+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manitoba and Saskatchewan - got any settlement questions?

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
If you are into the outdoors Ottawa/Gatineau area its great. Ottawa has 2 universities and does have a young professional scene. It's not as exciting as Toronto or Montreal b... Would only move to any of the cities mentioned if you had a job opportunity.
I see.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Haha, i agree with having different experience when you dont share interests in the majority of hobbies/activities etc which the larger group does. During my time, i met most of the people i now know from Hikes/meetup groups and church. Although, i simply want to not go back to seeing rain all the times, i dont mind it and rather love the cloudy weather but after getting a flavor of mid-western sun i realized Seattle weather definitely messed with my mood which back then i wasnt aware of.

I see, i did get the same feeling after reading a bit more about Winnipeg earlier today.
I wasn't describing Winnipeg as a small city or bad for dating/meeting people, when I said people struggled when they moved back to "the country" I meant REALLY the country, i.e. small towns of 8,000 people. Winnipeg has a good social scene :) and for Canadian standards it is a medium sized city.

I also came across more places in my search earlier today , they are "Waterloo" and "Burlington". Any thoughts about these 2?.
I think Canuck78 answered your questions about those ones. Personally I don't know enough about either one, sorry.

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
I wasn't describing Winnipeg as a small city or bad for dating/meeting people, when I said people struggled when they moved back to "the country" I meant REALLY the country, i.e. small towns of 8,000 people. Winnipeg has a good social scene :) and for Canadian standards it is a medium sized city.
I see okay :)

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
Its a little bit off topic but i thought id also ask some opinions about a specific sort of lifestyle (i have in mind) and how and if it will turn out if i put it to practice in Canada after moving.

I am thinking to play a little cool for couple months and just soak in different places, perhaps stay somewhere for a couple of months then move on to a different city (most major cities). Having been in the industry i am in for about 7 years now, i feel like experiencing a change and going for a simpler part time kind of job that allows more time for exploration and in which work naturally involves interacting with more people. So this removes the notion of going only to places where certain types of jobs are available.

Since i have never done anything but what i do for a living now (Healthcare software solutions) since college, its veering a bit into 'the unknown' for me.

Have you guys any thoughts about this, that if one can afford a modest but decent place to live in and pay day to day expenses (basic needs etc) in most of the cities, given the minimum wages and the cost of living while on a job that doesn't eat up all your day ? (I can guess a little bit about doing this here, but not sure if it will be the same in Canada)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I think one of the appeal for me about Ottawa is the fact that i will get exposed to French-Canadian culture. I kinda get excited thinking about learning some french too , and being around french speakers definitely will help ;)
You will be exposed to French-Canadian culture in Manitoba. Winnipeg is the largest French-speaking city in North America outside of Quebec. There are numerous smaller towns that are predominantly French speaking, even if most Franco-Manitobans are thoroughly bilingual and there is no pressure on a non-native French speaker to be perfect. You will also frequently hear the very interesting Franglais spoken as people effortlessly switch back and forth, sometimes in the middle of a sentence. Festival de Voyageur is held every February and there are French immersion schools at various locations in the province. That said, you could also live your life in Manitoba not knowing any French whatsoever and be fine, although some provincial government jobs dealing with the public may be easier to get if you are bilingual.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
You will be exposed to French-Canadian culture in Manitoba. Winnipeg is the largest French-speaking city in North America outside of Quebec. There are numerous smaller towns that are predominantly French speaking, even if most Franco-Manitobans are thoroughly bilingual and there is no pressure on a non-native French speaker to be perfect. You will also frequently hear the very interesting Franglais spoken as people effortlessly switch back and forth, sometimes in the middle of a sentence. Festival de Voyageur is held every February and there are French immersion schools at various locations in the province. That said, you could also live your life in Manitoba not knowing any French whatsoever and be fine, although some provincial government jobs dealing with the public may be easier to get if you are bilingual.
You'e absolutely right, thanks for adding this :) we do have a nice francophone community in Manitoba. At work I speak more French than English.

Reactions: links18

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Its a little bit off topic but i thought id also ask some opinions about a specific sort of lifestyle (i have in mind) and how and if it will turn out if i put it to practice in Canada after moving.

I am thinking to play a little cool for couple months and just soak in different places, perhaps stay somewhere for a couple of months then move on to a different city (most major cities). Having been in the industry i am in for about 7 years now, i feel like experiencing a change and going for a simpler part time kind of job that allows more time for exploration and in which work naturally involves interacting with more people. So this removes the notion of going only to places where certain types of jobs are available.

Since i have never done anything but what i do for a living now (Healthcare software solutions) since college, its veering a bit into 'the unknown' for me.

Have you guys any thoughts about this, that if one can afford a modest but decent place to live in and pay day to day expenses (basic needs etc) in most of the cities, given the minimum wages and the cost of living while on a job that doesn't eat up all your day ? (I can guess a little bit about doing this here, but not sure if it will be the same in Canada)
The only sector where I know you can do this is teaching, depending on what they teach and the kind of school, they make between 40 and 60 dollars per hour, so they can definitely live with a part time job. But you need a bachelor of education. Maybe there are other industries where salaries are above $30/hour (which would be a bit over twice the minimum), for sure all the regulated trades but maybe some non regulated ones too. Check out the career explorer tool I shared before to see the average earnings for other sectors that interest you.

Reactions: damon88

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
The only sector where I know you can do this is teaching, depending on what they teach and the kind of school, they make between 40 and 60 dollars per hour, so they can definitely live with a part time job. But you need a bachelor of education. Maybe there are other industries where salaries are above $30/hour (which would be a bit over twice the minimum), for sure all the regulated trades but maybe some non regulated ones too. Check out the career explorer tool I shared before to see the average earnings for other sectors that interest you.
I have a Bachelors in Info. tech, I have done teaching in the past though at a private institution in my own field. This definitely sounds good to me except for the degree specifically 'in education' part in case they do not let you in in the absence of it. :(

Okay, i will give the tool a roll today for this search. Thank you!

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
I have a Bachelors in Info. tech, I have done teaching in the past though at a private institution in my own field. This definitely sounds good to me except for the degree specifically 'in education' part in case they do not let you in in the absence of it. :(

Okay, i will give the tool a roll today for this search. Thank you!
You can't teach K-12 without a B.Ed in Canada, there's no way to get around that requirement. But you could be a college or university instructor, that's just four to six hours a week plus office hours, and if you're not making enough money you could complement it with tutoring (25-45 dollars an hour depending on experience and skills).

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
You can't teach K-12 without a B.Ed in Canada, there's no way to get around that requirement. But you could be a college or university instructor, that's just four to six hours a week plus office hours, and if you're not making enough money you could complement it with tutoring (25-45 dollars an hour depending on experience and skills).
Can someone who is a health profession work as a teacher?

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Can someone who is a health profession work as a teacher?
Not unless they also get a bachelor of education. Nobody can teach K-12 in Canada without a bachelor of education, no exceptions. But you could be an instructor at a post-secondary institution (university, college, or clinic). They often look for instructors or assistant instructors in the health sector.

Reactions: damon88

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Not unless they also get a bachelor of education. Nobody can teach K-12 in Canada without a bachelor of education, no exceptions. But you could be an instructor at a post-secondary institution (university, college, or clinic). They often look for instructors or assistant instructors in the health sector.
Can you provide me with links on where to apply for such

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Can you provide me with links on where to apply for such
You could find them yourself. For Winnipeg, look up the employment or careers websites for Red River College and MITT if you are in nursing or health care aid, or the employment website of the University of Manitoba if you are a doctor. If you speak French, look up the employment website of the Université de Saint Boniface. In Brandon, check out the employment website of Brandon University and Assiniboine College. In Saskatchewan check out the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Regina.

They may not have anything right now but check often between June and September, as job postings like that are up for one week only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolverine17

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
College and university lecturing jobs are actually very competitive. In many cases you can't survive on the salary and they are contract positions. Most have to patch together a few opportunities unless they are able to get a permanent position which either involves a research or administration role. It will be quite hard for a health professional who has been trained outside of Canada (or at least NA) to get a teaching job unless highly specialized and no Canadian applicants with similar skills. Once they are licensed and have practiced in Canada for a period of time they can compete with Canadian candidates.