+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MARCH 2020 *Outland* Spousal Sponsorship

Kalsiharjot

Star Member
Dec 30, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I had applied for spousal sponsorship visa for my wife.
recently I have been Laid off due to Covid-19.
My eligibility was done.
Her biometrics are done and Medical was sent but not updated on the status.

Does me being laid off affect the visa?
Not finding where should I be updating my job details to the immigration department.

newuser4567

Mar 29, 2020
Hi All,

I am sponsoring my spouse for family class sponsorship. I have submitted application recently. Still waiting for AOR1 and sponsor approval.
I submitted my job letter at time of submitting the application. However, now due to Covid the business has temporarily closed and employer has laid off all workers so they may apply for employment insurance. They have given us Record of Employment and submitted it to Service Canada. I have two questions now:

1- Will it affect my application as a sponsor that I am no longer employed? Maybe the business opens again maybe not. Do I need to inform them about this change in employment status? If yes, how?

2- I do not qualify for employment insurance as I was a new joiner at work (and new to Canada too). If I apply for the emergency care benefit that will be announced in April for those who dont have jobs, will it count as social assistance and can it affect my application as a sponsor?

ivatomov

Feb 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I had applied for spousal sponsorship visa for my wife.
recently I have been Laid off due to Covid-19.
My eligibility was done.
Her biometrics are done and Medical was sent but not updated on the status.

Does me being laid off affect the visa?
Not finding where should I be updating my job details to the immigration department.
We’re you already approved as a sponsor ?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi , I have a question . I got my application returned cause I did a silly mistake ( forgot parent’s DOB ) so they returned my application in feb and after resending it was received again in March 11. My question is : when they returned the application being not completed they joined a UCI number addressed to me ( sponsor ) I tried linking it with UCI only but I am not capable , maybe cause I still don’t have the AOR1 ..... does someone has an idea as to why I can’t link it into my CGkey ?
You will be able to link your account once they have started working on it. You might be able to link it before receiving AOR. And yes, you will use the same UCI. If you cannot link it yet it might be because you are entering something wrong, or they have not yet started to go through your application

syu18

Mar 30, 2020
Hi , I have a question . I got my application returned cause I did a silly mistake ( forgot parent’s DOB ) so they returned my application in feb and after resending it was received again in March 11. My question is : when they returned the application being not completed they joined a UCI number addressed to me ( sponsor ) I tried linking it with UCI only but I am not capable , maybe cause I still don’t have the AOR1 ..... does someone has an idea as to why I can’t link it into my CGkey ?
My friend, I am not sure what is going on with your current situation. But I have a question to ask here and I hope you can please help me, my question here is: did they send you an email in advance to notify you when they decided to return your application, or did they just return the package through canada post, so the time to found out that your application got returned was the time you received your back package?

ivatomov

Feb 5, 2020
My friend, I am not sure what is going on with your current situation. But I have a question to ask here and I hope you can please help me, my question here is: did they send you an email in advance to notify you when they decided to return your application, or did they just return the package through canada post, so the time to found out that your application got returned was the time you received your back package?
Hey , never got an email , they returned the application 3 weeks after it was received . What I noticed now ( update on their website ) since Covid 19 they will keep incomplete application for 90 days before returning them - crazy !

ivatomov

Feb 5, 2020
Hey , never got an email , they returned the application 3 weeks after it was received . What I noticed now ( update on their website ) since Covid 19 they will keep incomplete application for 90 days before returning them - crazy !
And I mean to say that I received the full application package by mail with an explanatory letter what is missing

syu18

Mar 30, 2020
And I mean to say that I received the full application package by mail with an explanatory letter what is missing
thanks for your reply, I think that means now they will allow applicant to submit the missing documents in 90 days without returning the application, it should be a good news if I my understanding is correct.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Warning to others - I would not count on them keeping an incomplete application for 90 days IF the issue is the applicant/sponsor forgot to sign or fill in key information.

The announcement says they would keep incomplete applications if a document is unavailable. Not because somebody forgot to sign something or didn't complete the application properly.

The intent - clear in the announcement - is that applicants who CANNOT get a document due to covid19 can apply and not have it returned or stopped/cancelled. They also ask applicants to provide information (a letter) explaining that some document is not available due to covid19.

For example, somebody applies from France and the French department of Documents Importants is closed and has suspended work due to the quarantine/lockdown in France.

It is NOT a guarantee that they won't send it back because you forgot to provide the right forms.

Your mileage may vary, it is not clear how it will be applied in practice. But it's a bad idea to rely on this lenience. It could conceivably make things worse if you have trouble getting information about whether the application has been accepted and they're holding it or have sent it back and post is working poorly, etc.

[I have no inside information - just saying no applicant should rely on this policy as how it works in practice may be difficult to figure out.]

Reactions: sh33p

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
thanks for your reply, I think that means now they will allow applicant to submit the missing documents in 90 days without returning the application, it should be a good news if I my understanding is correct.
I'm probably repeating myself, but it's not clear that you have a 'missing document due to covid 19'. If you're just worried you didn't properly fill something out, no guarantee it will not be sent back.

Obviously I hope it works out and it's not sent back.

visatalk

Mar 25, 2020
Do you guys think I’ll get a chance to send an amendment on the webform? I’m just waiting for AOR but once I get it I need to make a couple small corrections. I’m hoping we will still be informed of AOR so that I can send this inquiry...