+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

March 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

Anjushka

Star Member
Mar 11, 2020
Any Mississauga office non-urgent applicant received the certificate recently? I want to get an estimate of time lapse between oath and certificate arrival. Thanks in advance.
I’m still waiting.
Had Oath on Dec 1 and application status showed closed on Dec 2.
I’d also wish to know an average timeline between Oath and Certificate arrival. I’ve read that some members got it really fast. While waiting I have already scheduled the passport application appointment.
Hope Certificate arrives by max end of next week, however will keep reading relevant posts so that I have more realistic expectations.
Good luck to all

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
What is your timeline dear ?
Hey I applied in March 2020. Tbh It was such a painful process that I don’t even try to remember all the details. Got my test this summer and then had to wait till October again, they asked for my passport pages. And 1-1.5 month after that finally got my oath invite and DM. I wasn’t expecting those two together I was surprised a bit. I have my oath now at the 4th of January.

I actually have a question for anyone that is reading this thread. I have a trip planned to the UK for the 31st of January which is almost 4 weeks away from the oath. If I try to expedite the certificate and then apply for urgent passport pick up I can make it to my flight right? I know it’s tight schedule but I’m hoping after Christmas and New Year, maybe waiting for the passport will take shorter time. What is the difference between Passport office and Service Canada office? Probably passport offices are better and faster eh? Any help I appreciate it!! Thanks!!!

Reactions: raaj051

Pashtun

May 25, 2017
App. Filed.......
09-03-2016
AOR Received.
11-04-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Waiting
Any Mississauga office non-urgent applicant received the certificate recently? I want to get an estimate of time lapse between oath and certificate arrival. Thanks in advance.
My oath was last month (Mississauga office) and I got my certificate in 10 days (7 business days). I requested express delivery but not sure if it was accepted.

Pashtun

May 25, 2017
App. Filed.......
09-03-2016
AOR Received.
11-04-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Waiting
Hey I applied in March 2020. Tbh It was such a painful process that I don’t even try to remember all the details. Got my test this summer and then had to wait till October again, they asked for my passport pages. And 1-1.5 month after that finally got my oath invite and DM. I wasn’t expecting those two together I was surprised a bit. I have my oath now at the 4th of January.

I actually have a question for anyone that is reading this thread. I have a trip planned to the UK for the 31st of January which is almost 4 weeks away from the oath. If I try to expedite the certificate and then apply for urgent passport pick up I can make it to my flight right? I know it’s tight schedule but I’m hoping after Christmas and New Year, maybe waiting for the passport will take shorter time. What is the difference between Passport office and Service Canada office? Probably passport offices are better and faster eh? Any help I appreciate it!! Thanks!!!
Congrats on getting the oath date! You should be good to receive your citizenship certificate and passport well on time. Mine took 10 days for the citizenship certificate after requesting expedited delivery while passport took 4 days which was express. They did not accept my urgent passport request since my travel was due in 5 days (and not in 1 day - but that's an option if it comes to that for you).

To your question on Passport office versus Service Canada office, honestly, I don't have much info on that. In my mind, I went to a passport office after looking up which one does urgent/express passport pick-up but it had Service Canada written at the entry. Just make sure you go super early around 7:30 am as a line forms pretty quick after that and the wait time is long. I went at 8 am and I was about #10 in line and my turn came around 9:15 am (office opened at 8:30). Mine wasn't a scheduled appointment but a walk-in.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Strawberry91

pedestal-man

Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawwa
NOC Code......
0**1
AOR Received.
25-05-2017

Suggestions: No need to request for urgent processing. You may book in-person appointment for passport during the 1st week of January (before you receive the certificate). Depending the date given, you might do express pick-up. See a timeline below:

Received- April 6. 2020
AOR- Oct. 26, 2020
In process- Nov 25, 2020
All checks and verifications completed( May 11)
Test invite from- May 12, 2021
Test passed: May 15, 2021 (Temporary result)
Local Office- SCRH. Office
Background verification: completed
Prohibitions, language skills and Physical presence: Updated to Completed. July 14/15, 2021
Citizenship test: Completed ( Invite May 12, Test - May 16, result updated May 18)
Sept 7: Oath invite received
Sept 13: Oath ceremony done and dusted
Tracker- Citizenship ceremony: complete
Application closed
September 20: Received certificates
Oct 5: Applied in person at passport office
Oct 14: Passport delivered.

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......

it is possible to make it for your trip to uk, but you will be taking a huge risk cutting it so close. That said, it all depends on how quickly you receive the citizenship certificate. I’m in Toronto and I got my citizenship certificate within 10 days after the oath, it’s relatively fast here. I suggest you check the average timeline for delivery in your city. During your oath ceremony you could show them your flight booking to let them know you urgently need the certificate.

Next is to find your nearest passport office and ask them if they accept urgent “walk-in” passport applications. Or you can proactively book an in-person appointment for like January 20th, assuming that urgent passport takes less than 10 days (mine took 6 days). Note: do not use Service Canada’s passport service they are much slower than the passport office.

Begin filling out the passport application form, get your guarantor and 2 references in order while you wait for the citizenship certificate. Also print your UK flight booking and include it with your passport application for urgent processing.

I wish you all the best!

Last edited:

raaj051

Star Member
Feb 20, 2021

What is your timeline ?

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
Pashtun, LizzyBob and pedestal-man I would like to thank each and every one of you for sharing your experiences and information with me! Hoping to make this work in time. I know it’s a tight schedule but I don’t have any other option as I have an appointment(it’s not related to a health issue though so it’s not an essential travel.)

So maybe I should get an appointment from a passport office as soon as possible for like January 20th. Do you think I can get multiple appointments in case if something goes wrong? And yes I will book my flights and tell them on the oath to expedite the certificate and with my oath form I will also send my flight tickets. I am from Calgary and they have been crazy slow in general so I’m a bit anxious. 4 weeks between oath and flight is like enough time normally but you know how slow things can get.. The most important part is like to be able to get that certificate in time I guess. I wish we could just pick that up but yeah..

Thanks again guys!

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
And sorry one more thing just came to my mind. So some are called Service Canada offices some are called passport offices. How do you get appointment from the passport offices? Are both Service Canada and passport offices done by the same online portal? I kinda prefer Passport Offices to Service Canada I guess. And is there anybody from Calgary that went through the same process? Thanks!!

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
And sorry one more thing just came to my mind. So some are called Service Canada offices some are called passport offices. How do you get appointment from the passport offices? Are both Service Canada and passport offices done by the same online portal? I kinda prefer Passport Offices to Service Canada I guess. And is there anybody from Calgary that went through the same process? Thanks!!
I’m not sure if the appointment system is the same in Calgary; but here in Toronto you can either go to the passport office in person to get an appointment or fill a form online and then the passport office will call you back a few days later to book the appointment.

I suggest you go to the passport office near you to find out their booking procedure and also ask them how many days to process an urgent passport; so you can plan ahead.

xlnc7

Dec 10, 2015
NOC Code......
A-1122
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-10-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
Received my certificate on 10 Dec. Oath completed on 24 Nov, Closed status on Portal on 25 Nov. Mississauga Office.

pedestal-man

Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawwa
NOC Code......
0**1
AOR Received.
25-05-2017
1. by walk-in in any passport office in Calgary
2 by appointment- complete the form below online and they will call you to schedule an appointment

https://eservices.canada.ca/en/service/

3. Get your guarantors and passport photos ready. You may start filling the application form well ahead of time

vvvvdddd

Nov 5, 2021
Hi all! A bit overview of my app status:

March 2020 applied
Sep 2020 AOR
Jan 2021 Background Check Completed

Since Jan 2021 I haven't received no updates, is there anything I can do here besides waiting? I've requested GCMS notes earlier, its been well over a month and I've received no response except the automated one saying they won't respond if its not an emergency or related to Afghanistan.

Also how do I know which office is processing my application? I applied from Brampton, ON. Is that something I get notified of in the later steps?