+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2022 - citizenship applications

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
I was of the opinion that it was good or bad luck that determined if our applications were processed quickly or we would be subject to year long plus waits. I’m learning now that the IRCC uses AI they call advanced analytics to categorize and prioritize processing probably to get the most number of apps processed in the shortest time. AI does not decide apps but it may see an app that meets all requirements as less easy to process than another and put it into a slow lane that ultimately results in little or no backlog reduction and years long waits for the applicant. This isn’t fair with few exceptions applications should be processed in FIFO order. It’s the only way to reduce the backlogs and treat all applicants humanely. If the selective processing continues many will wait well beyond normal processing of 21 months.
I never really could understand why IRCC doesn't use FIFO. That's the fairest process. Currently we have people waiting who had put their applications in 2021 while those applying in 2023 are getting oath invites. It's outrageous.

It seems to me that IRCC's incentives are misaligned. Their KPIs include applications processed within 12 months and they like to say that we process 80% of applications within 12 months of receiving them. The problem with this KPI is that once 12 months are exceeded an application already becomes part of the backlog and has damaged their KPIs. So they don't process it quickly anymore. They move onto newer ones in order to keep their metrics looking good while those in backlog languish.

Forevergrateful

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Same for me
spoke with an agent and was told we will not need the tracker anyway going forward since I have received my email with invite details.

apparently after the ceremony, we get sent a form to complete and then we wait for the certificate. I’m your case hopefully you get it immediately since you opted for the digital. Would be great if everyone automatically get the digital copy and can request a paper one if needed.

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
I never really could understand why IRCC doesn't use FIFO. That's the fairest process. Currently we have people waiting who had put their applications in 2021 while those applying in 2023 are getting oath invites. It's outrageous.

It seems to me that IRCC's incentives are misaligned. Their KPIs include applications processed within 12 months and they like to say that we process 80% of applications within 12 months of receiving them. The problem with this KPI is that once 12 months are exceeded an application already becomes part of the backlog and has damaged their KPIs. So they don't process it quickly anymore. They move onto newer ones in order to keep their metrics looking good while those in backlog languish.
They are committing a gross misuse of AI by not forcing a FIFO processing order. AI is trained on recognizing the most common and processable applications and those that fall even slightly outside that domain are almost by definition descriminated against. THe broad and undisciplined use of AI will just lead to more and more discrimination of cases that dont fall squarely inside the norm. IRCC defends the use oof AI with the statement that AI does not make any final decisions. That doesn't matter if AI decides some apps will be processed and others delayed. It's making a defacto decision even if it is not technically the final decision.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
spoke with an agent and was told we will not need the tracker anyway going forward since I have received my email with invite details.

apparently after the ceremony, we get sent a form to complete and then we wait for the certificate. I’m your case hopefully you get it immediately since you opted for the digital. Would be great if everyone automatically get the digital copy and can request a paper one if needed.
My wife had a paper certificate all along (never gave her the option during the test) but during the ceremony they asked her if she wanted an e-certificate. My wife opted for it. However, they haven't gotten back to her yet (oath was on Wednesday and she sent the signed oath just after the ceremony).

Reactions: Forevergrateful

Jasmann21

Apr 4, 2022
Hi all

everything turned green on 31 may but updated in the tracker today and the oath says not started
So my question is how long it will take to get oath invite as per your experience
Thanks and good luck
Jas

kareem.h.sakr

Feb 9, 2023
Hi all

everything turned green on 31 may but updated in the tracker today and the oath says not started
So my question is how long it will take to get oath invite as per your experience
Thanks and good luck
Jas
There isn't a clear rule here, but for me I was a few days later. Good luck and hope that helps

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi all

Thanks and good luck
Jas
Yes, the timeline for oath is quite variable. All the way from within 1 week, to 7 months+.

In my reading on the forum, most people get it between 2 to 8 weeks of getting LPP completed. Mine came about 9 weeks after LPP completed.

Reactions: Forevergrateful

Aarti123

Jan 4, 2018
hi, i got my Oath ceremony invitation today for Virtual for Jun 20th
Took 3 months after completing test.
I didnt opt for virtual, it was given. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: smash1984

LetSusan

Star Member
Dec 14, 2022
I was of the opinion that it was good or bad luck that determined if our applications were processed quickly or we would be subject to year long plus waits. I’m learning now that the IRCC uses AI they call advanced analytics to categorize and prioritize processing probably to get the most number of apps processed in the shortest time. AI does not decide apps but it may see an app that meets all requirements as less easy to process than another and put it into a slow lane that ultimately results in little or no backlog reduction and years long waits for the applicant. This isn’t fair with few exceptions applications should be processed in FIFO order. It’s the only way to reduce the backlogs and treat all applicants humanely. If the selective processing continues many will wait well beyond normal processing of 21 months.
I am so frustrated by this. Where did you learn this about the AI? Is there anything we can do about it? Also, do you think country of origin makes a difference?

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
I am so frustrated by this. Where did you learn this about the AI? Is there anything we can do about it? Also, do you think country of origin makes a difference?
Here is an article that discuses use of AI by the IRCC. There is nothing here that tells me that there is any attention paid to processing in a FIFO order. It seems their goal is to process the most apps with the least effort without any regard to the unfairness that may result when fully qualified apps are allocated to a slow or non existent processing lane.
https://www.cicnews.com/2023/05/minister-fraser-clarifies-how-ircc-uses-ai-in-application-processing-0535198.html

• Haha
Reactions: CoorsHeavy

jnam

Nov 11, 2018
Finally Finally Finally!!
I have been schedule to take the oath.
Scarborough Office
Below the last steps timeline:
Nov 1st - Test Completed
Nov 10th - Background Completed
May 8th - Called IRCC (not sure if there was any impact or just coincidence)
May 9th - Invited for Interview
May 16th - Interview
May 16th - LPP Completed (Updated May 18)
May 17th - Invite for Oath (Updated May 19)
June 13th - Citizenship Oath

Does anyone know if the June 13th is an online or in person cerekonh
Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back for a long time like I was. I’m sure your time will come soon.
Congratulations
how long was your interview ?
What questions did they ask ?