MARITAL STATUS change after getting PPR

muhammadanas1987

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anybody guide me what would be the process if I get married before landing in Canada?
Is it advisable to postpone marriage till I get PR card? Or would it matter if I get married before landing?

Anybody else with such experience ???

ACE001

Jul 12, 2015
In PPR correspondence, it is mentioned that you have to notify them in case there is change in family composition or mailing address (before using your visas) such as:

- Family status (e.g. marriage, divorce, birth, adoption etc.)
- Conviction of a criminal offence (You or any family member)
- Mailing address/ email address/ contact information

I don't know what will be the procedure after informing them about the change; better to change family status after using ur visa/ getting ur PR card.

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
You cannot land using your visa now. You need to inform CIC, fill in forms again, and wait for them to process your wife info. It may take anywhere from 3 months to a year.

You can do a simple search in thia forum and there are many threads about it.

Satsu

Sep 8, 2014
muhammadanas1987 said:
Can anybody guide me what would be the process if I get married before landing in Canada?
Is it advisable to postpone marriage till I get PR card? Or would it matter if I get married before landing?

Anybody else with such experience ???
Hi,

I had a similar experience when I got married few days after getting my PPR. I hadn't submitted my PP for stamping instead I waited for the wedding to take place, got the marriage certificate & informed CIC about the change in Marital Status (before the expiry of 30days as indicated in PPR).

CIC acknowledged the marital status change & had requested for additional docs for my wife along with the medicals..

So my advice would be to - Add the spouse while application is still in process & get PR together rather than get PR alone & go through the Sponsor path later.. With respect to timelines, though adding spouse will cause a delay in the PR application, it's worth it when compared to the long sponsorship wait time!

muhammadanas1987

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Satsu said:
Hi,

I had a similar experience when I got married few days after getting my PPR. I hadn't submitted my PP for stamping instead I waited for the wedding to take place, got the marriage certificate & informed CIC about the change in Marital Status (before the expiry of 30days as indicated in PPR).

CIC acknowledged the marital status change & had requested for additional docs for my wife along with the medicals..

So my advice would be to - Add the spouse while application is still in process & get PR together rather than get PR alone & go through the Sponsor path later.. With respect to timelines, though adding spouse will cause a delay in the PR application, it's worth it when compared to the long sponsorship wait time!
How much time did they take to process wife documents.. ?

I hope they do not reassess your (principal applicant) profile again. Because it can result in losing your ITA cutoff

Satsu

Sep 8, 2014
muhammadanas1987 said:

I hope they do not reassess your (principal applicant) profile again. Because it can result in losing your ITA cutoff
It's been only a week since I submitted my wife's docs.. I'm hoping that it shouldn't take much time as all my checks have already been completed but you'll never know.. Fingers crossed.. Will keep you posted of any progress..

What about yours? Did u get the Visa stamped before getting married?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
muhammadanas1987 said:

Your points aren't reassessed if you get married anytime after getting your eAPR and before landing in Canada. If you don't add your spouse to your current application before 'landing' in Canada, they won't get PR status along with you now and you'll have to go through the longer process of spousal sponsorship later.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Asivad Anac said:
If you don't add your spouse to your current application before 'landing' in Canada, they won't get PR status along with you now and you'll have to go through the longer process of spousal sponsorship later.
This is incorrect, if you marry before landing and fail to update CIC on your marital status you will never be able to sponsor your spouse. You also put your own PR in jeopardy for committing misrepresentation. There are numerous threads about this on the family class section on this forum.

The best thing and the quickest in terms of getting your spouse to Canada is to add them to your application. If you marry after landing depending on where you are from processing times can be upwards of a year (some close to 2) and as a PR you the sponsor have to be in Canada the entire time.

muhammadanas1987

Star Member
Apr 11, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Satsu said:
It's been only a week since I submitted my wife's docs.. I'm hoping that it shouldn't take much time as all my checks have already been completed but you'll never know.. Fingers crossed.. Will keep you posted of any progress..

What about yours? Did u get the Visa stamped before getting married?
I m not married yet. And I will send my pp for stamping in a week.. just received ppr from local vo!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kangamoose said:
This is incorrect, if you marry before landing and fail to update CIC on your marital status you will never be able to sponsor your spouse. You also put your own PR in jeopardy for committing misrepresentation. There are numerous threads about this on the family class section on this forum.

The best thing and the quickest in terms of getting your spouse to Canada is to add them to your application. If you marry after landing depending on where you are from processing times can be upwards of a year (some close to 2) and as a PR you the sponsor have to be in Canada the entire time.
Apologies to the OP if my earlier post wasn't clear. The intention wasn't to mislead them into not announcing their marital status to CIC - that is mandatory and a given whenever it happens. It was restricted to 'adding' spouse to the PR application. It is completely legitimate to state that one is married and leave the spouse out of the application (not accompanying) for now. That ways, CIC is indeed made aware of the applicant's marital status but simultaneously neither the spouse lands in Canada along with the PA nor do they get PR status along with them.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Asivad Anac said:
Apologies to the OP if my earlier post wasn't clear. The intention wasn't to mislead them into not announcing their marital status to CIC - that is mandatory and a given whenever it happens. It was restricted to 'adding' spouse to the PR application. It is completely legitimate to state that one is married and leave the spouse out of the application (not accompanying) for now. That ways, CIC is indeed made aware of the applicant's marital status but simultaneously neither the spouse lands in Canada along with the PA nor do they get PR status along with them.
That is still incorrect, the spouse MUST be assessed. If you declare them to CIC they have to undergo medicals and background checks etc even if they are not accompanying the PR to Canada. The reason for this is that EE applicants and spouses are susceptible to medical inadmissibility whereas family class applications are not.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kangamoose said:
That is still incorrect, the spouse MUST be assessed. If you declare them to CIC they have to undergo medicals and background checks etc even if they are not accompanying the PR to Canada. The reason for this is that EE applicants and spouses are susceptible to medical inadmissibility whereas family class applications are not.
I never implied that the spouse is exempted from medicals or PCC requirements even,if they're not accompanying.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Asivad Anac said:
I never implied that the spouse is exempted from medicals or PCC requirements even,if they're not accompanying.
Then I don't understand your point, if the spouse is going to undergo medicals and police checks why would you declare them as non-accompanying? If the plan is for them to come to Canada soon anyway, they would get PR at the same time as you and save you a lot of time and money if they were just added to the application. Having them assessed as non-accompanying does not decrease the assessment time.

mejAl

Oct 25, 2015
kangamoose said:
Then I don't understand your point, if the spouse is going to undergo medicals and police checks why would you declare them as non-accompanying? If the plan is for them to come to Canada soon anyway, they would get PR at the same time as you and save you a lot of time and money if they were just added to the application. Having them assessed as non-accompanying does not decrease the assessment time.
Thanks Kangamoose/Asivad for your helpful advice. You guys(or girls?) rock! With all due respect Kangamoose, there are several reasons one may declare a spouse, but as non-accompanying- reasons such as spouse being tied down with work/projects at home country and does not wish migrate to Canada in the nearest future.

I was just wondering if in such case, the non accompanying spouse will need to submit not only med exams, but PCCs as well.

Baljas

Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-02-2016 pcc required for both applicant and spouse
AOR Received.
19-01-2016
IELTS Request
25-01-2016
Med's Done....
27-01-2016 (passed) BG check in progress 27-01-2016
Passport Req..
13-07-2016
Can anyone please guide me . What if I get an ITA and get married before submitting my documents and getting eAPR? Will that reduce my score ? Any suggestions are appreciated