel. Rest of the urgent processing cases are usually ignored.
You are so thorough. It is just an amazing thing to have you on the May thread Jangotrick.

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
You are so thorough. It is just an amazing thing to have you on the May thread Jangotrick.
Lol :) I will not say I am thorough, I am a data science buff and have tools to easily extract information from tables or excel sheets quickly and then analyze them for patterns using "R", a data analysis software. The patterns clearly tell a story when combined with reading the news cycle. Here are some of my own observations (take them with a pinch of salt) :

a) The average time for processing applications in 2014 was around 10-11 months (300 days to 334 days). The average time reduced to 217 days in 2017. It coincided with CIC announcement that they are allocating more resources for processing applications faster in 2017. CIC has not changed the processing timeline on their site and kept it as 12 months to avoid receiving and answering multiple queries from all applicants (many of who including me have free-floating anxiety about any delays :).

b) The average time seems to be shifting to the right in 2018, but, this is possibly due to the fact that change in citizenship rules has created an influx of a large number of applications plus refugee influx has constrained resources. All indications are that the government is adding more resources to the processing centers and late 2018/early 2019, processing speeds should gravitate towards 217 (mean) to 296 (median) days.

d) It is also very clear that CIC agents processing applications are held to scrutiny on processing timeliness. If you find a cooperative call centre agent, they clearly have access to some of these statistics (way better than we have on the forum) and if they are not queued up for calls, some of these agents are happy to share their opinions.

e) Processing delays when applications become non-routine are usually the return of "extended administrative checks" status required during security checks with RCMP. CIC has no influence over this part of the check as RCMP and CSIS takes over the "extended security check from here".

f) Oath delays have occurred as there is a shortage of Citizenship judges which have been re-allocated due to the refugee influx. Watch the news cycle for this.

g) With the new fingerprinting requirement for all visitors, students and Permanent Resident applications, it is very likely that majority of the Citizenship Applicants will receive fingerprinting requests as well. Biometric data collection will become a norm for every applicant from 2019 onwards. Read this link below :

http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/718654/general+immigration/Then+And+Now+Canadas+Collection+Of+Biometric+Data

As others have said, the usual application processing timeline is 12 months, anything faster should be considered a bonus :)

Last edited:

morgos47

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Nomination.....
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
15-07-2015
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
19-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
LANDED..........
20-04-2016
Doesn't seem that citizenship applicants need to provide biometrics (which is good, as it is difficult to get an appointment and it costs $85, which is not much but it all adds up with $630 for citizenship, $40 passport pic and ~$150 for the passport processing).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=717&top=19

Last edited:

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Doesn't seem that citizenship applicants need to provide biometrics (which is good, as it is difficult to get an appointment and it cost $85, which is not much but it all adds up with $630 for citizenship, $40 passport pic and ~$150 for the passport processing).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=717&top=19
Not yet. but it is just a matter of time as passports have become biometric and biometric data mining has commenced. I am very confident that it will become a norm in 2019. Yes, it will increase the costs for everyone.

By the way, electronic fingerprinting can be done without any appointment at https://canada.morpho.com.

It is however, recommended to get this done through https://www.commissionaires.ca who also provide an appointment within 2-3 business days. Commisionares Canada sends the fingerprints directly to the RCMP processing queue of CCRTIS saving some time. Other FP processors will send the e-prints to RCMP office who will then send it to RCMP’s Canadian Criminal Real Time Information System, (CCRTIS). If there is no criminal record in Canada, the process will complete within 72 hours (3 business days) and CIC should receive the FP results within 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

ice1

Star Member
Mar 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2012
AOR Received.
06-11-2012
Passport Req..
20-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-2013
LANDED..........
05-01-2013
AOR received 12 July. Application delivered May 10. Single applicant, Mississauga.
However when I checked online my address is not the same as per form submitted. I am not sure how come CIC is using my old address as a mailing address. Home address is fine. Tried to change mailing address online but not sure how it is going to impact my application
I had a similar problem, for the mailing address it was the previous address not the current address. I did the change online and it got updated to the right address. My application was delivered on May10 and AOR on June 29.

jangotrick

Jun 26, 2018
Canadian citizenship applications surge after government relaxes language, residency rules
17,500 applications filed in week after requirements revised, compared with 3,653 in an average week

Figures from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship provided to CBC News show there was an average of 3,653 applications a week in the six months before changes were brought in Oct. 11.

The number shot up to 17,500 applications the week after the new requirements kicked in. There were 12,530 applications submitted the week after that, but data for subsequent weeks is not yet available.

In recent years, there has been an average of 200,000 citizenship applications submitted each year.

Fluctuations in application rates are expected after rule changes, so the department put resources in place to handle "surge capacity" and keep processing times below the 12-month service standard, Caron said.

Read More -

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-citizenship-increase-changes-1.4456879

Reactions: unsvn.it and harvie

nazk

Jul 9, 2018
Not yet. but it is just a matter of time as passports have become biometric and biometric data mining has commenced. I am very confident that it will become a norm in 2019. Yes, it will increase the costs for everyone.

By the way, electronic fingerprinting can be done without any appointment at https://canada.morpho.com.

It is however, recommended to get this done through https://www.commissionaires.ca who also provide an appointment within 2-3 business days. Commisionares Canada sends the fingerprints directly to the RCMP processing queue of CCRTIS saving some time. Other FP processors will send the e-prints to RCMP office who will then send it to RCMP’s Canadian Criminal Real Time Information System, (CCRTIS). If there is no criminal record in Canada, the process will complete within 72 hours (3 business days) and CIC should receive the FP results within 2-3 weeks.
Do you think it would be proactive to just get the biometrics done and just send it to them even if they don't ask for it? I don't mind paying for it just to get it done as I am getting married in January and wont be in the county from nov-feb