+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***>>> March 2020 AOR <<<***

Kitkat2020

Feb 6, 2020
There is no update on my application online, so would like to know the status of my application at current date
Yes, just call and ask IRCC agent for status update, you can be very specific or not . Example wanting to know if eligibility has been met or just ask for a status update to know what has been met/passed.
I did today and agent told me everything was passed, just waiting final decision. So fingers crossed.
March 8 AOR
PNP- Inland
Biometrics exempted- Updated Oct 13
Medical passed -Oct 13
Eligibility - met
Security/Criminality-passed

Reactions: Rajsree84

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
I dont remember exactly the dates but i remember they were like one week apart. I’m not sure if these triggered the status updates but FYI: - My 2nd GCMS notes request was received by IRCC on oct 2 (may have triggered 1st ghost update)
- BC completed on 9th (2nd ghost update)
Popular belief is that Gcms Notes can cause a Ghost Update. Some people will even say;

Requesting GCMS notes for many applicant's causes a GU since before the GCMS notes are release they have to be reviewed by an officer, and in some cases where there is a pending document, or an update, the same is made in the GCMS notes by the officer, resulting in a GU.

But that is not the case; requesting Gcms Notes does not cause a Ghost Update.

Nonetheless, a Ghost Update is a positive sign which implies an update made to the application in the background.

Reactions: AlexiBaron

Ckay128

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
@caipsnotes @legalfalcon
I have a doubt.. hope you guys will bear with my anxious mind . When I requested notes via the privacy act on September 24, I was assigned a temporary tracking number. It’s was written further that a new number will be assigned to me, but I never received any email after that. I thought that’s the only number which I can use for the reference regarding notes.
Someone on Facebook posted that he ordered notes 3 times never received them (atip, access to information act).
2 days are remaining for my 30 day mark. Is there any chance that I won’t receive notes ?
Or if the request was successfully registered I would have received a new tracking number ? Other than the temporary one.
TIA

Sulee

Oct 22, 2020
I got an mail on this monday from ircc to confirm my current address and last date I entered Canada and the port.

They haven’t asked the photo and didn’t send copr letter.

until now there is not any update for that.

Is it normal for other applicants who have received similar mail from ircc?

my aor : 02 mar
Biometrics exempted

AlexiBaron

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
I got an mail on this monday from ircc to confirm my current address and last date I entered Canada and the port.

They haven’t asked the photo and didn’t send copr letter.

until now there is not any update for that.

Is it normal for other applicants who have received similar mail from ircc?

my aor : 02 mar
Biometrics exempted
when your Bio exempted? did you get the Ghost update? when?

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
@caipsnotes @legalfalcon
I have a doubt.. hope you guys will bear with my anxious mind . When I requested notes via the privacy act on September 24, I was assigned a temporary tracking number. It’s was written further that a new number will be assigned to me, but I never received any email after that. I thought that’s the only number which I can use for the reference regarding notes.
Someone on Facebook posted that he ordered notes 3 times never received them (atip, access to information act).
2 days are remaining for my 30 day mark. Is there any chance that I won’t receive notes ?
Or if the request was successfully registered I would have received a new tracking number ? Other than the temporary one.
TIA
Hello @Ckay128 if you applied directly and received the temporary tracking that's confirmation enough that IRCC is in receipt of your request. You will only learn of the new number assigned to your request only when IRCC corresponds with you either to seek clarification about the request you submitted or when it finally releases your Gcms Notes to you. The new number will be in the email subject from IRCC and also included as part of Gcms Notes PDF file name. If you need to follow up with IRCC you can do so with the temporary tracking number as well. If you don't receive the file by the 31st day reach out to IRCC; sometimes they do miss a beat and files are delayed without an explanation. (hence this investigation)

Where it gets confusing for a lot of folks is when 3rd party Gcms companies send the email with temporary tracking number to their clients. For the applicants who receive these emails there is no way for them to authenticate that this number truly belongs to them. When IRCC sends a confirmation email with the tracking number that email is addressed to the person who submitted the request and there is no reference in that email to whose information was requested. So sharing these temporary tracking numbers is misleading, gives a false sense of assurance and creates confusion between the temporary and new number.

Reactions: Aham.F

Ckay128

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hello @Ckay128 if you applied directly and received the temporary tracking that's confirmation enough that IRCC is in receipt of your request. You will only learn of the new number assigned to your request only when IRCC corresponds with you either to seek clarification about the request you submitted or when it finally releases your Gcms Notes to you. The new number will be in the email subject from IRCC and also included as part of Gcms Notes PDF file name. If you need to follow up with IRCC you can do so with the temporary tracking number as well. If you don't receive the file by the 31st day reach out to IRCC; sometimes they do miss a beat and files are delayed without an explanation. (hence this investigation)

Where it gets confusing for a lot of folks is when 3rd party Gcms companies send the email with temporary tracking number to their clients. For the applicants who receive these emails there is no way for them to authenticate that this number truly belongs to them. When IRCC sends a confirmation email with the tracking number that email is addressed to the person who submitted the request and there is no reference in that email to whose information was requested. So sharing these temporary tracking numbers is misleading, gives a false sense of assurance and creates confusion between the temporary and new number.
Thank you for your response, I will wait till the 31st day. However, I thought I had to follow up with Atip if it gets delayed , but your reply suggests Ircc. So, how to contact Ircc in regards to the gcms notes ? Calling them is not a very viable option for me as I usually working during their operational hours.
Thank you

Reactions: Sedorfwhite

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon
TIA

You are correct. When you file your request with IRCC ATIP, you are given a 7-8 digit number. This is what every one gets and you use this number to communicate with IRCC and the Office of the Information Commissioner. However, if you requested your GCMS notes under the Privacy Act, the Office of the Information Commissioner has nothing to with it as the Privacy Act is overseen by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (see below for details).

The ATIP Number or the permanent number is one that is assigned to the file after the request is filed. It is the one you see on your GCMS notes when they are released. All GCMS notes are processed pursuant to the Access to Information Act and as per section 7 of the act the requested information has to be released within 30 days. Section 7 reads:

Where access to a record is requested under this Part, the head of the government institution to which the request is made shall, subject to sections 8 and 9, within 30 days after the request is received,

Most requests will be released within 30 days. However, if you do not receive your request within 30 days, you can send one Email to IRCC ATIP at ATIP-AIPRP@cic.gc.ca to enquire about the status of your GCMS notes and in the email you will quote the tracking number (the 7-8 digit number) that was send to you in your confirmation email.

If you do not get a response from IRCC ATIP, of even after getting a response wherein they say that the request is placed on priority, an a lot of time has elapsed, you ca file a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner who investigates such delays.

When you file a complaint you only need the temporary 7-8 digit number issued by IRCC. This is because you do not have the permanent tracking number until IRCC provides you one or your get one from IRCC, which in both cases is counterintuitive as when IRCC is not responding, your likelihood of getting a permanent number is slim and if you do not have one, you cannot file a complaint. So a permanent tracking number is not required.

When you submit a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner through their website, you only need the temporary tracking number, and then provide them with a copy of the email that you received after you submitted your request.

PRIVACY ACT

If you submitted your request under the Privacy Act, then too IRCC has to release the requested information within 30 days. Section 14 of the Privacy Act states:

Where access to personal information is requested under subsection 12(1), the head of the government institution to which the request is made shall, subject to section 15, within thirty days after the request is received,

• (a) give written notice to the individual who made the request as to whether or not access to the information or a part thereof will be given; and
  • (b) if access is to be given, give the individual who made the request access to the information or the part thereof.
If you do not receive the requested intonation with 30 days then you can send an Email to IRCC ATIP at ATIP-AIPRP@cic.gc.ca to enquire about the status of your GCMS quoting your temporary tracking number, and if no response is received you can then file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada who oversees the implementation of the Privacy act and will investigate the delays as per section 29 of the Act, which states:

(1) Subject to this Act, the Privacy Commissioner shall receive and investigate complaints

• (b) from individuals who have been refused access to personal information requested under subsection 12(1);

COMPLAINTS

When you file a complaint with either the Office of the Information Commissioner or the Privacy Commissioner you ONLY NEED THE TEMPORARY TRACKING NUMBER issued to you and the copy of the email sent to you confirming that your request was filed.

The Information Commissioner before a parliamentary committee appearance in March 2020, announced that she has initiated a systemic investigation into the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The investigation will look at the processing of access to information requests, based on a large influx of delay and time extension complaints recently received by her office.

When in doubt you can call the Office of the Information Commissioner or the Privacy Commissioner at the number on the website. Both the offices are very helpful in assisting and providing information of how to file a complaint or provide any follow up after the complaint is filed.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Angel1113

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello all,
I am silent follower of this forum and i am thankful to all for sharing their knowledge over.

I am currently on an Open workpermit in canada which is vaild until april2021. My Aor is march 25 , bio done on 5th Oct and i am PNP Inland applicant.
Security is not started yet on my file.

does anybody have any idea that can we travel outside canada for 2-3weeks now with this status,? Or what if i get copr while i am outside of canada cause i heard they are doing softlanding nowadays so should we inform ircc about our travel dates? @legalfalcon

any help is appreciated

thank you

Yes, you can travel outside Canada. Lately, IRCC is sending emails confirming your physical presence in Canada:

I have been assigned to process your Permanent Resident Application XXXXXxXX - parties on this application are - XXXXXX (UCI XXXxxxxx) and family Xxxxxxxx(UCI xxxxxxxx), xxxxxxx (UCI xxxxxxxxxx),and Xxxxxxxxxx (UCI xxxxxxxxxx) .

Can you please verify that you and all family members on this application are currently in Canada at this time. If all family members are in Canada, then they can be granted Permanent Resident Status Virtually. If you are not in Canada, then you will be landed either at a Port of entry upon returning to the country or you can make an appointment with Immigration upon returning to the country.

In order for me to complete the Confirmation of Permanent Resident documents I will require you to verify each family members’ first and last entry dates with the Port of Entry. Please note when providing the first entry date, we are asking for the date that you made Canada your home, not the dates that you enter as a visitor.

Please provide a your Canadian residential address and mailing address as well in the email.
This is done because when the COPR is given, and when it is activated / stamped, all other existing visas are cancelled and you will need a PRTD to travel back. However, if IRCC is aware that you are outside Canada you can inform IRCC and follow the instructions.

Reactions: Invisibleguy

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I dont remember exactly the dates but i remember they were like one week apart. I’m not sure if these triggered the status updates but FYI: - My 2nd GCMS notes request was received by IRCC on oct 2 (may have triggered 1st ghost update)
- BC completed on 9th (2nd ghost update)
A ghost Ghost Update merely indicates that there has been some movement in your file. This can be as mundane as moving a file from one office to another, a major one such as passing of a stage, or adding documents to your application etc. .

Requesting GCMS notes for many applicants causes a GU since before the GCMS notes are release they have to be reviewed by an officer, and in some cases where there is a pending document, or an update, the same is made in the GCMS notes by the officer, resulting in a GU. A comparison of the date when the GU happened with when the GCMS notes are requested, could be anecdotal, but does result in a GU, as reported on the forum by many applicants.

Since GU is neither described in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, nor the regulations, or any of the cases, it is just a speculative interpretation, unless someone has also read GU in the law. You can review my previous responses to the forum member posted to understand the time frame when they saw GUs. My responses to the posts are available at:

A GU only signifies a movement in the file, which can be as mundane as adding a document to your file, moving it to another VO, or a major one as completing of a stage. To know what triggered a GU you will have to see your GCMS notes and compare the activities in it with the date you received your GU.

However, not all applicants receive a GU. Some never do and get a PPR, some receive 4-7.
Ghost updates are just generic updates which signifies a movement in your application. Some applicant never receive any GU and their application is approved, others will receive 3-5 duding the processing. Getting a GU and the GCMs notes a day after is just a coincidence since the GCMS notes have no bearing on the processing of your application. They are entirely two different processes.

The processing of your application happens under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, whereas the GCMs notes are released under the Access to Information Act.
available at #4,152

A GU just signifies an update or movement. It is difficult to predict what exactly triggered the GU.

Instead, wait for another 2-3 weeks and request another set of GCMS notes or send a webform asking specifically for eligibility.
at
#2,013

Finally, a GU is not a conclusive determination of anything, but only an indicator of movement in file.

Some people have a problem of selective amnesia where they only read what they think is relevant and start quoting a selective part to prove their point.

However, as I have always maintained, immigration is law, and everything else is just speculation or an opinion.

In the end it is your application, your choice and your decision on how to go about it. When in doubt, read the law.

Law is nothing but some codified common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexiBaron

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020
You are correct. When you file your request with IRCC ATIP, you are given a 7-8 digit number. This is what every one gets and you use this number to communicate with IRCC and the Office of the Information Commissioner. However, if you requested your GCMS notes under the Privacy Act, the Office of the Information Commissioner has nothing to with it as the Privacy Act is overseen by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (see below for details).

The ATIP Number or the permanent number is one that is assigned to the file after the request is filed. It is the one you see on your GCMS notes when they are released. All GCMS notes are processed pursuant to the Access to Information Act and as per section 7 of the act the requested information has to be released within 30 days. Section 7 reads:

Where access to a record is requested under this Part, the head of the government institution to which the request is made shall, subject to sections 8 and 9, within 30 days after the request is received,

Most requests will be released within 30 days. However, if you do not receive your request within 30 days, you can send one Email to IRCC ATIP at ATIP-AIPRP@cic.gc.ca to enquire about the status of your GCMS notes and in the email you will quote the tracking number (the 7-8 digit number) that was send to you in your confirmation email.

If you do not get a response from IRCC ATIP, of even after getting a response wherein they say that the request is placed on priority, an a lot of time has elapsed, you ca file a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner who investigates such delays.

When you file a complaint you only need the temporary 7-8 digit number issued by IRCC. This is because you do not have the permanent tracking number until IRCC provides you one or your get one from IRCC, which in both cases is counterintuitive as when IRCC is not responding, your likelihood of getting a permanent number is slim and if you do not have one, you cannot file a complaint. So a permanent tracking number is not required.

When you submit a complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner through their website, you only need the temporary tracking number, and then provide them with a copy of the email that you received after you submitted your request.

PRIVACY ACT

If you submitted your request under the Privacy Act, then too IRCC has to release the requested information within 30 days. Section 14 of the Privacy Act states:

If you do not receive the requested intonation with 30 days then you can send an Email to IRCC ATIP at ATIP-AIPRP@cic.gc.ca to enquire about the status of your GCMS quoting your temporary tracking number, and if no response is received you can then file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada who oversees the implementation of the Privacy act and will investigate the delays as per section 29 of the Act, which states:

COMPLAINTS

When you file a complaint with either the Office of the Information Commissioner or the Privacy Commissioner you ONLY NEED THE TEMPORARY TRACKING NUMBER issued to you and the copy of the email sent to you confirming that your request was filed.

The Information Commissioner before a parliamentary committee appearance in March 2020, announced that she has initiated a systemic investigation into the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The investigation will look at the processing of access to information requests, based on a large influx of delay and time extension complaints recently received by her office.

When in doubt you can call the Office of the Information Commissioner or the Privacy Commissioner at the number on the website. Both the offices are very helpful in assisting and providing information of how to file a complaint or provide any follow up after the complaint is filed.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this info. I applied for GCMS on 12th of Sept for myself through privacy act and still haven't recieved them. I will follow up with them regarding this.

Reactions: legalfalcon

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

Saradeen+

Star Member
Aug 9, 2018
I just get off the phone with an agent inquiring about my application. He said I did pass the eligibility, medical, and waiting on biometric.

AOR March 27th. Hopefully good news soon!

Reactions: harshrk6392

Sachin007

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Singapore
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
What is the difference between a background verification and Security verification. I got the webform reply like this

• The background verifications are in process.
  • The security background verification has not been initiated.
  • The criminal background verification is currently valid.