+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MAY 2015 Spouse Application OUTLAND

DelhiGuy

Star Member
Dec 9, 2013
Hey All,

Quick question, in the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409), the question 1B) says: "Check the box to indicate if you jointly own property other than your residence." Are they referring to a house/real estate when they say "own another property" or it can be other stuff like furniture or other joint purchases? Please advise.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
DelhiGuy said:
Hey All,

Quick question, in the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409), the question 1B) says: "Check the box to indicate if you jointly own property other than your residence." Are they referring to a house/real estate when they say "own another property" or it can be other stuff like furniture or other joint purchases? Please advise.
They must mean other real estate (vacation homes, business venues). In the context of this legalese this is probably what they mean. Since they said 'not your own residence'.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
JamesinCanada said:
I think I got this same EMail. I posted the email in another thread I started (it's still in the front page somewhere, I just updated it.) I noticed you said you made a photocopy - did you send the original? They only accept original. If you sent the FBI later, I am thinking they may not have connected our FBI clearances with our apps yet.

Another possibility is that my FBI clearance was dated June, 10, 2015. It says they are good for six months, which will be December 10. However, I am a weird case because even though I'm outland, I have been using visitor extensions to live with my husband in Canada. I've never actually lived in the USA for the past couple of years. I think I read they can use your clearance for longer if you have not lived in the country.

They did send me an EMail today telling me that they DO have all the required documents at this time.

I'm just not sure what to think at this point.
Ugh. Sounds like you and I are the same. I've been in Canada since June of 2013. I sent in the original with my application, not separately - in reference to talking about a copy, I was saying that I didn't think to make a photocopy so I have no proof aside from the FBI charging my visa.

Did you just send a response directly back to them? I replied to their email with as much "proof" as I could provide and asked if they could verify whether they have lost/misplaced my FBI clearance or not, or if the email was mistakenly sent to me. Their reply email said it can take up to 20 days for a response but I'm hoping against all hope that they'll get back to me quickly. I called to ask and spoke to a really nice lady but she said she couldn't see anything on my application since it's being processed through Ottawa and suggested I email them sooo hopefully that'll get the answers I need!

Hopefully this will get cleared up quickly, I'm going to lose my damn mind if they've lost my clearance because I had the most amazingly put together application haha.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
fruitball4u said:
Ugh. Sounds like you and I are the same. I've been in Canada since June of 2013. I sent in the original with my application, not separately - in reference to talking about a copy, I was saying that I didn't think to make a photocopy so I have no proof aside from the FBI charging my visa.

Did you just send a response directly back to them? I replied to their email with as much "proof" as I could provide and asked if they could verify whether they have lost/misplaced my FBI clearance or not, or if the email was mistakenly sent to me. Their reply email said it can take up to 20 days for a response but I'm hoping against all hope that they'll get back to me quickly. I called to ask and spoke to a really nice lady but she said she couldn't see anything on my application since it's being processed through Ottawa and suggested I email them sooo hopefully that'll get the answers I need!

Hopefully this will get cleared up quickly, I'm going to lose my damn mind if they've lost my clearance because I had the most amazingly put together application haha.
Okay so this is what's happened so far. I replied twice. Once was just myself sending a simple EMail, explaining the situation. I included my UCI, App number, and full name. I completed fudged the correct subject line without realizing it. I then sent them a case specific inquiry. This one I included everything, including proof that the package was received and signed for, the signature of the signer at the office, and a scanned copy of my FBI clearance letter. They did NOT reply to this inquiry request (yet at least). However, today sometime, I received a reply from my original simple email. Here is the reply:

------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Our office confirms that your application is at our office and is being processed as per our regulatory timeline. Please note that we cannot confirm when your file will be ready for finalization.

We do not require any information from you at the present time. An officer will contact you if further information is required. Please ensure when submitting documents that they are still valid and will not expire within six (6) months as this could delay your application.

Please consult our Website for information regarding our processing times:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

For your information, the processing times, provided on the website, is the average time it took visa offices to approve or refuse 80 percent of applications during a specified period in the past. They may not accurately predict future processing times.

We appreciate your patience and ask that you keep correspondence with our office to a minimum. In order to process requests efficiently, we will not be responding to duplicate requests.

Regards,

TP*****
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

---------

If that number/code above counts as personal information I will remove it.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
JamesinCanada said:
Okay so this is what's happened so far. I replied twice. Once was just myself sending a simple EMail, explaining the situation. I included my UCI, App number, and full name. I completed fudged the correct subject line without realizing it. I then sent them a case specific inquiry. This one I included everything, including proof that the package was received and signed for, the signature of the signer at the office, and a scanned copy of my FBI clearance letter. They did NOT reply to this inquiry request (yet at least). However, today sometime, I received a reply from my original simple email. Here is the reply:

------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Our office confirms that your application is at our office and is being processed as per our regulatory timeline. Please note that we cannot confirm when your file will be ready for finalization.

We do not require any information from you at the present time. An officer will contact you if further information is required. Please ensure when submitting documents that they are still valid and will not expire within six (6) months as this could delay your application.

Please consult our Website for information regarding our processing times:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

For your information, the processing times, provided on the website, is the average time it took visa offices to approve or refuse 80 percent of applications during a specified period in the past. They may not accurately predict future processing times.

We appreciate your patience and ask that you keep correspondence with our office to a minimum. In order to process requests efficiently, we will not be responding to duplicate requests.

Regards,

TP14921
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

---------

If that number/code above counts as personal information I will remove it.
Ugh, well I was a total idiot and didn't make a photocopy of my fbi report. I did everything else and had so much stuff saved, I don't know how I managed to screw THAT up. I'll send a case specific inquiry as well I suppose and attach what little I do have showing that I did it. Hopefully that'll be sufficient.

:/

If not I'm going to be kicking myself for the next five months for not making a copy of it, lol.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
When was your original clearance dated?

See on the instructions for outland apps, it says that the original clearance must be dated no more than 6 months ago. Mine is seriously on the edge. On December 10th, it will have been six months.

BUT you and I (I'm James' wife by the way, we share this account) have both been in Canada for a long time. BEFORE the clearance was issued. It also says on the instructions that if you are not currently living in that country then your clearance must be then at least *after* you left the country. Maybe 10 years ago wouldn't work, but over 6 months I'm guessing won't be a problem. I'm hoping they'll check our records and see we haven't left Canada. I've been updating my visitor extension every six months as needed, and it will show from their records I bet that I never crossed the border again once I came here in 2014.

What I am wondering with both of us, is if they looked at the dates and got worried, sent us a little warning that our clearance might be expiring before they get to our stack for decisions. I hope and pray that they will realize we are not living in America now and haven't been since our clearance was issued. If not, we have to provide some proof or at least an explanation.

Keep up with me, though, post in this thread if you get news on this, a DM, or correspondence. Please!

Also, just of note, they actually replied to my email with no proof at all. The inquiry with tons of proof has yet to be replied to, since it takes them a very long time to get around to these. I would highly suggest you EMail them and let them know your situation with the clearance. I'm taking my Email as a good sign, so hopefully we're both going to be in the clear here.

I am worried that our apps may have been pushed back 60 days, though. I really hope not!

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
I emailed them yesterday as well and attached my proof of payment, a photograph of my actual application that shows exactly where the document was, and a snippet of my case notes showing my criminality and security listed as a 1 instead of a 0. I still haven't received anything back from them.

Just sent out a case specific inquiry as well with all the same information, but I wouldn't expect any replies from them as it looks like they won't answer if you're still within the normal time frames.

It's so frustrating because everywhere I go it's basically saying, "Nope, can't help you, sorry". Either because we haven't passed some magical number, or because our application is being processed in Ottawa. Ugh. The worst.

I also haven't left Canada in a long time - the last time was September of 2014, way before I did my FBI check and sent in my application (May 2015), so hopefully we won't have any issues with that. I specifically have been staying in Canada for that exact reason (plus peace of mind since they aren't "required" to let you back into the country even WITH a visitor permit).

I just received my visitor permit (good for a year) back in August. If you apply online you can request longer (but hopefully you will just get your PR quickly and not need to do that!). :)

And yes, let's keep each other updated - you can send me a PM if you want and we can keep in touch. I went from being so excited that our apps were almost finished to feeling like someone punched me in the stomach. Of all things for them to screw up it just HAD to be the one that will take another six months to straighten out, eh? Thanks, CIC.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
fruitball4u said:
I went from being so excited that our apps were almost finished to feeling like someone punched me in the stomach. Of all things for them to screw up it just HAD to be the one that will take another six months to straighten out, eh? Thanks, CIC.
I hear that. Same here. I'm hoping it'll be sorted out. I guess the worst case is we'll get our PR much later than everyone else in our group. I don't think we'll be denied, though.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
JamesinCanada said:
I hear that. Same here. I'm hoping it'll be sorted out. I guess the worst case is we'll get our PR much later than everyone else in our group. I don't think we'll be denied, though.
Well, I haven't gotten any emails back from CIC yet, but I emailed our local MP and they called back almost immediately. I've got a meeting with them on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll be able to get something sorted out! I'll update when I hear anything new.

extreme001

Star Member
Jan 5, 2015
White Plains, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 19, 2015
AOR Received.
June 11, 2015
File Transfer...
July 27, 2015, IP: October 9, 2015, DM: November 26, 2015
Med's Done....
April 29, 2015
Passport Req..
November 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
December 8, 2015
LANDED..........
January 23, 2016 (YVR Airport)
I have received the "Ready For visa - Prêt Pour Visa" email asking for my passport to stamp an immigrant visa within 30 days.

I need to prepare the following documents:

1. Passport
2. One self-addressed, pre-paid envelope with your complete mailing address so that we can return your passport(s) and Confirmation of Permanent Residence documents. Please see details in step 3.
3. One copy of this letter.

Step 3:

If you have a mailing address in the U.S.A.:

- The self-addressed, pre-paid envelope should be arranged with a courier that delivers between Canada and the U.S.A.

- Submit all documents by mail in a single package and send to the following address:

CPC – Ottawa – PR

365 Laurier Avenue West

Ottawa ON

K1A 1L1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is, how do I prepare this self-addressed, pre-paid envelope with the US courier? Does Fedex support this kind of service?

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
fruitball4u said:
Well, I haven't gotten any emails back from CIC yet, but I emailed our local MP and they called back almost immediately. I've got a meeting with them on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll be able to get something sorted out! I'll update when I hear anything new.
Awesome! Keep us updated!

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
fruitball4u said:
Hey fruit - Check your Ecas! Today I got this fourth line.

It might be nothing, but a lot of people are saying that at the LEAST the fourth line means your case is active (they haven't dumped us into the naughty pile...) At the best it means we might be getting a decision soon!

Does your ecas look like this? Try this weekend. Mine was updated sometime Friday evening, at a time you'd imagine was after hours.

We received your application for permanent residence on May 25, 2015.

We started processing your application on August 4, 2015.

Medical results have been received.

We sent you correspondence on November 25, 2015. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

------

The day I got my letter about clearance was on Nov. 25th exactly. I don't know if this is good or bad. Aggh, my emotions are a roller coaster man!

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
JamesinCanada said:
Hey fruit - Check your Ecas! Today I got this fourth line.

It might be nothing, but a lot of people are saying that at the LEAST the fourth line means your case is active (they haven't dumped us into the naughty pile...) At the best it means we might be getting a decision soon!

Does your ecas look like this? Try this weekend. Mine was updated sometime Friday evening, at a time you'd imagine was after hours.

We received your application for permanent residence on May 25, 2015.

We started processing your application on August 4, 2015.

We sent you correspondence on November 25, 2015. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

------

The day I got my letter about clearance was on Nov. 25th exactly. I don't know if this is good or bad. Aggh, my emotions are a roller coaster man!
Well, hey, I got that too:

We received your application for permanent residence on May 20, 2015.
We started processing your application on July 27, 2015.
We sent you correspondence on November 26, 2015. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

Interesting. I wonder if they made a mistake with mine as well? The only way they wouldn't have my FBI report is if they lost/misplaced it. Which I mean...it could happen, I guess, but I really hope not!

Ineffable

Jan 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 5, 2015
Doc's Request.
October 23, 2015
AOR Received.
June 3, 2015
File Transfer...
July 7, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
March 21, 2015
Interview........
IP: Oct. 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 14, 2015
LANDED..........
Nov. 28, 2015
Landed today at the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara!

My spouse and I took a train in from Toronto since we don't have a car and neither of us wanted to drive/incur the stress. So, we crossed the bridge on foot, returned back to Canada, and waited over 2 hours before we were seen by a CBSA agent.

It seems that in the hierarchy of who gets seen first, landings are last. ;) We watched an entire room fill up and then empty before my name was called. This is why I always pack snacks. :p

For anyone planning on crossing at that location—unless someone else recently did it and has a differing timeline—definitely budget 2 hours or more (and hope for less) at Rainbow Bridge in the middle of the day! Thankfully, I booked the later train back to Toronto.

The CBSA agent was really friendly and thorough. She also pointed out that I may not be able to use my COPR to return to Canada via flight/airport unless cleared by the airline. I'm headed home to FL for Christmas—sooner than my PR card will arrive—so I'm going to have to call West Jet tomorrow to confirm that I can use my COPR to come back into Canada in January. (She said it was up to airlines.) Otherwise, I'll have to change my flight to Buffalo, rent a car, and drive across the border. COPR is okay for land border crossings but iffy to not permitted with flight. Who knew?

Going to post this in the US Thread too to see if anyone has successfully used their COPR to return to Canada after activating PR via flight.

Hoping next week brings more DMs for the May group!

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
Ineffable said:
Landed today at the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara!
Congrats to you and also your spouse! You both must be soooo happy! :) Thanks for the tips on landing, too!