+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage for canadian to stay

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a US citizen and my gf is Canadian. I'm not sure about our relationship lasting but I know she would love to live in the U.S. and work there so I want her to have that option. My question is though, if we got married now and she applied for her green card, we went to the states for a few months to work, and then I decided that we should just be friends but she wanted to stay in the U.S. also ..is that possible? I think you must stay married for 2 years for her to be able to keep her green card and I would still stay legally married to her even though we werent together if she wanted to stay. Is that possible? Any info please.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Entering or staying in a marriage for any for of immigration benefit is considered fraud. i would think long and hard about marrying someone if you're truly not in love.

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
I second that. It might be a generous act now but you would have serious disadvantages to do so in the future. Could you go through the whole process which is usually not like a piece of cake if you are not totally commited to her?

SimpleMan

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
acer925 said:
I am a US citizen and my gf is Canadian. I'm not sure about our relationship lasting but I know she would love to live in the U.S. and work there so I want her to have that option. My question is though, if we got married now and she applied for her green card, we went to the states for a few months to work, and then I decided that we should just be friends but she wanted to stay in the U.S. also ..is that possible? I think you must stay married for 2 years for her to be able to keep her green card and I would still stay legally married to her even though we werent together if she wanted to stay. Is that possible? Any info please.
This is fraud, and you can go to jail for doing this. Just google this, and you will see that there are people arrested for marriage fraud everyday in the US, even after many many years, and even if these people are now US citizens. If you got your green card through fraud, they will put those people in jail and take away their US citizenship.

Don't risk your future for your friend.

Lila

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it me or has there been a whole lot of this "fraud" stuff on this forum lately. I'm sick!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Besides which, this is not a US Immigration forum . . . you should go ask this question at Visajourney.com They deal with US immigration matters, we deal with Canadian immigration matters. But I agree with the general consensus: if your Canadian girlfriend would "love" to immigrate to the United States, she should look into ways of accomplishing that that don't involve marrying you. That is fraud - whether she's going there, or you're trying to come to Canada - and it makes it a lot harder on the rest of us, who are in genuine relationships and have to undergo increased scrutiny because of people like you who are looking to scam the system. So don't be offended when you don't get a lot of sympathy or advice from us on how to accomplish that.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How could it be fraud if we truly love each other? There are other issues at hand (she cannot have children for one) that make the relationship lasting questionable. Granted when you get married you must have the intention of staying together forever, so does that mean they arrest every person in my situation who's marriage doesn't last for whatever reason? So your basically saying we MUST stay married even if we wanted to break up? Im sure theres millions of people who have done this and it just didnt work out for whatever reason..why is my case any different? We are not just "people getting married" we truly love each other but lasting long term, I dont know. Do they have a love test or what? I dont get how they differentiate fraud from a marriage just not working out for whatever reason. Please elaborate.

SimpleMan

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
acer925 said:
How could it be fraud if we truly love each other? There are other issues at hand (she cannot have children for one) that make the relationship lasting questionable. Granted when you get married you must have the intention of staying together forever, so does that mean they arrest every person in my situation who's marriage doesn't last for whatever reason? So your basically saying we MUST stay married even if we wanted to break up? Im sure theres millions of people who have done this and it just didnt work out for whatever reason..why is my case any different? We are not just "people getting married" we truly love each other but lasting long term, I dont know. Do they have a love test or what? I dont get how they differentiate fraud from a marriage just not working out for whatever reason. Please elaborate.
I see now, you say that your marriage is not long lasting, but it will last until she gets her green card. This sounds like a real marriage and real love!!! How much is she paying you for the green card marriage?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is being said is...

Do not plan to get married for immigration purposes, it is fraud - this is what you implied in your post.

I and many others (including immigration officers) would doubt that you "truly love each other", on the basis that you said "I'm not sure about our relationship lasting".
Not a good start for a marriage !

If I am asked "what would you do if your application to Canada is refused ?", my reply (and that of my wife) would be, "we will move to another country".
Our purpose is to be together, not to move to a country just because we like it.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SimpleMan said:
I see now, you say that your marriage is not long lasting, but it will last until she gets her green card. This sounds like a real marriage and real love!!! How much is she paying you for the green card marriage?

100% - well stated.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
What is being said is...

Do not plan to get married for immigration purposes, it is fraud - this is what you implied in your post.

I and many others (including immigration officers) would doubt that you "truly love each other", on the basis that you said "I'm not sure about our relationship lasting".
Not a good start for a marriage !

If I am asked "what would you do if your application to Canada is refused ?", my reply (and that of my wife) would be, "we will move to another country".
Our purpose is to be together, not to move to a country just because we like it.

I hear what your saying, being together should be #1 over anything no doubt. But let me ask you this, how would they differentiate my case from any other marriage that just didnt pan out for whatever reason? I would not tell them that Im not sure abuout this marriage lasting long term. And also my career requires me to bbe in the U.S. not only b/c I just want to live there.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
You really want us to tell you how to get away with this???

Lila

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I'm sure not all who intend on committing a fraud states that in their applications, however, the system eventually catches up with ya'll. If you are NOT sure of a lasting relationship then it's not love! For real, it's really just one of the rules of common sense, no? While many here wait patiently for the processing of application of our loved ones, others plot how to work against the system to satisfy their own selfish desires. Things that make you say wow! This is really a waste of a thread!

canadiangirl

Jan 25, 2010
canadiangirl said:
"Well I'm sure not all who intend on committing a fraud states that in their applications, however, the system eventually catches up with ya'll. If you are NOT sure of a lasting relationship then it's not love! For real, it's really just one of the rules of common sense, no? While many here wait patiently for the processing of application of our loved ones, others plot how to work against the system to satisfy their own selfish desires. Things that make you say wow! This is really a waste of a thread!"
I definently agree!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acer925 said:
I hear what your saying, being together should be #1 over anything no doubt.
And you stated that this was not the case.

acer925 said:
But let me ask you this, how would they differentiate my case from any other marriage that just didnt pan out for whatever reason?
You should ask, what is different between your case and someone who is paid to get someone into the USA ?
I suspect that you may get paid for it, but both cases are fraud.

acer925 said:
I would not tell them that Im not sure abuout this marriage lasting long term. And also my career requires me to bbe in the U.S. not only b/c I just want to live there.
OK, so now you see how it becomes a downward spiral, you are prepared to lie (withhold information) to immigration.
Why do you think there is a spousal immigration process, is it there so you can fraudulently bring someone into the USA, because there is no legal way for them to enter?

Get your friend to apply under a different class, it seems like they would not be successful.

Your OP is about "getting someone" into the USA, using the spousal system.

You don't believe that the marriage will work, so applying this way is fraud.

Anyway, I am bored of this - try Visajourney.com