+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage for canadian to stay

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First thank you all for your answers, I dont expect anyone to tell me that yes you can get away with it because thats the answer I believe. But please dont take me for a bad person, Im not getting paid, we truly love each other im just being logical about long term, I am not naive. Maybe it would work out who really knows? Im just being honest. What is so wrong about that or us wanting to try to have a life in the U.S.? I am not making a permanent decision on our marriage right now, like I said just being real and being logical..I just wanted to make sure I really cant get in trouble IF we wound up getting a divorce and where that would leave her thats all. I have to think ahead in this case people. gimme a break

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be inspired acer925, ...

If you really are honest then I wish you well, but..... think of this :

Try to imagine that someone has just emailed this thread, your email address, IP address and your details to the INS and CIC.

You have that in your head?

OK, I guess the feeling that you now have is similar to the one that would haunt you if you lie to immigration !

Be truthful, or it will bite you.

Have a nice day :)

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
hope u gonna get caught. cause of people like u we all have to suffer.
and yeah, its canadian immigration forum not american. so beat it.

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
acer925 said:
First thank you all for your answers, I dont expect anyone to tell me that yes you can get away with it because thats the answer I believe. But please dont take me for a bad person, Im not getting paid, we truly love each other im just being logical about long term, I am not naive. Maybe it would work out who really knows? Im just being honest. What is so wrong about that or us wanting to try to have a life in the U.S.? I am not making a permanent decision on our marriage right now, like I said just being real and being logical..I just wanted to make sure I really cant get in trouble IF we wound up getting a divorce and where that would leave her thats all. I have to think ahead in this case people. gimme a break
I hear ya!..

First off, this is the wrong place to post this.. mainy because many of us with kids and whole families have to go through hel with cic to prove that we are in it for long term and not ith our s/o just for an "option" as you state.
with your question you will not receive any sympathy from this forum.
Many of us are genuine couples trying to re-unite with our s/o but cant because of marriage fraud which has left many families broken, many couples separated for years!.
So just see where we are comin from!.

If you know you will not be in it for long term then how about dont marry her!!. maybe wait it out a coupe of years, .
Did you just meet this chic or something?

I find your question strange because i now many people who want to marry are completely sure they will not be getting a divorce!

As for CIC seeing it as fraud. do you honestly think they wont see right through it?. If they call you for an interview do you think they wont notice?.

Whether you mean to or not, what you are suggesting is classified under canadian Law as a marriage of convenience!. It will benefit her to be married to youand vice versa ..

Why would anyone marrysomeone if you arent sure it wont work out???
Then dont marry her???

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Asta you are right, first it is a Canadian immigration forum, second I would be more careful what do I post anywhere. Acer925 even if you just expressed your fears, it did not seem well and you are not going to get support or sympathy from most of us who do the process genuinly to be with our families not because we like the country or not. Third if I had been so reasonable, real and logical I would have chosen not to marry my husband but someone else from my own country to avoid immigration. It is not a fun activity and people like you makes it even harder for us. Please elaborate and do not risk jail and other consequences...I guess you might get the same answers on US forums as well.

alibaba

Star Member
Apr 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegerville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-10
AOR Received.
15th Novenmber 2010
Med's Done....
11th Novenmber 2009
LANDED..........
16th December 2010
if you are that doubtful about your marriage than why don't you apply as common law and build your relationship with her and eventually marry her,.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alibaba said:
if you are that doubtful about your marriage than why don't you apply as common law and build your relationship with her and eventually marry her,.
good answer, thanks. I actually read about that but from what I read, there has to be a raeson why you cannot get married in order to apply as common law partners. We actually are common law right now since I've been in Canada for more than a year. So I dont know if that would help us or not? We just want to both be able to work in the same country and live together!

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
Baloo said:
Be inspired acer925, ...

If you really are honest then I wish you well, but..... think of this :

Try to imagine that someone has just emailed this thread, your email address, IP address and your details to the INS and CIC.

You have that in your head?

OK, I guess the feeling that you now have is similar to the one that would haunt you if you lie to immigration !

Be truthful, or it will bite you.

Have a nice day :)
Well.. he could be posting from a library..
However, I think that risk is what stops "real scammers" from posting their ideas in forums.. specially one of this kind.
Which leads me to think that this guy might be just another troll :)

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My post just got really misconstrued. I shouldnt of put that title as my post. Do I truly love my girlfriend? Yes with all my heart. Are we trying to work things out to see if our relationship will last? Yes we are. Listen, love is not the only thing that matters in a relationship, theres a lot of other life issues. Life involves working, whether I work in Canada and she sponsors me or she works in the states, we have to work NOW regardless of if we are ready to get married or not..and the only way for that to happen is TO GET MARRIED. I'd be lying on here if I said I was absolutely positive our relationship will work, because like I said as much as we love each other we are trying to work things out , and to do that we must be together living a normal life but thers no way around having to get married to live a normal life in order to both work in the same country!

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
ACER..look at the bigger picture. you are marrying her so she can stay. K. Well imagine this...imagine winning the lotto one day like 5 million dollars....but at the time you win the lotto you really don't love your wife and want to get divorced..well she will get 2.5 million of your money. How will that make you feel? Don't enter into the marriage contract lightly...she might just end up getting half of every thing you own. :0 since neither of you were sure the marriage was gonna work out..

the thing is make sure this is the long lasting marriage for ever...cause divorce is painful. And when you met the right person, you will know it will be long lasting..you won't be having these questions before the marriage.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Even though this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I will try to be helpful.

The US has a very different immigration policy for spouses. We here know a lot about immigrating to Canada, but not to the US. As far as I know, US offers a 'fiance visa', where you can move your girlfriend down and she can work, if you are engaged. It is a lengthy process for her to get a green card, and you would have to be together throughout. You'd also have to find out what type of responsibility you would have as the sponsor - do you have to support her for a number of years?

More importantly than the immigration though...does she know how you feel? Is she willing to give up her life and family and home to move to the US, with you thinking it is probably not going to work out long term? Are you sure she wants to move to the US just to become American, or does she want to move to spend her life with YOU and perhaps is telling you that it's more about how much she loves America so as not to make you feel pressured?

It's a funny situation, because we mostly hear about people who don't love each other and marry for immigration purposes, or (like most people here) are madly in love and find the immigration process heartbreaking, and cannot wait to be together forever. We don't often hear about couples who love each other, want to immigrate, but don't plan to spend the rest of their lives together. So please forgive and understand the less-than-helpful responses you've received so far.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
bobshynoswife said:

The US has a very different immigration policy for spouses. We here know a lot about immigrating to Canada, but not to the US. As far as I know, US offers a 'fiance visa', where you can move your girlfriend down and she can work, if you are engaged. It is a lengthy process for her to get a green card, and you would have to be together throughout. You'd also have to find out what type of responsibility you would have as the sponsor - do you have to support her for a number of years?

More importantly than the immigration though...does she know how you feel? Is she willing to give up her life and family and home to move to the US, with you thinking it is probably not going to work out long term? Are you sure she wants to move to the US just to become American, or does she want to move to spend her life with YOU and perhaps is telling you that it's more about how much she loves America so as not to make you feel pressured?

It's a funny situation, because we mostly hear about people who don't love each other and marry for immigration purposes, or (like most people here) are madly in love and find the immigration process heartbreaking, and cannot wait to be together forever. We don't often hear about couples who love each other, want to immigrate, but don't plan to spend the rest of their lives together. So please forgive and understand the less-than-helpful responses you've received so far.
A person entering on a fiance visa has 90 days to marry their visa sponsor. It is a good thought though. ;D

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
heatherusa said:
A person entering on a fiance visa has 90 days to marry their visa sponsor. It is a good thought though. ;D
Ok...so that's how that works! I didn't know that. All I knew is that the US and UK have fiance visas, and we don't, and I desperately wished we had one so Michael and I could have been married in Canada. C'est la vie!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
bobshynoswife said:
Ok...so that's how that works! I didn't know that. All I knew is that the US and UK have fiance visas, and we don't, and I desperately wished we had one so Michael and I could have been married in Canada. C'est la vie!
That really would have made life much easier I think!

I actually applied initially for a FV to the US but it took so long that we would have missed the wedding that we planned (that was 12 years ago though)! Every process takes a long time, no matter what, it seems.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bobshynoswife said:

Thanks for an honest answer. To answer some of your q's, she knows exactly how I feel. She wouldnt be giving up much where she lives there is very little opporunity and she doesnt have family, she just really loves and wants to be with me. She wouldnt care if it was in Canada or not but Im the one who wants to go the states and my career dictates that. Im going to do more research into the fiance visa it sounds like a possibility for sure. Again thanks for an honest answer, I can see how people might not understand this b/c of all the other cases but like I said we just want to be able to live together , work, and go from there on our relationship and b/c of the system it seems like getting married would be the only way to do that.