+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Manitoba and Saskatchewan - got any settlement questions?

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
I thought I'd start a thread about settling in MB or SK, as all previous ones are pretty old. If you will be settling in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, feel free to post your questions below. If I have the information you need, I will be happy to share, and if not, hopefully someone else will have an answer for you :)

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
Hey,
I havent really decided where i am going to settle in Canada. Can you share your thoughts on if Manitoba or SK will be a good choice for someone with (US) Healthcare EDI background (or to generalize, Software background), Or perhaps for someone completely new to Canada and starting over (regardless of their current job profile)

I will be moving from US.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Hey,
I havent really decided where i am going to settle in Canada. Can you share your thoughts on if Manitoba or SK will be a good choice for someone with (US) Healthcare EDI background (or to generalize, Software background), Or perhaps for someone completely new to Canada and starting over (regardless of their current job profile)

I will be moving from US.
Where in the US are you coming from? If you don't want to disclose the city, just mention the general region :)

I can't really tell you that settling in MB or SK is better than other places, it all depends on your personal preferences and experience. I come from a very large city and originally settled in Vancouver, and when I moved to Winnipeg I thought I would hate it, but I am happier here than I ever was in Vancouver. Prairie cities have some advantages over bigger cities, namely the cost of living (an average sized, average neighbourhood, not-new house can cost $750,000 or more in big cities, and over a million dollars in Vancouver, whereas in Winnipeg it would be around $275,000 ballpark, and maybe a bit more expensive than that in SK but definitely less than ON, BC and QC), and the fact that they are quiet, growing cities. Labour-wise, newcomers are doing better in MB than anywhere else, in average: "Immigrants to Manitoba have fared better in the labour market than newcomers to other provinces" http://www.gbm.scotiabank.com/scpt/gbm/scotiaeconomics63/mb_outlook_2018-05-17.pdf

In terms of your field, I couldn't find something specific for healthcare EDI but in general for electronic data management/processing/etc. here is some info about your job prospects in Manitoba: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/search_occupation-eng.do?area=11326&lang=eng&noc=2172&action=Search&regionKeyword=Winnipeg,+MB&s=2&source=0&titleKeyword=EDP+(electronic+data+processing)+systems+analyst#report_tabs_container2

And in Saskatchewan: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/search_occupation-eng.do?area=29307&lang=eng&noc=2172&action=Search&ln=p&regionKeyword=Regina,+SK&s=2&titleKeyword=analyst,+database#outlook

The Job Bank tool I shared above can help you analyze job markets in any city in Canada, I recommend that you use it to explore other cities. Check out Expatistan and Numbeo to compare general costs of living, and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation for rental and real estate costs across the country: https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/hoficlincl/homain/stda/index.cfm

Whichever province you choose, I recommend that you settle in either the largest city or the capital city of each province. As you probably know, the health system is government-provided and for each province is a monopoly operated by the government of said province. Most of the data administration would take place in the capital (Winnipeg for MB), or in the largest city in the province (for example, Vancouver for BC). In SK I'm not sure whether it would be Regina or Saskatchewan, but definitely don't go to Prince Albert or Moose Jaw.

Hope this info is helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions. And if you know of anyone else who is considering MB or SK, feel free to send them to this thread :)

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
Hey, thank you for such a detailed response and the time you put in. I really appreciate it.

I have lived for a couple of years in Seattle and loved it, and it might be weird but i too found myself thinking i wouldn't like living in a smaller city or a town until i came to mid-west, i have been to both 2 largest cities in Nebraska. I am at Lincoln , NE right now and quite like it.

I looked at population stats for Winnipeg and Lincoln is about 7th the size in numbers and about 4th the size in terms of square km. So definitely its still a bigger place than where i am right now. Only thing that bugs me about being here is the fact that its hard to make new friends and relationships here. The lack of single professionals makes things difficult as most of the age group is either college folks or married 35+ folks. It was way easier than when i was in Seattle. I still miss that. So thats one of the things i am looking for in a place where i am going to move next.

I have been fishing online for more information about different cities in Canada and Ottawa is also something i have in mind. What are you thoughts on choosing Ottawa and it compared to lets say Winnipeg ?

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Hey, thank you for such a detailed response and the time you put in. I really appreciate it.

I have lived for a couple of years in Seattle and loved it, and it might be weird but i too found myself thinking i wouldn't like living in a smaller city or a town until i came to mid-west, i have been to both 2 largest cities in Nebraska. I am at Lincoln , NE right now and quite like it.

I looked at population stats for Winnipeg and Lincoln is about 7th the size in numbers and about 4th the size in terms of square km. So definitely its still a bigger place than where i am right now. Only thing that bugs me about being here is the fact that its hard to make new friends and relationships here. The lack of single professionals makes things difficult as most of the age group is either college folks or married 35+ folks. It was way easier than when i was in Seattle. I still miss that. So thats one of the things i am looking for in a place where i am going to move next.

I have been fishing online for more information about different cities in Canada and Ottawa is also something i have in mind. What are you thoughts on choosing Ottawa and it compared to lets say Winnipeg ?
Vancouver is a lot like Seattle. The weather is the same, people are a lot into hiking, yoga, Starbucks (lol), organic food, sustainability, etc. It's really modern too. Also, they have a very large Chinese community and a significant Indian community, though not as big as the Chinese one. Winnipeg has a sort of midwestern feel: hockey and football, BBQing, festivals, fishing, lots of Ukrainian, German and midwestern food, and it is an agricultural province, so there are many rural towns nearby and country music fans in the city. It is VERY multicultural, so people are welcoming and, in my opinion, more easy-going than in Vancouver. But that is my experience, maybe other people have felt way more welcome in Vancouver than in the Prairies (maybe it was because I don't camp or hike?).

In terms of meeting single professionals, I would definitely advice sticking to medium-to-large cities, because small cities and towns will have exactly what you are finding right now: young people fresh out of high school, or married couples with children. My husband's friends who are still single and moved back to the country are struggling with that too. Besides, the IT/data management side of all the health departments is always in the largest cities of each province.

My husband travels to Ottawa for work several times a year, he says the following: "It has some interesting areas and most people there are established professionals, so it might have some of the same challenges you are facing in Lincoln." I asked him if it is anything like Washington DC (as both are federal capitals), and he said there may be similarities but it is a considerably safer city than DC. Also, some of my friends from Vancouver moved there, and one had a hard time making friends and is trying to get transferred back to Vancouver, whereas two other (both in their 30s) met their significant others there and are really happy compared to Vancouver. It is next to, or rather fused with, Gatineau (Quebec), so you will also get a taste of French-Canadian culture and society there. But it definitely has a capital city feel to it, whereas Winnipeg is very "prairies", which is the closest thing we have to midwestern culture. Employment-wise, I think your odds are equally good in either city, because you are fluent in English (obviously, since you're American), and in a field that is growing and very much in demand as health systems modernize and streamline the way they handle patient data, no matter whether you are in Ontario or Manitoba.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
What are the average rental prices and minimum wage in manitoba and how does it compare to toronto?
Rental prices are waaay lower in Winnipeg than in Toronto. But you can see that for yourself :) https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/esub/64725/64725_2015_B01.pdf?fr=1526864430147 go to page 24.

You can also see the minimum wages yourself, here: http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wid/sm-mw/rpt1.aspx?GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA . Ontario's is $14, Manitoba's is $11. You can compare their cost of living here: https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/winnipeg/toronto?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually think Ottawa may be a good fit for you. Not sure about job prospects but would be much better than opportunities in your field in MB and SK.

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Actually think Ottawa may be a good fit for you. Not sure about job prospects but would be much better than opportunities in your field in MB and SK.
Why would Ottawa be any different in terms of opportunities in his field? He would always work for a provincial government, not the federal one, so I don't really see the advantage of Ottawa in this case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why would Ottawa be any different in terms of opportunities in his field? He would always work for a provincial government, not the federal one, so I don't really see the advantage of Ottawa in this case.
Ottawa has a pretty decent tech industry plus various consulting firms, etc. He is in healthcare tech not just healthcare.

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
Vancouver is a lot like Seattle. The weather is the same, people are a lot into hiking, yoga, Starbucks (lol), organic food, sustainability, etc. It's really modern too. Winnipeg has a sort of midwestern...way more welcome in Vancouver than in the Prairies (maybe it was because I don't camp or hike?).
Haha, i agree with having different experience when you dont share interests in the majority of hobbies/activities etc which the larger group does. During my time, i met most of the people i now know from Hikes/meetup groups and church. Although, i simply want to not go back to seeing rain all the times, i dont mind it and rather love the cloudy weather but after getting a flavor of mid-western sun i realized Seattle weather definitely messed with my mood which back then i wasnt aware of.

In terms of meeting single professionals, I would definitely advice sticking to medium-to-large cities, because small cities and towns will have exactly what you are finding right now: young people ...Besides, the IT/data management side of all the health departments is always in the largest cities of each province.
I see, i did get the same feeling after reading a bit more about Winnipeg earlier today.

My husband travels to Ottawa for work several times a year, he says the following: "It has some interesting areas and most people there are established professionals, so it might have some of the same challenges you are facing in Lincoln."... Employment-wise, I think your odds are equally good in either city, because you are fluent in English (obviously, since you're American), and in a field that is growing and very much in demand as health systems modernize and streamline the way they handle patient data, no matter whether you are in Ontario or Manitoba.
I think one of the appeal for me about Ottawa is the fact that i will get exposed to French-Canadian culture. I kinda get excited thinking about learning some french too , and being around french speakers definitely will help ;)

Im actually glad to get your and your husbands perspective on these cities, it definitely resonates similar message to other sources i have frequented since last night.

Looks like i only have a couple of choices on my list then.

I also came across more places in my search earlier today , they are "Waterloo" and "Burlington". Any thoughts about these 2?.

damon88

Feb 6, 2018
Ottawa has a pretty decent tech industry plus various consulting firms, etc. He is in healthcare tech not just healthcare.
Glad to hear about the tech industry and consulting firms.

Some online reading indicated that, in Ottawa one needs to be fluent in French as well, to apply for jobs (majority govt but some private sector jobs too)
Is this the case ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Haha, i agree with having different experience when you dont share interests in the majority of hobbies/activities etc which the larger group does. During my time, i met most of the people i now know from Hikes/meetup groups and church. Although, i simply want to not go back to seeing rain all the times, i dont mind it and rather love the cloudy weather but after getting a flavor of mid-western sun i realized Seattle weather definitely messed with my mood which back then i wasnt aware of.

I see, i did get the same feeling after reading a bit more about Winnipeg earlier today.

I think one of the appeal for me about Ottawa is the fact that i will get exposed to French-Canadian culture. I kinda get excited thinking about learning some french too , and being around french speakers definitely will help ;)

Im actually glad to get your and your husbands perspective on these cities, it definitely resonates similar message to other sources i have frequented since last night.

Looks like i only have a couple of choices on my list then.

I also came across more places in my search earlier today , they are "Waterloo" and "Burlington". Any thoughts about these 2?.
If you are into the outdoors Ottawa/Gatineau area its great. Ottawa has 2 universities and does have a young professional scene. It's not as exciting as Toronto or Montreal but is a great place if you are in your late 20s or early 30s. Burlington is essentially suburban Toronto. It is only well known because it made a list of the most livable city. Don't really agree with the study. KW is both a university town and a tech centre. Would only move to KW if you had job. Would only move to any of the cities mentioned if you had a job opportunity.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Glad to hear about the tech industry and consulting firms.

Some online reading indicated that, in Ottawa one needs to be fluent in French as well, to apply for jobs (majority govt but some private sector jobs too)
Is this the case ?
For many government job you have to be bilingual or some jobs require you to become bilingual. The language requirement is pretty minimal.