Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
Now who’s assuming too much?

There is absolutely nothing in my text that could lead anyone reasonable to assume I am xenophobic. I don’t deal with absolutes. Embracing and integrating the culture of the country you chose to live does not mean (and I never implied) abandoning your own culture or religion.

How can I be xenophobic? I am an immigrant, for crying out loud! I am a son and grandson of immigrants as well.

MiriamT said:
Just out of curiosity: how familiar are you with Indigenous Canadian history, customs, religious beliefs, languages and more?
I am a person extremely interest in history, cultures and politics. So, since before getting my PR (back in 2011) I’ve been doing my best to study and understand the history behind Canada. I know less than I wish, but I know somewhat. And I really don’t know where this came from.

MiriamT said:
For someone with such strong opinions in being a part of this country (hint: maintaining one's religion isn't mutually exclusive with being Canadian, and Canada isn't a christian country, i.e. the State is secular - in terms, it does "recognize the supremacy of God" in the Constitution, which should be changed to reflect full secularity in my opinion - even if the majority of the country follows a specific religion)
I never said otherwise about maintaining your own culture/religion. My (simple) text was about REFUSING to be part of a new one (culture, that is).

I also never said that Canada is a Christian country, did I? I said, and I quote, “Canada celebrates Christmas. It is not even a religious celebration anymore; it's just a big cultural festivity.”

It’s pretty clear what I said, right? Canada CELEBRATES a CULTURAL FESTIVITY. I honestly don’t know how to be more clear than that.

I am VERY aware what a secular state is, thank you. Half of my life I fought for that cause in my old country.

MiriamT said:
I'll make it simple and bring only the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
That’s adorable. It is sweet when people try to play the victim. You are trying to play the “you don’t want me to practice my religion” card.

I never said anything of you or anyone else not being able to practice they own religion or celebrating whatever they thing they should.
Again, my criticism was ONLY about refusing to be part of the cultural innocent festivities of the country the chose to live. It is as simple as that.

I actually love multi-culturalism. What I don’t like is... well, I guess I made myself clear enough by now.

MiriamT said:
Also, Bigudi, please don't forget to direct your rant to the current PM who wished us a Happy New Year: http://www.conservative.ca/statement-by-prime-minister-stephen-harper-to-mark-rosh-hashanah/

And last year, using a *gasp* CANADIAN government website to do the same: http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2014/09/24/statement-prime-minister-canada-rosh-hashanah

Outrageous, innit?
Not at all. It is great, actually! He is doing exactly what I am saying. He is embracing different cultures and plurality.
You should follow the example. Do you say “Merry Christmas” for those who celebrate it as a religious occasion?

Summing up, I believe when people move to another country they should go the extra mile to embrace the new cultures (without abandoning their own) and participate in the main cultural events of that place. I believe they should not move to another country to enclose themselves in exclusive-culture-neighborhoods, just interact with people from they own previous culture and never integrate.
This really doesn’t sound that crazy for me.

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
But seriously, MiriamT. Peace.

I wish you nothing but the best. And may we all enjoy our citizenship the way we see fit.

Cheers!

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Bigudi said:
Now who's assuming too much?

There is absolutely nothing in my text that could lead anyone reasonable to assume I am xenophobic. I don't deal with absolutes. Embracing and integrating the culture of the country you chose to live does not mean (and I never implied) abandoning your own culture or religion.

How can I be xenophobic? I am an immigrant, for crying out loud! I am a son and grandson of immigrants as well.

I am a person extremely interest in history, cultures and politics. So, since before getting my PR (back in 2011) I've been doing my best to study and understand the history behind Canada. I know less than I wish, but I know somewhat. And I really don't know where this came from.

I never said otherwise about maintaining your own culture/religion. My (simple) text was about REFUSING to be part of a new one (culture, that is).
Even if one isn't part of the dominant culture, they can still engage in different types of lateral aggression. In this one particular situation, I did say it was an engagement in xenophobic speech, which yes an immigrant can still emulate even if one can't be considered xenophobic from a Sociological standpoint. "Conform or go back to where you came from" type of speech, however veiled it might be, is exactly this.

I think it's great that you aim to be an informed person, I'd highly suggest you to continue working on that (as we all should).

Bigudi said:
I also never said that Canada is a Christian country, did I? I said, and I quote, “Canada celebrates Christmas. It is not even a religious celebration anymore; it's just a big cultural festivity.”

It's pretty clear what I said, right? Canada CELEBRATES a CULTURAL FESTIVITY. I honestly don't know how to be more clear than that.
What's the origin of the celebration? To think that something so religiously-charged is strictly cultural is to engage in denial of privilege that a certain group holds.

I'd recommend several readings, but they're all too long and not everyone has that much time in their hands, but I'd ask you to think about that (seeing a certain demographic as default, for example). On the short side of readings, I can recommend this: http://tinyurl.com/o2pyh2a (not a virus, I promise; also, short in length).

Bigudi said:
I am VERY aware what a secular state is, thank you. Half of my life I fought for that cause in my old country.
That's great.

Bigudi said:
That's adorable. It is sweet when people try to play the victim. You are trying to play the “you don't want me to practice my religion” card.
That's untrue and has faulty reasoning. I've never done that, and I never would — others practicing their faith (whichever they may be), be it openly or not (or not even having one), does not hurt me in any way.

Bigudi said:
I never said anything of you or anyone else not being able to practice they own religion or celebrating whatever they thing they should.
Again, my criticism was ONLY about refusing to be part of the cultural innocent festivities of the country the chose to live. It is as simple as that.

I actually love multi-culturalism. What I don't like is... well, I guess I made myself clear enough by now.
And I responded critically to what was said. I strongly believe in each and every one of us being able to choose what's better for them without being forced to anything. Loving multiculturalism is also accepting the different. For example, I partake in Canada Day festivities, while many of my Indigenous friends and colleagues do not (and, since we interact in a highly academic setting, I get to read their essays on that).

Bigudi said:
Not at all. It is great, actually! He is doing exactly what I am saying. He is embracing different cultures and plurality.
That was sarcasm. Although by now I should understand that not everyone can pick up on it easily (or at all), since not everyone's brain has the same makeup, i.e. some of us aren't neurotypical (e.g. I myself am autistic, under the old definition I'd be categorized as "Asperger's," while I can sometimes pick up on certain cues - such as sarcasm -, many of those around me can't).

Bigudi said:
You should follow the example. Do you say “Merry Christmas” for those who celebrate it as a religious occasion?
I do (and also send cards - and may give a present - depending on my relationship with the person), but I don't think this is relevant on a larger scale.

I also may attend some of those kind of festivities if they're relevant/important to my partner (if around those festivities I'm dating someone), and I also welcome the person I'm dating to get involved in the ones I do although I don't expect or don't directly/indirectly push them to (it's always their choice whether they want to tag along or not). So far I've mostly dated Scots-Irish men from Catholic households (whether they were Catholic themselves, or Atheist with a Catholic family), the whole "pulling the card of 'you're not practicing my religion'" is a bogus claim - not that this is necessary to make that statement a fallacy when what was brought was that the right to religion is a constitutionally protected right or freedom in this country.

Bigudi said:
Summing up, I believe when people move to another country they should go the extra mile to embrace the new cultures (without abandoning their own) and participate in the main cultural events of that place. I believe they should not move to another country to enclose themselves in exclusive-culture-neighborhoods, just interact with people from they own previous culture and never integrate.
This really doesn't sound that crazy for me.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Bigudi said:
But seriously, MiriamT. Peace.

I wish you nothing but the best. And may we all enjoy our citizenship the way we see fit.

Cheers!
You said something, I responded, you responded, I responded, and so on... This is how conversations (and public or private forums) tend to work. If you think I was attacking you or wish you harm (or whatever it may be), then you missed the point.

I just don't believe that in order to be considered a contributing member of society one must conform to arbitrary standards (e.g. having to assimilate into the dominant portion of society, forcefully celebrating holidays that aren't meaningful to them). Speaking for myself, I contribute to Canadian society on a daily-basis both on a smaller (like everyone else) and - or so I like to believe - on a larger scale by means of dealing directly with social justice issues through activism, as well as indirectly through my beginning academic work - my background is in Sociology (specifically Criminology as well as Gender Studies) but have gone back to college to gain more background in Philosophy) - which will hopefully lead to one day teaching at a post-secondary institution. I don't think that anyone is any less regardless of what kind of contribution they're able to give, and I'll never support a group impinging on another group's rights and freedoms or that kind of mentality. That's all.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
ari5323 said:
Shabat shalom and shana tova Miriam,
May we all be written in the book of life, an happy and healthy year, amen
Likewise. Shana tova u'metuka!!

Also, I've always thought you were Israeli (it's the way you write things). Did I get it wrong? I don't want to have this thread entirely derailed with side conversations that don't pertain to May applications, if you'd like to chat send me a private message. :)

jassi_cool1980

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2011
guleph on
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
8 bands
File Transfer...
march 2010
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
march 2011
LANDED..........
9'th of june 2011
yivet said:
Just checked my on line status: IP :) have not received any email.
No they don't send email for ip

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
yivet said:
Just checked my on line status: IP :) have not received any email.
congrats Yivet, we are all happy for you

legolas

Jul 21, 2015
Brampton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-01-2012
I finally got my status to "In Process" :). There was a delay in ECAS by 3 days. My file went "In Process" on Sept 10. But it didn't show "In Process" until today morning.

oren

May 8, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well that's a first... Finally first non-Vancouver test invite. Congrats to your son.
Badshah bhai said:
my son Kuro got the test invite from surrey bc office. his test date is 29-09-2015. Please add the information on the sheet and oblige.
Congrats to all who went In Process ;)

ari5323

Mar 31, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
12-07-2010
LANDED..........
Dec-08-2011
legolas said:
I finally got my status to "In Process" :). There was a delay in ECAS by 3 days. My file went "In Process" on Sept 10. But it didn't show "In Process" until today morning.
Congrats Mr Lego-las

we are over 75 IP wowowo

rfirmeza

Jul 8, 2015
Hey guys, when CIC sets the test date, it will be a firm date and that's it, there is no changing or rescheduling correct?

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
rfirmeza said:
Hey guys, when CIC sets the test date, it will be a firm date and that's it, there is no changing or rescheduling correct?
If you are going on vacation or have a legitimate reason for missing the test you can call and inform CIC, based on your reason if accepted you will be rescheduled. The new date will depend on your local office.