+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage on visiting visa !!!

masthi

Apr 1, 2019
Hi,

I have a marriage match from Canada, which is genuine. The lady is a Canada citizen and I am an Indian citizen.
Both the families are happy with each other and would like to arrange a marriage ceremony in Canada.

I have read forums and many other websites, informing that in order to get married, I have to travel to Canada on visiting visa or on a tourist visa.

1. I am not sure which visa is the best suite for me and my family to enter Canada.
2. For visiting visa, I was informed that stating the reason as 'visiting the fiance' or 'seeking for marriage' would create unnecessary problems and red flags and even rejection of TRV
3. what would be the best reason to state without red flags, so that once we reach Canada, both the families wanted to arrange the marriage ceremony as per our culture and the lady would like to apply for spouse sponsorship for me.so that we both could stay together while the process takes place.

please inform me of the best suggestion possible so that I can make things work for both the families.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
A visitor's visa is by definition for a temporary stay. If you say you are trying to come in on a visitor's visa and stay forever, you will be denied. In addition, it sounds like this is an arranged marriage with someone you haven't really met.. that will be seen as extremely suspicious by IRCC since you could be getting married just to get into Canada.

Please note that I'm not saying that this is the case - it's just what it will look like to the Officer.

I'm deleting what I wrote here since it's probably not the best advice. Follow the thread below.

Last edited:

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

I have a marriage match from Canada, which is genuine. The lady is a Canada citizen and I am an Indian citizen.
Both the families are happy with each other and would like to arrange a marriage ceremony in Canada.

I have read forums and many other websites, informing that in order to get married, I have to travel to Canada on visiting visa or on a tourist visa.

1. I am not sure which visa is the best suite for me and my family to enter Canada.
2. For visiting visa, I was informed that stating the reason as 'visiting the fiance' or 'seeking for marriage' would create unnecessary problems and red flags and even rejection of TRV
3. what would be the best reason to state without red flags, so that once we reach Canada, both the families wanted to arrange the marriage ceremony as per our culture and the lady would like to apply for spouse sponsorship for me.so that we both could stay together while the process takes place.

please inform me of the best suggestion possible so that I can make things work for both the families.
Visiting visa and tourist visa are the same thing. How many family members from India would you like to attend from your side? It is much easier for Canadians to get a visa for India than for Indians to get a visa for Canada. If you are successful in getting a visa with your family be prepared to have a wedding where some of your family will not be able to attend because they were denied.

Also I do not recommend doing what 21goose mentioned above, if you are going to do a wedding in India I would do one with all the ceremonies so you can attach pictures of guests and pictures of all of the different rituals you did. Even pictures of your honeymoon etc....this would make the marriage seem more genuine considering it was arranged.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Visiting visa and tourist visa are the same thing. How many family members from India would you like to attend from your side? It is much easier for Canadians to get a visa for India than for Indians to get a visa for Canada. If you are successful in getting a visa with your family be prepared to have a wedding where some of your family will not be able to attend because they were denied.

Also I do not recommend doing what 21goose mentioned above, if you are going to do a wedding in India I would do one with all the ceremonies so you can attach pictures of guests and pictures of all of the different rituals you did. Even pictures of your honeymoon etc....this would make the marriage seem more genuine considering it was arranged.

Edit - Ignore what I say below. I’m wrong about this.

——
Quick note - if you have a marriage certificate issued by a competent legal authority, you do not need anything else to prove genuineness of your marriage. As long as the officer accepts that the certificate is genuine and not faked, you don't need rituals and pictures and all that.

Last edited:

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Quick note - if you have a marriage certificate issued by a competent legal authority, you do not need anything else to prove genuineness of your marriage. As long as the officer accepts that the certificate is genuine and not faked, you don't need rituals and pictures and all that.
Maybe I should rephrase what I meant, yes the marriage would be 100% legal you are correct. But you have to also prove the genuineness of the relationship and that it is not for immigration purposes.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Maybe I should rephrase what I meant, yes the marriage would be 100% legal you are correct. But you have to also prove the genuineness of the relationship and that it is not for immigration purposes.
Yeah, that's right. Fair point.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Yeah, that's right. Fair point.
I believe I have read on this forum where a couple were questioned, why they didn't have pictures of a "normal" indian wedding, why were family members or the community not made aware. Something that you would for genuine relationship but perhaps keep under wraps for immigration fraud.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Entirely dependent on the cultural norms and having proof of a genuine relationship. A civil ceremony in India is a huge red flag and can easily result in a refusal, especially with an arranged marriage. They need to have the full traditional wedding with all of the ceremonies.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Entirely dependent on the cultural norms and having proof of a genuine relationship. A civil ceremony in India is a huge red flag and can easily result in a refusal, especially with an arranged marriage. They need to have the full traditional wedding with all of the ceremonies.
I guess if your case is suspicious to begin with, such as an arranged marriage. Otherwise I know plenty of people (including myself) who've had civil ceremonies and been approved for both US Spousal Visas as well as Canadian PR.

Still, I acknowledge the main thrust of the argument. If your case is slightly dodgy to begin with, you better not raise any other red flags.

I hereby rescind my advice in the earlier post :)

Reactions: Jets13

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

1. Based on your post, it seems you have not met the lady. This is a huge red flag.

2. Marrying on your first visit or the shortly after you meet for the first time is another huge red flag.

3. How well do you know each other is the key thing? And, this 'getting to know each other' means without members of either family as intermediaries.

4. Is the lady of Indian origin? How did she/you contact each other? Is she of the same age group as yourself or much older than you? Is she familiar with your local traditions and culture?

Sorry. Not sure what the real deal is here but it seems like a marriage of convenience to facilitate your immigration

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is not true.

The visa officer will scrutinize all evidence provided to prove it is a genuine marriage/a genuine relationship. Merely including a marriage certificate won't establish that it is a genuine relationship

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
This is not true.

The visa officer will scrutinize all evidence provided to prove it is a genuine marriage/a genuine relationship. Merely including a marriage certificate won't establish that it is a genuine relationship
Yes, you’re right. I just edited my post so that people don’t get confused later.

Reactions: Bryanna

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
1. Based on your post, it seems you have not met the lady. This is a huge red flag.

2. Marrying on your first visit or the shortly after you meet for the first time is another huge red flag.

3. How well do you know each other is the key thing? And, this 'getting to know each other' means without members of either family as intermediaries.

4. Is the lady of Indian origin? How did she/you contact each other? Is she of the same age group as yourself or much older than you? Is she familiar with your local traditions and culture?

Sorry. Not sure what the real deal is here but it seems like a marriage of convenience to facilitate your immigration
Now though more and more uncommon these days it is still possible that some conservative families go this route. My parents didn't even get to talk to each other and were just introduced 3 days prior..and they are well past 40 years now.......but those were different times and immigration was different back then too.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Now though more and more uncommon these days it is still possible that some conservative families go this route. My parents didn't even get to talk to each other and were just introduced 3 days prior..and they are well past 40 years now.......but those were different times and immigration was different back then too.
In today's world, it is difficult to believe that someone will agree to an arranged marriage without even knowing/meeting the other person. It does not happen even in the villages.

I have personally seen families 'negotiating' (yup money and goodies) to bring a 'spouse' to Canada on their Canadian passport.

Let's consider this situation from the Canadian lady's perspective:
It's incredulous if she agreed to marrying this guy without knowing or meeting him in person. Didn't think that someone from Canada would walk into an arranged marriage with a complete stranger only because both families agreed

Last edited:
Reactions: Copingwithlife

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
In today's world, it is difficult to believe that someone will agree to an arranged marriage without even knowing/meeting the other person. It does not happen even in the villages.

I have personally seen families 'negotiating' (yup money and goodies) to bring a 'spouse' to Canada on their Canadian passport.

Let's consider this situation from the Canadian lady's perspective:
It's incredulous if she agreed to marrying this guy without knowing or meeting him in person. Didn't think that someone from Canada would walk into an arranged marriage with a complete stranger only because both families agreed
It happened in my moms village just in 2016. The girl is from my moms village and actually our neighbor, and the guy is now a resident in Europe. The fact that he is now in Europe and settled was enough to make it happen. It would have been extremely difficult for her to say no. Not saying that I agree but it happens still. When there is an arrangement the couple is given time to talk to see if they like each other, they are given time but not nearly enough by our western standards.

Openly dating for girls in our area is still a very big no no if caught. . What we see more and more is they have a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship in secret, it gets to the point where they want to get married, so then they find a mutual family friend who introduces the families and the couples can "meet" for the first time lol....then the parents think it was all arranged and their honor intact and the couple gets to get married. I saw that unfold while I was there, it was funny because the boy had to pretend he was thinking about it and then said "well if the family is ok with it who am I to object" lol. The families still thought it was perfectly ok to set this wedding up with them meeting once, even though we knew they didn't.....so it still can happen.

Opening poster never mentioned that they didn't talk, the Canadian lady could also have recently got her citizenship so she may have grown up with these values too. But still that doesn't change much either, I am born and raised in Canada, hockey loving(go Jets go!) beer drinking maple syrup eating Canadian, and I only met my wife 3 times in person before our wedding was set. That isn't normal for a typical Canadian either, so if I can do that as a male, its possible that a female who could feel more pressure from her family to agree to such a marriage.

Edit: thought of another example that took place in October 2018 while I was there for a wedding. The boys family went to go see the girl, the families were ok with it, the girls side liked the boy and the boys side liked the girl. The girls side asked the boys side lets discuss the arrangement (read dowry), any respectful person doesn't make demands these days but it is still something the girls side asks as a formality (even my family was asked and we obviously said nothing just the girl). The boys side said....actually we want nothing we don't need you to put on a big wedding or anything we are ok with taking the girl home now! They literally same day went to get wedding outfits got them married and brought the bride home. No expense for either side, no guests invited outside the people that were there. They just went to the temple and got married.