+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
What does it mean why are they giving me retest. What if I do not pass the oral test
Generally, if you don't pass the second attempt, you will be scheduled for a hearing with a citizenship officer (this would be the third attempt and this will also be an oral test). If you fail the third attempt as well, then the application will be refused.

However, if you were asked to re-take the citizenship test because of technical difficulties like webcam issues, unclear photos etc (and not because you got less than 15/20 score), the "re-test" is actually considered as first attempt AFAIK.

Here's some reference :

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=361&top=5

If you do not pass the written test, but you meet the other criteria for citizenship, we will schedule you for a second test. This second test will usually take place 4-8 weeks after your first test, but the delay may be longer. If you are not available to take the test on that date, you must let us know.

If you do not pass the second test, we will send you a notice telling you to appear for a hearing with a citizenship officer. During this hearing, the citizenship officer may assess whether you meet all the requirements for citizenship. During an oral interview, the citizenship officer may:

• test your knowledge of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship;
  • ask questions about your residency in Canada; and/or
  • assess if you have adequate knowledge of English or French.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
What if I fail and my application is refused will I be able to apply later.
Did you fail the first time, or it was a technical issue?

This what they write on their website

What happens if you don’t pass your first test
If you don’t pass your first written test, but meet the other requirements for citizenship, we will schedule you for a second test. The second test usually takes place 4 to 8 weeks after the first test, but it may be longer.

If you don’t pass your second test, we’ll send you a notice telling you to attend a hearing with a citizenship official. The hearing:

• will last 30 to 90 minutes
  • may be in person or by videoconference
  • may be used to assess one or more requirements for citizenship, for example:
    • knowledge of Canada
    • language
If you don’t pass the test after 3 tries, we’ll refuse your application. You can re-apply to try again.
It seems you can apply again if they refused your application because of the test results. Study well and be prepared and hopefully you will pass.

Nouriddine

Jul 17, 2021
Hello everyone,
I just took the test while outside of Canada, will be back home in a few weeks, heard that when they know you are outside they consider your application as complex, is that true? I am outside of Canada for a family emergency. Is there a delay in processing your request because of this? thanks a lot

Alberta35

Jun 15, 2015
Edmonton
Finally took my test today (Aug 10) as I needed to take it by midnight Aug 12. Passed 19/20! I read the book twice, made notes, took a couple of practice tests (Richmond library's online test, I think)...reviewed my notes once more before the test. I believe I mentioned this before, but the test invitation email also requested copies of my travel documents which I sent to the Edmonton office within the requested timeframe.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Finally took my test today (Aug 10) as I needed to take it by midnight Aug 12. Passed 19/20! I read the book twice, made notes, took a couple of practice tests (Richmond library's online test, I think)...reviewed my notes once more before the test. I believe I mentioned this before, but the test invitation email also requested copies of my travel documents which I sent to the Edmonton office within the requested timeframe.
I've updated the spreadsheet.

Reactions: Alberta35